Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2022, 07:55 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
I beg to differ. . . . Where I live . . . if a leak develops on the provider's side of our meter, it is entirely their responsibility. . . .
However, if the leak develops on our side of our meter, it is entirely our responsibility to notice, repair, & pay for. . . .

We ALL can check our water meters regularly AFTER turning all of our taps are OFF. If we then find the meter is running even though all the taps ARE OFF, we know there is a leak somewhere that needs to be located & repaired. If instead the meter has stopped, especially over time, it indicates no leak on our side of our meter. . . . Unless the meter itself is broken & is causing the false reading. I've read of that happening more than once.

One of many videos on Youtube that show how to discover whether we have a leak,
(there are some for detecting leaks in the house, or, underground) . . .
(be sure to read the comments under it, too) is this one:

How to Find Water Leaks
- Water Meter Hasn't Stopped Spinning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq8tqIkU_JA
Right. So the landlord should be routinely inspecting his water meter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 10:09 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
We’ve had more than a month of monsoon-thunderstorm threat almost every day, with some actual rain sometimes. But it doesn’t make up for several consecutive years of little or no snow in winter and little rain in spring and summer. Worse yet, it never could make up for the dreadful Use It All Now way of managing water, which only exacerbates a natural phenomenon.

We (in the western USA) don’t save for a dry day, just as too many people don’t save for a financially rainy day.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:43 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
This weekend there's a flow of tropical moisture set to move up from Mexico and dump all over the southwest. Hope it happens.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-19-2022, 05:32 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
We’ve had more than a month of monsoon-thunderstorm threat almost every day, with some actual rain sometimes. But it doesn’t make up for several consecutive years of little or no snow in winter and little rain in spring and summer. Worse yet, it never could make up for the dreadful Use It All Now way of managing water, which only exacerbates a natural phenomenon.

We (in the western USA) don’t save for a dry day, just as too many people don’t save for a financially rainy day.
Same thing here in western Mesa County. The Four Corners drought situation is as nasty as anything I've seen. I was through there a couple weeks ago visiting friends in Albuquerque, came down 141 and had lunch in Dove Creek.

Mesa County really catches it in spots but NOT the spots we need. The burn scar on the Pine gulch fire area got really soaked. I'm only nine air miles from there, Fruita and Loma/Mack damn dry. Glenwood Canyon has been catching it but only in spots. The Grand Mesa fortunately has seen some good storms but not enough. I'm only a quarter mile from the Colorado River, it's not a pretty sight.

And speaking of rivers, going up to the Yampa River near Steamboat the Division of Parks and Wildlife put in a fishing ban, about a half mile stretch near Stagecoach State Park near the dam due to critical low water flow (meaning not much snowpack over the winter). It goes from the dam itself to the park boundary.

Another long and hot summer. Mesa County is getting a cool down, temps near Fruita right now is 80 and will stay there through the weekend. but how about rain? I am watching GJ's aBC affiliate KJCT right now, a wall of water is covering the Grand Mesa near Delta. They are calling for rain and lots of it near the Grizzly Creek area tonight.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:32 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Lots of rain in Mancos so far.Jackson lake is full and great fishing.Glad we live at the headwaters and not downstream.Lucky us I guess.

Old 08-20-2022, 01:14 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
I beg to differ. . . . Where I live . . . if a leak develops on the provider's side of our meter, it is entirely their responsibility. . . .
However, if the leak develops on our side of our meter, it is entirely our responsibility to notice, repair, & pay for. . . .

We ALL can check our water meters regularly AFTER turning all of our taps are OFF. If we then find the meter is running even though all the taps ARE OFF, we know there is a leak somewhere that needs to be located & repaired. If instead the meter has stopped, especially over time, it indicates no leak on our side of our meter. . . . Unless the meter itself is broken & is causing the false reading. I've read of that happening more than once.
Thank you for your helpful suggestions!

My case is somewhat unique in that I live on an irrigated alfalfa/hay farm in rural SW Colorado. The ranching family that owns this place have generously given me an entire water share (irrigation water, of course) all of my own. In exchange, I make sure that the fruit trees growing on the property are properly irrigated. There is an outside tap for "city" water, but I almost never use it except to keep the swamper going in the summer. This summer I never even hooked up the swamper since the monsoon came through for us with lots of RAIN (be still, my heart!) and cooler temps. So, I never had a reason to check on the water meter. However, since the amazing $36,000.00 water bill, I do check the city water meter to make sure that the repairs that the rancher made are still holding.

Other wise, I couldn't agree with you more and suburban renters would be wise to follow your advise.

Old 08-20-2022, 08:14 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Same thing here in western Mesa County. The Four Corners drought situation is as nasty as anything I've seen. I was through there a couple weeks ago visiting friends in Albuquerque, came down 141 and had lunch in Dove Creek.

Mesa County really catches it in spots but NOT the spots we need. The burn scar on the Pine gulch fire area got really soaked. I'm only nine air miles from there, Fruita and Loma/Mack damn dry. Glenwood Canyon has been catching it but only in spots. The Grand Mesa fortunately has seen some good storms but not enough. I'm only a quarter mile from the Colorado River, it's not a pretty sight.

And speaking of rivers, going up to the Yampa River near Steamboat the Division of Parks and Wildlife put in a fishing ban, about a half mile stretch near Stagecoach State Park near the dam due to critical low water flow (meaning not much snowpack over the winter). It goes from the dam itself to the park boundary.

Another long and hot summer. Mesa County is getting a cool down, temps near Fruita right now is 80 and will stay there through the weekend. but how about rain? I am watching GJ's aBC affiliate KJCT right now, a wall of water is covering the Grand Mesa near Delta. They are calling for rain and lots of it near the Grizzly Creek area tonight.
The rains are spotty here, too. Although we got some earlier this weekend, my husband biked past a section of road only two to three miles south of us and reported that their (dirt) driveways all had been washed out to the point of needing someone to scrape them. Neither we nor our neighbors had that happen...this time. We got it a few years ago.

Yet today in Towaoc (farther south still), the parking lot for the pow-wow grounds was so dry that a vehicle driving very slowly in it still raised a shocking amount of powdery dust.

Old 08-21-2022, 11:27 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Perins Peak, Simms and Christmas, all tiny, all 100 % contained.

What a fizzle this megadrought-Fire Season thread this turned out to be.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:33 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Indeed. So far so good - at least as far as Colorado goes. However, we still prayed for rain at the Church service I attended this morning and when I drove over to City Market to pick up a few things, there were two - count 'em TWO - busloads of Hotshot crews from California preparing to hit the road. Wonder where?

You know McDog, don't be misled if we end up getting a break from the worst of it this wildfire season. Things are not so completely relentless - yet.

The other thing is that wildfire "season" is getting to the point where it lasts 10 - 12 months a year - some season. Remember the Marshall fire? You better! That sucker started on December 30, 2021 and was the most destructive fire in Colorado history. There's little doubt in my mind that we can expect more fires just like it coming to a town near you - maybe even your own town!

Wanna make a bet? I bet you $10 bucks that Pueblo West or some other enclave within 20 miles of the greater Pueblo metro area will experience at least one wildfire by or before December 30, 2025.

DM me if you dare!

Old 08-27-2022, 06:00 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

It is in Mesa County as well, but that's ok. No fires needed. The last week has been just weird. My neighbor called me up several days ago and told me he was at Carlsbad Caverns sleeping in his car and so was 150 or more doing the same thing. Moab hit the jackpot on monsoon storms and flooded the hell out of downtown.

Right now Idaho has several fires going in the central part of the state.Yet little old Fruita gets a 10 minute storm here, a 15 minute storm there. Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado