Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 08:09 PM

83 posts, read 954,056 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am considering relocating to Colorado but need a decent paying job to live off/survive untill I can find a myself a teaching job for the fall. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am currently a valet driver for a resort in my hometown and am willing to do a variety of things but am more concerned with making enough to at least pay for the basic needs if you know what mean! Please help....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 09:17 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,561 times
Hey James,

Are you thinking of any cities in Colorado that you are interested in? I am sure you don't want to move once you get here. Then we can help you find a job. bashep

Old 01-27-2007, 12:24 AM

83 posts, read 954,056 times
Thanks again, just want to also ask do you know of any jobs around at least $10-15 an hour? I do have a teaching degree; and work experience in guest service, customer service, driving/transportation, etc. Please reply, I really could use the advice....

I really want to live and work in one of the medium-size cities like Colorado Springs, Pueblo, or Fort Collins, but realize that Denver has alot more to offer as far a job market. I am limted to internet research when it comes to finding a decent paying job and realize that the teaching jobs will not open for another few months. I have decided that just moving might be the best route and am getting desperate, please reply..

Old 01-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James9283 View Post
Thanks again, just want to also ask do you know of any jobs around at least $10-15 an hour? I do have a teaching degree; and work experience in guest service, customer service, driving/transportation, ... I have decided that just moving might be the best route and am getting desperate, please reply..
If you have your CDL class A (commercial drivers license, combination + air brake endorsement) you will be readily employed. Even with a 'passenger' endorsement, you can get jobs pretty easy. (you can get these pretty ez in about a week, if you don't have one, worse thing is scheuling a DOT physical. Places like Fed Ex will schedule and pay this ) It has always served me well for short term employment. I like to work evenings and nights and weekends (no bosses, no hassle, no interruptions). This often opens up more positions and frequently better pay. In Colorado, I did 1 day runs from Denver area to Nebraska, WY and SD, and all of northern Colorado, but was based out of Ft Collins. Lots of fun snow driving. (it keeps you awake ).

Check out courier services that cater to banks and real estate title companies. (I have a friend in TX that does that with a 50 mpg diesel VW, that makes a killing doing courier routes, especially on mileage reimbursement!! @ $0.50/mile, and 500 miles per day) Fed Ex Ground and Home Delivery use independant contractors, who hire replacements frequently. (I enjoyed their 'defensive' driver training, very helpful, even for an ole goat) My spouse and I do that for a few contractors on an 'as needed' basis. The construction trades will keep you busy till school. Check the roofing, lumber, windows & doors and as a last resort "drywall" distributors. They always need drivers. Concrete mixer drivers are in demand and dumptruck too! Beverage service industries add summer help. Most of these jobs would be $12 - $18/hr. See if you can find one that offers some overtime. Salary jobs really stink. Remember you're selling your time to an employer, make it worth your while. I always calculate my commute time, clothing costs, cleanup time + risk of dragging work / pager home + travel time as a 'workplace' (time) expense to me.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado