Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:14 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

Advertisements

I only know GJ as a town I travel through to get to Vegas or SoCal. So I don't know the town too well.

But with regards to the OPs thread title Where to go on a weekend in GJ, I tell you what I'd do. I'd go through Montrose and head up to the Blue Mesa and go fishing for Kokanee Salmon, or I'd go to Glenwood Springs, or I'd go to Aspen, or I'd dig out my Diamondback and head to Moab.

But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 02:43 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
well since the OP is going to be GJ for a weekend, they are (I think) requesting info on what to do and see IN GJ...not moab, 30minutes away, montrose 45 minutes away, Glenwwod springs 1 hour away etc...

They are trying to get the feel of the town.

SO first off...it's in a GREAT location. Very easy to get into the mtns for summer hiking camping etc..and winter for skiing and snow mobiling. (powderhorn is a nice SMALL beginer ski mtn...about 45 minutes away)
As you can see many great weekend places under 2hours away.

I love GJ, my parents have lived there for over 10years. (redlands...having the monument as a view from your backyard...wonderful)
You get 4 good seasons...yes summer is HOT, but it's dry and actuall in the shade that 105 isn't half bad. But it will cool down nicely at night. Winters are usually pretty mild by CO standards, but you will get snow etc... I guess this winter was a bad one!

Yes, the Gas drilling is causing some problems...(we have that hear in North texas as well) but in a counrty where the ecomomy is bad..GJ is doing very good. But, They sure are tearing up the roads etc...

SO.... for things to do on weekend.

Definately go Downtown.
if you are there go for the Thurs night Farmers market, it's fun.

Resturants... no GJ doesn't have fantasic resturants (5* etc..) but it does have it's share of good ones) here's few of my favorites:
The Bagle place downtown is great (love those cinnamon ones) Main Street Bagles
Dolce Vita is a nice resturant and has good food.
The Rockslide Brewery has good food and great beer.
The prime cut has good steaks.
WW Peppers pretty good mexican...great margaritas.
Main Street cafe...good breakfast

Definately take the drive up to view the Colorado National monument...if you have a convertable it's great fun. Stop at the scenic overlooks to get a real feel of it. Teh nyou will know why the REDLANDS was so aptly named...it's beautiful.
Great hiking all through there...but yes in summer go in the early morning or evening...the heat of day will kill ya. But the drive alone is very nice.

There is ALOT of hiking and mountian biking etc... avail.

you can do a raft float down the river...nice at sunset.
For white water rafting you have to go to Glenwood...alot of fun.

The wineries (and the meadery!!) are fun to visit and taste..
(most are in Palasides area)
Two Rivers has some of the best tasting wine (IMO) It's right in the redlands and has a beautiful "chateau" with rooms to stay in.
Grand River is pretty good as well.
There are about 19 wineries in the area

link to winery listing... Grand Junction Visitor & Convention Bureau

here is the website for GJ...
Grand Junction, Colorado - Travel Planning, Hiking, Camping, Hotels, Wine Tours - Grand Junction Visitor & Convention Bureau

Also if you golf...there are some very nice courses in the area.

HAVE FUN!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Resturants... no GJ doesn't have fantasic resturants (5* etc..) but it does have it's share of good ones) here's few of my favorites:
The Bagle place downtown is great (love those cinnamon ones) Main Street Bagles
Dolce Vita is a nice resturant and has good food.
The Rockslide Brewery has good food and great beer.
The prime cut has good steaks.
WW Peppers pretty good mexican...great margaritas.
Main Street cafe...good breakfast
If you are going to go out for a locally brewed beer, try Kannah Creek. It's much better in my opinion. Also, the Prime Cut is no longer there. It is now Kannah Creek Brewery. Also, I would recommend the Crystal Cafe over Main Street Cafe for breakfast. The Main Street is nothing special, and was rather disgusting the last time I ate there. If you like Asian food, try Zen Garden. Pretty good food for GJ. I can attest to the Winery now. I went there for dinner on Sun. and it was very good. It was pretty expensive though.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,465 times
Go hiking! There are tons of trails up on the monument. Personal favorite: No Thoroughfare. There are two waterfalls to hike to, and it's not too challenging.

Downtown is fun to walk around, too, so I would definitely do that. There are tons of great restaurants downtown, so you won't have any problems finding good food.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:14 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
delta07 wrote:
If you are going to go out for a locally brewed beer, try Kannah Creek. It's much better in my opinion.
I second that suggestion! Try their Pinyon Pesta Pizza too.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:01 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Hey thanks for the update on resturants!!

When did Khannah Creek open?
we didn't go out when we were there this spring...just skiing at eating for free at Mom and DAd's!!

yes...Crystal Cafe is very good.

too bad about main street cafe not being as good as it used to be.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 PM

I think Kannah Creek has been there for several years now. I can't remember exactly when they opened. Just for the record, Crystal Cafe isn't as good as it used to be either. I think they must have changed ownership within the past year. It's still what I would consider the best breakfast in GJ, but not as good as it used to be.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,411 times
Default crystal cafe is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I think Kannah Creek has been there for several years now. I can't remember exactly when they opened. Just for the record, Crystal Cafe isn't as good as it used to be either. I think they must have changed ownership within the past year. It's still what I would consider the best breakfast in GJ, but not as good as it used to be.
I know this is an old message but my wife and I are moving to junction from Maine. We've spent three weeks here and I tell you the only place we will eat when we move out is the crystal cafe. I spoke with one of the new owners and she said they just bought the place in Feb of 08.

Not to insult my wife but the woman in the front is not hard to look at.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:34 AM

Grand Junction restraunts are nothing to write home about, that's for sure! There isn't a single place I am missing after moving to Oregon. I sure hope for everyones sake that GJ gets some decent places to eat in the future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado