Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times

Advertisements

Maybe we should just give criminals a big hug and try to understand their motivation. Yeah, that'll prevent crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 04:24 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
It might be suggested that having even one person incarcerated is a regrettable failure, to lead the world in this the troubling sign of a very unbalanced society.

Those welcoming such things might question what is in their heart, and what their humanity is constituted of.
Geez, I think I'm gonna hurl.

There have been criminals since the dawn of time, and from a historical perspective, we're pretty lenient in how we deal with them today.

I have some friends that ran sort of a foster-parent halfway house--they took in troubled adolescent kids of various ages and tried to love 'em over to the good path. It was an unqualified disaster that repeatedly put them and their family into harm's way. They'd tell you from several years of experience that there is evil in this world walking on two legs, and all the love and touchy-feely caring won't stop a bad one from trying to find your credit cards or some time alone with your toddler when you're not looking.

I welcome incarceration of predators as a preferable alternative to playing the role of their prey. The regrettable failure is when we fail to identify and isolate the predator before he/she pounces, or worse, when we do identify one and let them feast again.

I can't remember who said it, but I like this quote: "a conservative is a liberal that's been mugged." Idunn, you need to spend some time among the criminal element. For that I suggest you head to Denver this August.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:54 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
It's scary to think that most of the people entering prison will get out at some point. Prison does nothing to make them change for the better.

Violent offenders: lock them up
Sexual predators: lock them up
Drug offenders: fines, rehab
Property Crimes: restitution, community service, fines.
White collar crime: restitution, probation, fines.
DUI: loss of license, community service.

These are just some examples. A one size fits all approach is pointless in my opinion. It causes more harm then good. It's also more expensive to lock someone up.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
It's scary to think that most of the people entering prison will get out at some point. Prison does nothing to make them change for the better.

Violent offenders: lock them up
Sexual predators: lock them up
Drug offenders: fines, rehab
Property Crimes: restitution, community service, fines.
White collar crime: restitution, probation, fines.
DUI: loss of license, community service.

These are just some examples. A one size fits all approach is pointless in my opinion. It causes more harm then good. It's also more expensive to lock someone up.
Isn't this pretty much what is happening now?

Old 05-10-2008, 06:51 PM

43 posts, read 110,727 times
Default and your point is ?

What is your point? It's really very simple .. Do the crime, do the time

Perhaps if people weren't stupid enough to be criminals, our prisons wouldn't be so over crowed?

Personally, I'm glad they are locked up as opposed to walking freely amongst law abiding people

Old 05-11-2008, 08:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
In my daughter's college town, students who violated alcohol laws and got caught by the local police (a small percentage, mind you), frequently spent a night in jail. I do not think this is a bad thing. It's a good object lesson. I consign a special place in hell for DUI offenders who kill people. I'm not an advocate of long prison sentences for alcohol offeneses, but it does hit home a little more than delivering Meals on Wheels or whatever.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,700 times
Idunn...It would be great to put all those defective genetic codes in your backyard so they could sing Kum-by-Yah while holding hands, but I don't think that would last very long. Soon as they saw your possessions and stole them, then saw your wife and daughter and raped them, suddenly your rosey glasses might just slip off that long elitest nose you look down to the rest off us. Having been a prosecutor for a number of years I can tell you, some people are just wired wrong and need work...Besides, prisons are job security for good honest folk )

Old 05-11-2008, 12:16 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Many on this forum might consider me a some neo-liberal wacko (which I'm not) on some issues, but on this subject I'm a staunch conservative. Personally, I think that any person convicted of a felony should be required to undergo immediate and non-reversible sterilization as part of their sentence. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who is a convicted felon probably isn't fit to be a parent, either. For some, especially some of the "macho" types, that might be a strong disincentive for criminal behavior. It might also stem some of the criminal behavior that seems to go generation after generation in some families. I would also extend that requirement to minors convicted of adult-type crimes. To those who say this would be "cruel and unusual punishment," I would note that we regularly suspend or end certain rights otherwise considered "sacred"--the right to vote, for example--to those convicted of felonies.

By the way, when I was in public service, we would regularly have Colorado DOC inmate crews working in or around my workplace. In that controlled environment, they could actually be fairly productive and civil, but there was no doubt that the hardened criminals among them--and that was probably 2/3's--would be back at their criminal ways within days of their release, no matter what kind of "rehabilitation" they received. As others have said, once those people reach that point in their lives, a lot of them simply are not going to be saved.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:32 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,793,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Personally, I think that any person convicted of a felony should be required to undergo immediate and non-reversible sterilization as part of their sentence.
There's no way you could get that past the courts, but it wouldn't be too hard to get public support for bribing felons to get sterilized. If you gave them five years off their sentence, it would be enough to convince the vast majority of people to get fixed.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:22 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
I am not touching this with a 100 foot pole...nope. I could ramble on about my libertarian beliefs and I don't want to get into that here. Some societal things I will get into, some taxes issues, politics...if you know anything about libertianism, read up.

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: