Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 02:55 PM

5 posts, read 9,976 times

Advertisements

Hello:

Hope you are doing well!
I'm somewhat of a newbie on this forum so bear with me if this is a repeat posting. Feel free to point me to other threads that may provide insight on my questions below. I am just trying to get some ideas from experts and knowledgeable folks out there.

I recently posted another thread asking other members for ideas on owning a 'nice' property in the CO area for $150K. It was apparent pretty quick that I was way out of my league on that idea.

So, let me take another shot at this and ask a slightly broader question. Colorado is where my heart is at, but I know it is wishful thinking to find a 'nice' place there in that price range.

Q: Are there any other western states (with mountains) like AZ or WA that might fir my criteria of 'nice' and price range?

Q: Are there any areas in CO that may seem far and rural right now, but may have the potential to grow in next 10 years?

In my last thread, there were some questions on what constitutes as 'nice'.
Here's how i would define a 'nice' area:
- desirable place within 1 to 2 hour driving distance of a city (i.e., denver, colorado springs, seattle, phoenix, etc.) with clear mountain views.
- has a suburb feel to it, but isn't too rural.
- has a 'feel' of a small/medium city.
- family-friendly and laid back lifestyle.
- demographics do not matter at all as long as the aforementioned items are covered.

Thanks again for your help and advice. My apologies if i something in my thread comes across as inappropriate. That was not my intention.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 03:10 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Maybe near Pueblo?

Old 08-23-2021, 10:23 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times
If you want affordable in Colorado you have three choices.
  1. The Eastern Plains
    You can see Longs Peak from Fort Morgan, but it's a rural farming community.
  2. Small, non-resort areas on the Western Slope
    Think Craig, Delta, Rangely. Craig and Rangely are isolated. Delta is close to Grand Junction, but is economically stagnant.
  3. Pueblo
    Issues with crime and poverty. Weak economy.

Other than that, maybe try someplace like Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Better first decide which climate, career, services, food, healthcare, will be necessary in your future.

Then draw a few 2 hr commute radii from your necessary sized city.

Small Rural towns will be the least expensive / most desirable quality of life (if you don't mind solitude and often very great and caring neighbors and community.

W western slope of Colorado will probably be least expensive to also include mtns or view.

Eastern Plains (near Nebraska and Kansas) can be very inexpensive, but you'll have to squint to see mtns. I have seen decent homes under $50k in places like Wray, Haxtun, Fleming. But even $150k is very unlikely on the front range and within mt. Views. I don't recall your minimum Size home, or need for schools.

Left coast, and AZ / ID / NV are so close to California, that home prices. stay high due to exodus of real estate capital

Old 08-24-2021, 06:27 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,515,063 times
You might try looking around La Junta or Crowley County....

Old 08-24-2021, 07:30 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,695,452 times
If an hour or two of Denver is a must, many of the options listed are a no go. The western slope areas are at least 3-5 hours away from Denver or even Salt Lake City.
Cheyenne is a depressed area. Having just driven through there a few months ago we wondered what happened. It seems to have gone down hill.
Laramie WY was a nice surprise. Maybe you can check out that college town. That would be on the edge of a two hour drive to Denver.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:55 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
A home in Colorado for $150,000 is probably going to be a single wide trailer in a place you don't want to live.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:58 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
The only house in Laramie under $160K
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...77842563_zpid/

Old 08-24-2021, 08:01 AM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Go on Realtor and type in $150k max and look. There’s places in CO for $150k…8 Ronnie Road in Golden is one.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:33 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
Look into Canon City metro, city itself and close in subdivisions outside it.

$150k wont have many options. Here is closest I saw: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean.../Canon-City_CO

Maybe Woodland Park.

For Arizona and Washington recommendations, you should post in those forums (changing the post a bit to that state). This is what I found on quick check in Washington:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ch/Chewelah_WA

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...h/Clarkston_WA

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...Walla-Walla_WA

In Arizona, I'd look in Camp Verde, Taylor, Winslow, Ash Fork...

8 Ronnie Road, better look very deeply into viability of fixing well / septic permits.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-24-2021 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado