U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 02:09 AM

642 posts, read 2,397,665 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an opinion on what is similar/different about these towns? Maybe pros and cons between them? Im leaning towards Pagosa Springs it is sooo beautiful and I wonder if they are actually going to be building up a large amount in the next 2 or 3 years.

I wish there was a University closer but they are getting a hospital and I think that people will come for all the work it provides. Their High School is about 500 kids and I think Bayfield is similar. Im not sure of Mancos but with Bayfield & Mancos there is the city so close. Pagosa is also so high up over 7000 feet, it seems like it would be so hard to aclimate.

Is there skiing in the Bayfield area? If Pagosa is a resort type community (?) I wonder if it has some problems with lots of different people coming in and out?
Anyone have an opinion on these things? Anything will help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 09:38 AM

476 posts, read 2,213,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on what is similar/different about these towns? Maybe pros and cons between them? Im leaning towards Pagosa Springs it is sooo beautiful and I wonder if they are actually going to be building up a large amount in the next 2 or 3 years.

I wish there was a University closer but they are getting a hospital and I think that people will come for all the work it provides. Their High School is about 500 kids and I think Bayfield is similar. Im not sure of Mancos but with Bayfield & Mancos there is the city so close. Pagosa is also so high up over 7000 feet, it seems like it would be so hard to aclimate.

Is there skiing in the Bayfield area? If Pagosa is a resort type community (?) I wonder if it has some problems with lots of different people coming in and out?
Anyone have an opinion on these things? Anything will help!
Ok, Bayfield would have the best school system. Durango is quite good too but much larger. Durango is opening it own Health Care Center at the High School just for kids who need it with licensed practitioners - pretty cool. I dont notice any difference in altitude at any of the places mentioned. I dont feel any different than in Farmington. Skiing in Bayfield would be Wolf Creek would be closest or Durango Mtn. Resort. Bayfield is more hilly not mountainy like Durango.

Pagosa, uh, it is both. It has some small resorts but mostly just regular people living there. I dont know about growth. I would think regular not massive growth but things can change. Not as many jobs in Pagosa so that may be a factor. More and more jobs opening in Durango but I heard some company was moving to Bayfield that will hire like 40 people and they will make good money. I think a candle factory or something like that. So things are looking up in Bayfield. HTH.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 11,664 times
Default Looking for Retirement Spot!

Hi -glad for your message. I'm coming to visit Pagosa Springs, Durango, MOnte Vista, Walsenburg and some other surrounding southern CO areas to check out those locations. I'm trying to decide where I want to retire to (Colorado Springs area or the southern part of Colorado). Would like to hear from individuals who have moved to those areas and their thoughts about what they like, what they would like to see changed, future projections, cost of living, crime rate, etc. Found e-mailing the Chamber of Commerces for each location has been great way of obtaining relocation information and realtors in those areas have been good about sending me information and tidbits about the community. Would appreciate any comments any of you have as well to help me in making my final move decision. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:31 PM

51 posts, read 222,060 times
All three towns are very nice. I come from Cortez- which is 15 miles from Mancos. Mancos is nice if you like really small towns. Bayfield is very similar to Mancos- small town. There are a fair amount of "earthy" people in both places. Pagosa Springs stinks of sulfur really bad- but once you get passed the smell- it's beautiful. It is definately more "resorty" than Mancos or Bayfield. The Springs there are awesome and Wolf Creek is the best ski resort EVER. I love it. My husband likes Telluride, but my favorite is wolf creek! I think all 3 areas are growing alot right now. All 3 places will deliver you good amounts of snow and beautiful Colorado sunshine. I saw in your last post that you were looking at Walsenburg- I wouldn't even bother...my husband had to stay there on business one night and he said it's scary and very crime ridden and dirty. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:31 PM

642 posts, read 2,397,665 times
Is Mancos a very accepting community of different cultures/races or new occupants?

Old 01-24-2007, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Is Mancos a very accepting community of different cultures/races or new occupants?
Coltoncity, there are quite a few new people moving to the Mancos area and it is a friendly small town. I stop by there sometimes going from Durango to Cortez and I am Hispanic and people there are always friendly and nice to me. What is good about Mancos is that it isnt far from Durango or Cortez to do stuff. It is very pretty from Mancos to Durango with pines and mountains. Going from west of Mancos to Cortez gets deserty looking.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:57 PM

117 posts, read 502,769 times
That would be my question too!! Are there many foreigners in the general area of Durango/Bayfield- ie Australian, British, Europeans, South Americans - we are looking for a culturally mixed area, and have two young teen kids, homeschooled but want COMMUNITY that says welcome ....

Old 01-31-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceankidz View Post
That would be my question too!! Are there many foreigners in the general area of Durango/Bayfield- ie Australian, British, Europeans, South Americans - we are looking for a culturally mixed area, and have two young teen kids, homeschooled but want COMMUNITY that says welcome ....
There are quite alot of foreigners in Durango. I know people from Sweden, Norway, Russia, England, Ireland (a woman who has a great opera voice lives there), Dutch, Australia and France. I also have heard of people living there from Asia and even the tropic isles. My friend knows some people from the Pacific isles who live in Durango too. As far as Bayfield and Mancos, I dont know, but Durango, yes, great diversity.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:21 PM

117 posts, read 502,769 times
Thank you ILUVNM I have enjoyed following your posts - so full of information and encouraging! It certainly sounds like it could be our kind of place - just wish we had stopped there on our last visit in October- oh well save the best for last??
Can someone just come and buy my house in Charleston South Carolina!!

I am hoping that the building industry will offer something positive for my husband, a plumber by trade - he would like to start up his own business again in remodelling and plumbing - I hear that Durango is great for small business owners - is that so?
Another quick question - any recommendations for short term furnished accommodation (nothing fancy)- that takes cats. We are thinking of putting our furniture in storage in COS and then spending a month in Durango or the larger area to learn more about the area
Thanks again for the wonderful info.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:15 AM

Sure, no problem, I am glad to help. The area is really good for small businesses. Most are small businesses. I think your husband will do well. You might check into renting a cabin say out in Lake Vallecito or Forest Lakes. There are alot of cabins out that way. It wouldnt probably be good to rent in the winter out at Vallecito since they can get more snow out there but really pretty and quiet and the summers are wonderful. Durango usually has a number of homes for rent in the summer too. Keep checking the classifieds in the Durango Herald or even online at the Durango Herald. I know they are going to be building alot of homes in Three Springs and out in Edgemont Ranch so those may be areas for your husband to check for working. Also you can sometimes find some good deals out near Navajo Lake like out in Arboles or Allison or out that way. It is about a 30 minute drive into Durango but way cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado