Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 12:08 PM

491 posts, read 394,679 times

Advertisements

At the end of June I am dropping my wife off at the airport in Phoenix then starting a leisurely drive back to the east coast and the first day I am heading up in CO with an overnight stay in Pagosa Springs. If the map attaches like I hope it does I was hoping someone on here had a suggestion on routes. I'd love some scenery along the way and I drop her at 4AM so I have all kinds of time to get to the hotel later in the day. I've never driven to Flagstaff. Is it worth driving that way and stopping for an hour or so or are the end of June crowds just way too thick at this time of the year? I am more into the natural beauty of the landscape vs towns or cities but I also love smaller towns with things to see as well. EDIT: I see I posted both links from Imgur but only one seems to be linked. It is a Googlemaps copy.

https://imgur.com/a/IPDajor

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2022, 12:26 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
I'll let someone else help with the PHX->Pagosa leg. If you've got plenty of time, the Moki Dugway in Utah is a little out of the way, but at least worth taking a look at. I haven't done it yet, but it's on my to-do list.

What direction are you heading after Pagosa? Are you trying to link up with either I-70 or I-80?

Old 04-26-2022, 12:39 PM

The plan is to head to Colorado Springs and start on 70 but I'll make way NE up to 80. I've driven 70 so now want to try 80 for a bit. I realize it is mostly open flat farm land which I am okay with. Just want a different scenery.

Old 04-26-2022, 12:43 PM

That Moki Dugway looks pretty cool. I've done the crazy road up and down Mount Washington in NH so I imagine this is about the same. Looks like quite the place.

Old 04-26-2022, 12:47 PM

317 posts, read 474,951 times
If you taken the northern route (going through Flagstaff and up through Kayenta) and have the time, I highly recommend the short detour up from Kayenta to Monument Valley. Some of the most iconic western scenery around combined with the cultural experience of being in Navajo Nation. Pretty remarkable place.

Even if you don't have time for the stopover in Monument Valley, the scenery around Kayenta in general is beautiful. You could also stop by Shiprock in northwest NM. A pretty short detour for an otherworldly volcanic rock formation.

Love that part of the country.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:07 PM

Those areas are certainly doable since I am driving from the airport by 5am and on a Saturday. Glad I came on here and asked. My guess is my route to Pagosa Springs is likely gorgeous but these would bonus sights.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:11 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryfreak View Post
The plan is to head to Colorado Springs and start on 70 but I'll make way NE up to 80. I've driven 70 so now want to try 80 for a bit. I realize it is mostly open flat farm land which I am okay with. Just want a different scenery.
In that case, after Pagosa, I'd make my way to Great Sand Dunes NP, then up to Salida, down to Cañon City, and up to the Springs via CO-115. You can see Royal Gorge and drive Skyline Drive in Cañon City. If you're heading from the Springs to Limon, stop by the Paint Mines Interpretive Park in Calhan. It's a mini-badlands.

From Limon, I personally would go up CO-71 and either take I-76 from Brush to Nebraska or take CO-71 north to Kimball and get on I-80 there.

I've done 70 and 80, and 80 in Nebraska beats 70 in Kansas by a hair. 80 is a little flatter between North Platte and Lincoln, but it parallels the Platte River until you get to Grand Island so you get occasional glimpses of the river.

Have a Runza when you're on the road in Nebraska if you haven't yet.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:28 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
If I were taking "a leisurely drive" back to the east coast it would take me at least a week, more like 10 days.

Day one: Drop wife at airport, then I-17 to Flagstaff, then I-40 west (yes west) for about 33 miles to Williams where I'd eat at the Pine Country Restaurant where the food is excellent and they bake about 25 kinds of pies each day. Eggs Benedict followed by coconut cream pie and black coffee will make your day. Then back on I-40 eastbound to Flagstaff where I'd take Rte 89 north and near Tuba City, AZ take Rte 160 east across the northern tier of AZ. Make a brief stop at the Four Corners Monument then on to Durango, CO for the evening. Stay at the General Palmer Hotel, steps from the train station.

Day two: Since you're in Durango, do take the Durango and Silverton train trip. A once in a lifetime experience that will transport you back at least 125 years to gold rush days. BTDT.

Day three: Head up towards Denver, via Ouray, Ridgeway, Montrose, Gunnison, Poncha Springs, Buena Vista, Leadville, then up Rte 91 to spend the night in Frisco or Silverthorn or mush on to the Denver area. Along the way you'll see some of the most stunning scenery in the country. One could spend a month in the Rockies and only scratch the surface of what's to see.

Day four (or a long day three): Consider catching a show at Red Rocks. Nothing like in the nation. Magic.

From there you can hop on I-70 and head back east. Done that a few times.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:28 PM

I have not had one but just Googled it and I will now.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:29 PM

Mike. My wife is a saint. Not sure how much of a saint if I take 10 days though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado