Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 08:43 AM

914 posts, read 2,192,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Only concern is the elevation of Leadville, CO, which is over 10,000 feet above sea level (FASL). If the heart and lungs can deal with this then Leadville might be a good option. The winters up there are long, averaging 120 inches of snow per year (ten feet).

Colorado Springs at 6500 FASL might be better suited with far less winter weather to worry about.
The elevation issue in Leadville is real and it should be considered carefully before making that move. Many people who can thrive at 7,000 or 8,000 ft. of elevation simply cannot cope with 10,000 ft. on a long term basis. It is one thing to go up there for a weekend ski trip and another to live there day in and day out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 11:46 AM

83 posts, read 123,756 times
Melanzana92, is the wood shop you’re talking about possibly Cutting Edge woodworking? I saw that they’re hiring. Looks like they’re doing high quality work.
Thanks Mike from back East for the heads up about the elevation. We visited Breckinridge a few years ago. My wife had a bad headache. I hear you really need to acclimatize at a lower altitude, so you don’t do it all at once. I take medicine for my blood pressure, don’t know if that would be an issue. Otherwise healthy. Originally from Scandinavia, so I think I would be ok with the snow.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:49 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,961,731 times
Yes! That's the one.

It is certainly very high in elevation but I personally don't think the elevation is a big deal (results may vary). Lots of Texans for example are moving in from areas <1000' in elevation, whether it's to Leadville or places in Park and Summit counties with elevations even higher, even above 11,000'. It doesn't seem to bother them. That being said, my housemate did come straight up from Fort Worth and had a slight headache for a couple of days.

Winters are cold and snowy, but also sunny. 75 degrees is a hot summer day. Some people like that, some hate it.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:13 PM

102,077 posts, read 107,088,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinet maker View Post
Melanzana92, is the wood shop you’re talking about possibly Cutting Edge woodworking? I saw that they’re hiring. Looks like they’re doing high quality work.
Thanks Mike from back East for the heads up about the elevation. We visited Breckinridge a few years ago. My wife had a bad headache. I hear you really need to acclimatize at a lower altitude, so you don’t do it all at once. I take medicine for my blood pressure, don’t know if that would be an issue. Otherwise healthy. Originally from Scandinavia, so I think I would be ok with the snow.
Altitude definitely affects blood pressure. Check with your doctor before committing to Colorado. Altitude also can exacerbate sleep apnea. I lived at close to 7500 feet in Santa Fe for many years, and thought I was unfazed by the altitude. No BP issues, no breathing/oxygen issues, fatigue or anything. Now that I've come down in elevation nearly a half mile to the Denver area, I find I'm sleeping better. The apnea has improved. I don't want to knock Leadville, because it seems like potentially a great location for you, and the area is beautiful. Just giving you a heads-up on a couple of points to discuss with your doctor.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:03 PM

Thank you Ruth4Truth for the head up about blood pressure. I would never have thought about that. I’ve heard that Colorado should be good for if you have asthma, if that is true then that would be a positive.

Old 08-31-2022, 10:10 AM

2,357 posts, read 2,609,052 times
Asthma and high altitude aren’t really a good mix. I know of at least two couples that had to move to lower elevations, one to Pueblo and one to Grand Junction because of asthma issues. One eventually moved to Arkansas.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:23 AM

102,077 posts, read 107,088,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinet maker View Post
Thank you Ruth4Truth for the head up about blood pressure. I would never have thought about that. I’ve heard that Colorado should be good for if you have asthma, if that is true then that would be a positive.
Well, I would hope you have plans to visit the different locations suggested, before making a decision, anyway, so if you do, you'll be able to observe your symptoms while you're on location. Maybe get an OTC blood-pressure cuff to bring with you.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:43 AM

Thank you all so much for all the advice that you’ve given me. Lot’s for me to look into. Have to make the trip and see how we do at a higher altitude. Thank you! Really appreciate everyone and all the suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado