Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 05:39 PM

83 posts, read 124,721 times

Advertisements

Having over 20 years of experience in custom woodworking and a dream of living in Colorado. I would appreciate any information about woodworking in Colorado. I'm especially thinking about Trinidad, since the cost of land is lower than other parts. I know Trinidad is not a big city, but is there a need for custom woodwork and cabinets in this area? Also, do you need a license to build and install woodwork in Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 07:50 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
No
No
But, I am not sure that location is that important if you are willing to service the Front Range.

Old 08-26-2022, 07:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I would think that the places to peddle your skills would be where the money is: the resort towns like Aspen, Vail, etc. There's been a sudden gentrification outside of Aspen, though. The small towns within an easy drive used to be cheap, but in the last few years, they've been "discovered" and gentrified. The worker bees are having to live farther out. OTOH, gentrification means more custom home remodeling work.

But there is constant high-end home remodeling going on in & around Aspen; as wealthy foreigners and out-of-state people buy luxury vacation homes, they always want to customize them. Contractors say, they customize an interior one year, and two or three years later the place gets sold, and a new owner wants to tear everything out and customize the place to his own taste. It's extremely wasteful, but great for contractors and craftspeople like yourself. The Santa Fe, NM, area is good for that, too, but not to the same extreme.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-26-2022 at 08:41 PM..

Old 08-26-2022, 10:41 PM

Thanks so much for the information. Yes, I understand that the areas where the rich like to buy properties have more opportunities. At the same time it's more expensive to get a piece of land to live on and set up a shop close by. That's kind of my dilemma

Old 08-26-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinet maker View Post
Thanks so much for the information. Yes, I understand that the areas where the rich like to buy properties have more opportunities. At the same time it's more expensive to get a piece of land to live on and set up a shop close by. That's kind of my dilemma
Right. Carbondale and Glenwood Springs, close to Aspen, have become inundated by people buying up former rental properties, so the renters who served the hotels and did the luxury home remodeling, and other trades-work and customer service have been pushed out, unless they already owned. Some have moved to Rifle and Eagle, along Hwy 70. Still a doable commute, because of the highway. What used to be a 20 minute drive to Aspen would now be a 50-minute drive, roughly. (Just giving you an idea. ) I can't advise you about where to live around Vail for affordable rents; I don't know that area.

OTOH, as you can see, it's not much worth locating in a place where there's no demand for your craft, even if it's cheaper. There's got to be a happy medium somewhere. Maybe Albuquerque? Affordable rents and a number of higher-end neighborhoods. Plus you could take jobs in Santa Fe, once you make yourself known in the area. For example, you could display cabinetry in the Saturday market in Santa Fe, to get some exposure, and hand out your business cards. (I'm just brainstorming.) You might also be able to sell or consign some small furniture pieces: tables or cabinets, in art galleries or specialty furniture stores.

But NM isn't Colorado--your dream.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:30 PM

Thanks Ruth4truth! Really appreciate your info!

Old 08-27-2022, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks Ruth4truth! Really appreciate your info!
I love fine woodworking, and fancy inlay, and that kind of thing! And btw, I just looked up the drive time from Eagle to Aspen, and it's a bit over an hour. It's too bad workers got pushed all the way out there. But the drive time to Vail from Eagle is much shorter: a half hour. You could serve both markets from there: Vail and Aspen.

I suggest you check out these areas to see if living there and commuting would be doable, and if the areas appeal to you. Same with ABQ and NM. NM is a poor state with pockets of wealth. CO might be better for you, IDK.

Good luck! Let us know if something works out for you.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-27-2022 at 06:03 AM..

Old 08-27-2022, 09:21 AM

I’ve looked at Eagle a little bit, maybe that could be an option. The location sounds pretty good. I’ll do some more research. I’ve looked at Albuquerque some. My wife saw the crime statistics were pretty high in Albuquerque, and feel a little iffy about that. We live outside Houston right now, so I don’t know that it’s any safer here

Old 08-27-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I’ve looked at Eagle a little bit, maybe that could be an option. The location sounds pretty good. I’ll do some more research. I’ve looked at Albuquerque some. My wife saw the crime statistics were pretty high in Albuquerque, and feel a little iffy about that. We live outside Houston right now, so I don’t know that it’s any safer here
Crime is an issue in ABQ, but it depends on the neighborhood. You could ask about that on the ABQ forum. But out there in the Aspen/Vail region we're talking about, it's not a concern.

Old 08-27-2022, 01:43 PM

405 posts, read 449,807 times
Quote:
I understand that the areas where the rich like to buy properties have more opportunities. At the same time it's more expensive to get a piece of land to live on and set up a shop close by. That's kind of my dilemma
Look into Leadville - not that far from the Summit County ski resorts and an hour and a half to Aspen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado