Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 09:24 AM

1,406 posts, read 801,246 times

Advertisements

Just had to toss almost an entire bag that looked perfectly fine when I bought it yesterday, not for the first time. It's like if you don't eat it the day you get it, it turns brown and/or slimy almost immediately.

I've found spinach leaves last longer, which is fine for salads, but I prefer lettuce over spinach for sandwiches.

I never had to worry about this back when I lived in Florida, a bag of salad mix would last a week or more in the fridge. Is there some trick to keeping lettuce fresh here? I have one of those special containers that is supposed to help (kind of like this) but I haven't found it effective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 09:45 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I'm a Coloradan born and raised and I've always had issues with produce not lasting as long as I need it to. Apparently high altitude does affect how long it lasts, and some produce doesn't last as long up here. Choosing and Using Produce at High Altitudes

Old 10-10-2021, 10:48 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I am a little over a mile above sea level in New Mexico and I have noticed the same thing. It is certain fruits and vegetables and not others.

My inference is that it is partly the dry atmosphere, but also because New Mexico (and maybe Colorado?) is at the end of a distribution chain so the stuff we get may be comparatively older than produce in California and other major distribution points like in the Northeast.

My most successful strategy for lettuce has been to put it in a produce bag that has been loosely folded over on top to allow a little breathing, but not leave it completely exposed to the air, and put it in the crisper drawer. I only buy head lettuce (iceberg, romaine, green) because I can't eat the bagged stuff fast enough.

For tomatoes, which I refuse to refrigerate* I find that you need to pick the ripest ones you can find, almost soft, and eat them within 1-3 days at most. They never seem to ripen on the counter unless it is very warm. Oddly enough, I only have this problem with store bought. My own garden tomatoes can be picked a few days before peak ripeness, and then ripen on the table and last for a week or more without softening. *If I don't eat a whole tomato, I will refirgerate the remainder and use it cooked like in a stew, fried, with roasted veg, within 2 days.

I never have significant problems with apples, citrus, onions, or potatoes, but I keep them in as cool a spot as reasonably possible (but not in the fridge). I suppose they dry out a bit faster than they would at sea level.

Old 10-10-2021, 12:36 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
I have discovered that grocery stores always put their freshest bags of greens at the very back of the bin, so I always check the expiration dates and I have no shame when it comes to rooting out the freshest bags. I have lived in Colorado almost all my life, so I never knew that greens last longer in other states. ABQConvict's comment about being at the end of the distribution line makes sense as a possible explanation.

Here's a trick to try if your greens are just beginning to wilt and some of the leaves are beginning to turn brown. Dump the bag of greens into a colander and run cold water over them, turning the greens often and discarding any really wilted or brown leaves. Then fill the sink with cold water and put the greens in to soak for about 20 minutes to freshen them up. This has saved the dinner's salad for me more than once.

Or you could put in your very own backyard garden and pick your own greens 10 minutes before you serve them.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:29 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I have discovered that grocery stores always put their freshest bags of greens at the very back of the bin, so I always check the expiration dates and I have no shame when it comes to rooting out the freshest bags. I have lived in Colorado almost all my life, so I never knew that greens last longer in other states. ABQConvict's comment about being at the end of the distribution line makes sense as a possible explanation.

Here's a trick to try if your greens are just beginning to wilt and some of the leaves are beginning to turn brown. Dump the bag of greens into a colander and run cold water over them, turning the greens often and discarding any really wilted or brown leaves. Then fill the sink with cold water and put the greens in to soak for about 20 minutes to freshen them up. This has saved the dinner's salad for me more than once.

Or you could put in your very own backyard garden and pick your own greens 10 minutes before you serve them.
Which is what I do. The arugula and mustard greens are going crazy right now.

Old 10-10-2021, 08:31 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Use bacon instead. It counts as a vegetable.
Do not use if it is green.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:57 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
I thought it was catsup that counts as a vegetable. Maybe the new state salad should be bacon bits soaked in catsup.

Old 10-11-2021, 06:47 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
I've had no issues with the mixed salads in the plastic containers at King Soopers, Sprouts, or Target. The Trader Joes salad in the plastic bag isn't as good, in my experience. As already posted above, I rustle through the shelf to find a better date in the back of the stack.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:01 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I usually buy lettuce that is not bagged, and I chop it up myself. I feel like that works bit better for me than buying bagged lettuce.

I’ve also grown it in the past, but my problem is that I usually can’t eat it in a timely manner before it gets to the point where it starts to flower and gets bitter!

Old 10-11-2021, 04:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Keep moist, layer between moistened paper towels in a flat plastic container in fridge. (Size of sheet cake pan) I usually get best longevity from Romaine lettuce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado