Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Colorado: mountain state, education, real estate, housing, job market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:02 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyglam View Post
i am going to suggest a city called Evergreen. someone suggested this city to me and i have to say i really like what i have read and seen so far. i have never been there- but it seems like a neat place. maybe you can look into it and visit when you take your colorado trip this year.
I would suggest that you visit all of those areas before you make a decision (and maybe before dispensing advice). Evergreen is indeed a pretty spot, but it's not an easy commute to Denver proper, especially in the winter. People making a long-term commitment to live someplace also need to take into account commuting distance with today's (and the future's) fuel costs. Commutes that seemed practical until now may just become quite impractical in the future. The "Well, I'm commuting a hundred miles a day now" stuff is about to be irrelevant.

Another thing about Evergreen--it's a sprawled mountain community, most of it in a coniferous forest (thus the name) of ponderosa pine that is prime for pine beetle infestation. You couldn't pay me to live in that tinderbox for that very reason. Two major Colorado forest fires burned in the same kind of country relatively close to Evergreen in the last few years (including the Hayman fire--Colorado's worst in recent history). It's only a matter of time . . . All you have to do is see a fire like that once (I have) and it will make a believer out of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 02:13 PM

300 posts, read 1,258,164 times
hi jazzlover- i prefaced that i had never been to evergreen and that 2010wannabe should look into it and plan to visit when they make their colorado trip. i didnt tell them to for sure move there! apparentley, in your book, i have overstepped the line to dole out a friendly suggestion. i had never heard of evergreen, until this board- so im sure that 2010 hasnt, either. i was just making them aware. geeze.

as a side note- i hear ya about the tree beetle infestation. it was sad seeing this the last time we were in colorado- it does make the mountainside look rather dreadful and i can imagine when it burns. we were in lake tahoe last summer during their huge fire and it was quite scary since there really is no way out accept for a few main roads. im assuming evergreen is like this, as well.

about the commute time- it will be inevetable that some people need to commute. its ridiculous for you to assume everyone should set up shop according to this factor. i think it should be considered, but people have other needs to consider, as well- such as the price of housing, what type of housing they want, etc. no matter what, i commute to my job sites when i have to- they change and my clients locations are all over. i will have a home office and will need to go into denver maybe twice a week. commuting is not "irrelevant"- its a reality many people have to face seeing as how america, in general, is HORRIBLE at providing publich transportation and transportation infastucture. there will always be suburbs. city life is not for everyone- the landscape, the type of residencies, the cost per square foot, the schools for kids...the commute is one factor out of many. these may not be your specific concerns, but they are concerns for many other people.

why do you live in a cold climate where you have to pay for resources in order to heat your house and water? what if these prices should also go way up? would you move to a state with temperate weather all year to get away from this expense? probably not, since you love colorado. you are willing to sacrifice some things in order to get what you mostly want and need.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:19 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyglam View Post
soon, etc.).i have heard its really beautiful, but i have also heard its very religious and kind of a military town as well.
And this is a bad thing how?

Old 05-28-2008, 05:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
we arent considering CS since its pretty far from denver and the income level is not as high as denver metro. i have heard its really beautiful, but i have also heard its very religious and kind of a military town as well. again, i have never been there- just passing on what i have heard/read/researched. im not meaning to sound all negative about CS.
I would say, don't believe everything you hear. Check it out for yourself. I know you're in the designer business preppyglam, and COS might not be the best market for you, but I wouldn't worry about the religiousness or the military. It's a pretty big place; there are lots of people there who are not into Fundamentalist Chrisitianity and/or the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado