Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 05:24 PM

336 posts, read 698,109 times

Advertisements

Shaw's Trading Post in Cotopaxi? Sounds as if it's a business
but it's a home for sale that we are interested in...could you
please tell me if it is secluded or if there is a lot of other
homes in the surrounding area...also, I know that Cotopaxi
is a small area...but would you consider it a desirable
location to live?

Thanks so much...
Terri...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:52 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,480,618 times
Let me give you some history about Cotopaxi. It was originally established in the 1880's as a "utopian" Jewish commune. Mostly it was a land scam. The Jewish settlers who came there nearly starved to death trying to eke out a living farming the infertile rocky soil around there. Eventually, nearly all of them relocated to Denver, many being taken in by the Jewish community in Denver. Since then, it has been a sparsely populated settlement. For a number of years, a few railroad maintenance employees lived there with their families. Since that chunk of railroad has been shut down since the late 1990's, I think most of those families have moved on. There are a few tourist-related businesses there, but I suspect most residents either work in Salida or Canon City (a long commute either way), are "lone eagle" telecommuters, or are retired.

Cotopaxi is a pretty spot, but in the days of $4.00 and up fuel, it--like a whole lot of other Colorado locations--is not likely to be an especially desirable place to be for people if their work or their children's schooling requires them to regularly go to a larger town some distance away. That is a lifestyle that--like it or not--has a pretty bleak future, in my opinion.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 PM

336 posts, read 698,109 times
Thanks Jazz...well, you give us something to think about...but it says
that Cotopaxi has a school district...at the moment no one is in school...
but my daughter is expecting...so that would be on our list soon enough...
we will have to keep the commute time in mind though...thanks again...

Old 01-23-2009, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,534 times
Hello Terri, I know the house you are questioning. It was on my list shown by a realtor from Westcliffe Brenda Bosse of Martin and Tope in June of 2006. It has been on the market for quite awhile. At that time there would have been much work on the stairway up too the grill patio and the grill was weathering away. I also noticed on the specs, the house priced around 698,00, I think in 2004. Potential is there, for the money. You would have to have an appreciation for the mountain wilderness. There are several homes in the area, although with acreage between homes, so there is privacy. Much to say with little space. Good luck. IF you get it, I would love to visit and see what you do with it. WHen I considered the furniture was for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado