Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 02:31 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneval View Post
Bluescreen: Thank you so much for all the traffic advice and other detailed tips. - I really appreciate knowing how to avoid these traffic traps I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

I'm curious - Driving to and from DEN, what route would you take to avoid E-470 (in particular, to and from Castle Rock? It seems like the main road that google map directions give to get to DEN. We may spend the night in Castle Rock on the way in and out (Arrival flight at 8 pm on a Mon, and flight out 2 pm on a Friday).
To avoid tolls going to the airport from Castle Rock it's I-25->I-225->I-70->Peña Boulevard. Traffic shouldn't be terrible either of those times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 02:35 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I wouldn't recommend that cluster of peaks to someone who's just passing through and looking for a day or so to kill. The trailhead is difficult to get to. You need a high-clearance 4WD to get to the trailhead. If you don't have one you're adding an additional 5.5-6 miles and 1,100' of vertical gain on to what is already a long day. Crestone Peak and Crestone Needle are two of the more-difficult 14er ascents in the state. Both feature significant amounts of gain and are subject to considerable exposure and rockfall. Injuries and fatalities on those two peaks are a yearly occurrence. Humboldt is easier, but it's still not a walk in the park. It's 11 miles and 4200' of gain from the upper trailhead. If the OP has the requisite vehicle and is just looking to stop in the valley below the peaks, then it's not a terrible day.
Yes, you're correct. I'd forgotten that one needs a serious vehicle to really get to the trailhead, at least from the east side. I've never approached from the west.

Another hiking idea is the Collegiate Peaks area just west of Buena Vista. Of course they are sizable peaks that take some time and physical effort to summit, but one can have a nice hike without going all of the way to the top. As always, a person should begin heading down if there is any lightning in the area.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:14 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,979 times
Trinidad is a nice area to plan an overnight. then it's easy driving to the touristy stuff from there.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:45 PM

6,544 posts, read 7,127,359 times
When I flew in to meet Denver friends for a boarding trip to Taos, we took 25 to Walsenburg, then west to Fort Garland, then south to Taos. Just my opinion, but everything south of the springs until we got to Taos wasn’t appealing at all to me/was very poor/rundown.

When we left, we went north to Salida and stayed there, was a cool place. More scenic drive, etc…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado