Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 11:27 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,492 times

Advertisements

I too have noticed the "grocery store phenomenon" of people intruding on space, cutting in line, etc... I'm not really sure why this happens- I guess people are just in a hurry these days. Maybe they think that if they crowd you out, the line will move faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 12:42 PM

215 posts, read 771,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
the personal bubble issue. maybe because im from the east coast and my parents are new yorkers, but i feel i have a right to a personal bubble. why is it constantly violated on-line at the grocery store? im checking out, waiting to pay and the next person walks up and im literally elbow to elbow with them. now, if im on the rush hour 7 train out of queens, this predicament is unavoidable and quite normal. but at safeway and its only us? are we really that comfortable with each other?.
As a New Yorker I couldn't help but laugh at that. New Yorkers put up with having their space invaded on the train or the street because there are 8 Million people in NYC so there's not much of a choice on a crowded R train into Brooklyn, but when there is a choice we want our damn space - period!

When I move to Denver the space invasion is probably going to get on my nerves and the cutting in line part will make me want to grab what the person is buying and throw it to the back of the line while saying, "Now fetch!"

Old 06-10-2008, 12:59 AM

7 posts, read 18,397 times
Default Moving to Denver area from Florida

We are planning a move out to the Denver area in the very near future. We prefer not to be right in the city, we were thinkin within 30-50 miles(or less) outside Denver would be nice. We want to be as close to the mountains as possible, without being too far out. We are from a fairly large city and we do appreciate all that a city has to offer, but we are raising two small children and finding a SAFE community with Excellent Schools are a priority. We would still like to be within resonable distance to Denver. We just started researching different areas. Several places did stand out. Places like Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs, Parker, and yes, even Highlands Ranch. My Husband isnt wild about HR. Keep in mind, I have never been to Colorado, but have wanted to move there my entire adult life. My Husband has been a few times and loved it there. I have lived in FL my entire life with the exception of a few years in Sioux Falls, SD. My Family is from Michigan, and he grew up in S. Dakota, & Iowa, so we do know a little about cold winters and snow. The CO. winters are not an issue for us. Anyone want to give us some feedback on which communities outside, but convenient to Denver, that are recommended. We are so ready to get out of FL. It is basically a hot zone for crazy's, Other than the beaches, it lacks any natural beauty, and the summers are so hot and humid that unless we are literally in the pool or at the beach, you can't even enjoy a day outside. The summer heat has become unbearable. I read a post on this forum from someone stating that Denver's weather sucks. They talked about the heat & humidity. Trust me, I check the weather out there constantly and I would trade you in a heartbeat. Granted the Winters in FL are beautiful, but we would actually like a few changes of seasons. I know CO. winters can't be bad at all compared with MI or SD. So, I don't need any warnings about the weather as we look forward to the change. From what I hear & understand, the summers do get very warm, but the air is dry. the winters are fairly mild with the ocassional winter storm. Ahhhh, I can't wait.
Sorry, I did not intend this to be so long. However, i would appreciate some input on thr best area(s) to move to as well as any other info that may be helpful. I look forward to reading your comments!! Thanks for your input!!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:49 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Denver? Humid? I don't think there's a drop of moisture in this entire state.

BTW, Parker sucks, you'd hate it there. Highlands Ranch is very nice though.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 06-10-2008 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: created new thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeseL View Post
We are planning a move out to the Denver area in the very near future. We prefer not to be right in the city, we were thinkin within 30-50 miles(or less) outside Denver would be nice. We want to be as close to the mountains as possible, without being too far out.
we are raising two small children and finding a SAFE community with Excellent Schools are a priority. We would still like to be within resonable distance to Denver. We just started researching different areas. Several places did stand out. Places like Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs, Parker, and yes, even Highlands Ranch. My Husband isnt wild about HR. Keep in mind, I have never been to Colorado, but have wanted to move there my entire adult life.
Why are you planning to move to the Denver area?
What line of work are you in?
Where are you going to work?
What is your price range?

Old 06-10-2008, 12:24 PM

11 posts, read 49,186 times
Moved here 20 years ago from Fl. and we are loving it. Cost of living can be difficult at times, but so can the rest of the country.... some places worst than others, CO not the worst. Snow? Not so much. An occasional blizzard, one WHITE Christmas in 20 years.... really not so tough. Consider looking into Castle Rock if you like being south of Denver. We're just north of Denver in the Dacono, Fredrick, Firestone area.... You might like Longmont, Lafayette, Louisville areas... Just a thought. BTW I'd rather not live in FL again. CO is heaven to me!!

Old 06-10-2008, 01:39 PM

16 posts, read 119,949 times
In advance, welcome to Colorado!

If you want to be close to the mountains AND the city of Denver, I would recommend some of the western suburbs, such as Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, Golden, Arvada, and unincorporated southern Jefferson County (usually thought of as part of Littleton, but west of the actual city of Littleton). Boulder and its surrounding communities (Louisville and others) are about 45 minutes to an hour from Denver and are also close to the mountains.

Jefferson County has a good school system and I think all of the suburbs I listed above fall into Jeffco. I think Boulder has a good system too, but I'm not positive.

Castle Rock is a nice family-oriented community about 30-45 minutes south of Denver. Mostly newer homes, in a range of prices. If you lived there, you'd have a longer drive to the mountains, but it's very beautiful on its own. It's in Douglas County which also has a good year-round school system. Jeffco is on a traditional, summers-off schedule.

If you live in Colorado Springs, you will probably never come to Denver. The Springs is a big town and has pretty much everything you could ever need and has some nice scenery as well. If you're looking to hit the big mountain ski areas in the winter, you'd have a pretty long drive. And for some reason, it seems like most of the main roads in CO Springs have been under construction for the last 20 years or so!

The Denver metro area is really one solid city from Highlands Ranch in the south to Northglenn in the north, and Golden in the west to Aurora in the east, with Denver smack in the middle. I don't recommend living out east if you want to be close to the mountains, you'll have to drive all the way across town just to hit the foothills, and then you've got another 2 or 3 hours until you hit a ski town.

I hope this is helpful. I'm actually looking to move to Florida after having lived in CO my whole life! The grass is always greener right....?

Old 06-10-2008, 05:21 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,169 times
with the price of gas and the fact the most employers are in metro denver, i wonder WHY you'd want to be 50 miles outside of Denver? close in burbs like Golden, lakewood would fit hte bill alot better.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I would say the "one white Christmas in 20 years" is a bit of an exaggeration. Here are some stats from previous Christmases. 2007 is not included, but we had a Christmas Day snowstorm with about 8 inches in Louisville. I don't know how much we got "officially". In general, though, the winter weather is not bitter.

Denver Christmas Weather Statistics

Old 06-10-2008, 08:14 PM

41 posts, read 159,369 times
Hi, i am from South FL and will be moving to Castle Rock next week to a home we purchased in Castlewood Ranch. If you are from South FL and are sick of the urban congestion you will want to avoid Highlands Ranch as it feels very much like South FL (namely like the Weston area where I am from). Castle Rock has a small town feel but all the amenities of a larger city and is still an easy drive to downtown (for me at least) if that is where you will be working. Feel free to contact me if you want some more tips/advice on your move or search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado