Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 04:52 PM

23 posts, read 9,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You are using an OUT OF STATE SINGLE private party judgement (from Texas no less), under age 18 to respond to :

Not sure that is always true...

100% commercial driver violation (I.e. PROFESSIONAL / career / career driver)

Colorado law does not apply to your example in any way.
I wasn't talking about Colorado law; the ex I gave spoke to your comment of Not sure that is always true..., which responded to Mike's comment. Colorado law does not apply to this part of the convo.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yeah, that's not working. Truck drivers are not required to be proficient in English, they never have been and they never will be. Signs need to be international or this will happen again.
And why should the taxpayers be on the hook for the millions (tens?) of dollars required to update all of the signs, when there is a better way?

Pass a federal law that requires anyone who drives a truck over a certain size (I am not sure what that should be) on an interstate hwy to speak English. Done.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:50 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's not working. Truck drivers are not required to be proficient in English, they never have been and they never will be. Signs need to be international or this will happen again.
Exactly, I can’t rep you again until I do others. The people complaining about it’s the US are the problem.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:54 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixstyle3 View Post
And why should the taxpayers be on the hook for the millions (tens?) of dollars required to update all of the signs, when there is a better way?

Pass a federal law that requires anyone who drives a truck over a certain size (I am not sure what that should be) on an interstate hwy to speak English. Done.
Do some research on the driver shortage and who is actually driving trucks. A simple read of all the posts on this thread from people who work in the industry gives the answers. How many runaway truck ramps are in CO or country? The number isn’t really that high, it’s a simple start. It would be cheaper and faster to do what we mentioned then to get government to pass a law that nobody follows anyways.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:19 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixstyle3 View Post

I bet you have never even studied a foreign language.

Not everybody speaks English. Deal with it. A lot of the truck drivers are not even licensed in the US, and convincing Canada and Mexico to require drivers to be proficient in English will never happen. Never, never, never.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
China has the signage down perfect. It wouldn't even have to be adopted much for use in the US.
That's a pretty bad sign too.

You need simple graphics indicating what to do with an accelerating, over-speed vehicle. Including a vehicle, right arrows, accelerating icons.

Europe addresses mtn road signs quite well for non- native speakers.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I bet you have never even studied a foreign language.
Not sure what that has to do with me saying that everyone who drives a rig across state lines should speak Eng, but ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Do some research on the driver shortage and who is actually driving trucks. A simple read of all the posts on this thread from people who work in the industry gives the answers. How many runaway truck ramps are in CO or country? The number isn’t really that high, it’s a simple start. It would be cheaper and faster to do what we mentioned then to get government to pass a law that nobody follows anyways.
I am aware of the current shortage. That is not going to last forever.

It would be cheaper and faster to pass a law that would everyone would have to follow, than to change all of the signs in 50 states.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:24 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
Quote:

You need simple graphics indicating what to do with an accelerating, over-speed vehicle. Including a vehicle, right arrows, accelerating icons.

Agreed.

With respect to signs, the xenophobia and ethnocentricity of the US is the problem.

The signs should be international, as they are in Europe.

Whatever happened to the push to switch to the metric systen, like the rest of the world, that began in the mid 70s? We are in good company with Myanmar and Liberia as the only 3 countries still using the English system.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:30 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Putting the signage for the runaway truck ramp aside for a second, one doesn't have to be fluent in English to have that little voice in the back of your head saying "maybe I should ditch this truck before I kill someone." Not counting the truck ramp he had at least two places he could've ditched the truck off the right side of the road before getting to the stopped traffic. He chose self-preservation, and he lived while four innocent people died. Not only that, but after the accident he attempted to flee the scene. He's not quite the angel some people are making him out to be. I agree with considering a sentence reduction, but anything less than 20 years behind bars would be a slap on the face to his victims.

Every truck driver should be cognizant of the fact that there may come a time when they have to sacrifice their life to save the lives of people around them. Being incapable or unwilling to do so should be an automatic disqualifier from ever having a CDL.

Old 12-27-2021, 03:10 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean. There is a right arrow on the Chinese sign and that is the international symbol for an escape ramp used on signs around the world, but black on yellow, which would conform to the MUTCD guidelines. I could probably design something better myself but that is the international symbol in use, and it needs to be uniform, so everybody knows what it means.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado