Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM

166 posts, read 321,978 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies.

AND...WOW...To Breck Distillery. Have to check that out. Some of that on a cold snowy day with a fly rod....would be amazing.

I am hearing it should still be very buzy in the beginning of March through April.

I dislike being in Limbo. Wish i could leave now!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 PM

67 posts, read 109,363 times
I live in Frisco. I rent. I've always owned a home, but that isn't going to happen here. Even with a still slightly depressed housing market, it is much more expensive than other areas I've lived in in Colorado. Nevertheless, I just love this area. Silverthorne is certainly ok and prices on homes and rentals are less there. But remember, to go to Breck on a snowy day, you've got to first drive a short portion of I70, (maybe 4 or 5 miles?) then, navigate a busy, snowy highway 9 to Breck. You could go by the dam road from Silverthorne to Frisco, but personally I find that scary with ice, snow, and wind, although it's glorious on a nice day.

Finding a long term rental near town here in Frisco, and really even in Breck, isn't all that difficult. If you are willing to take a little tiny one bedroom condo or a studio, the price won't be too bad. I live a block from down town in an expensive single family rental that I shouldn't be in, but my lease is up in May and then I'm not sure where I'll live. One has to decide what kind of sacrifices are worth what! I love the proximity to Frisco. I walk to town and love that on a Saturday night when drinks are on the menu (the police here are quite avid about drunk driving). One of the best parts of this county is the wonderful bus system. Free, clean, friendly, just great. When my friends and I want to go to Breck for a night on the town, we catch the bus (half a block from my house) and enjoy being driven and never have a care.

Someone mentioned airbnb. I agree with that. It's much more interesting and varied than VRBO. And remember the Summit Daily and Craigslist when you are looking.

Good luck on your move. It's great to be near family if you can.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,390 times
Does anyone have experience as a telecommuter living in Breck? We are looking to move there and would be bringing our full time jobs with us.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,358 times
I have lived in Breckenridge for over 5 years now. Yes I feel like times are tougher than ever, Tax hikes and More to pay on insurance. I have worked at a grocery store where I make upper of 40k a year. Nothing special but just to show you how the cost of living and price to pay for living in Summit County. Only problem now is I never want to go back to a big city!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM

224 posts, read 559,763 times
My friend has rented a house up there for a couple of years (I go there a few things a month). Gorgeous scenery and wildlife, excellent biking, great rec center, friendly locals are positives; negatives are long winters (especially when the snow is not good), lack of good grocery stores and services, and expensive housing compared to metro Denver.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 AM

67 posts, read 109,363 times
I'd highlight a quote I'm commenting on, but I apparently haven't figured out how to do that.

But, regarding the comment that there is a lack of good grocery stores up here in Summit county: That's surely true if comparing with a major city such as Denver. But I have to speak up for the City Market in Dillon. It's quite nice and well stocked compared to most mountain grocery stores I've used. Sure...like in most land locked mountain areas, the fish and sea food aren't the most varied, but the cheese department at the Dillon store is absolutely superb. They've decided to really feature it and the people who work that department and the product are great. The produce is fresh and varied, people are friendly and truly, I find a great selection and I'm a pretty avid cook.

Great news for some of us foodies, is that Whole Foods is coming to Frisco. I believe groundbreaking will be spring 2014. Most of the people up here are pleased as heck about that!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 PM

85 posts, read 206,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyam22 View Post
I have to speak up for the City Market in Dillon. It's quite nice and well stocked compared to most mountain grocery stores I've used.
This is very true. Also, the one in Breck is smaller and isn't as nice, but it's conveniently located, and I've found the prices to be be as low (usually lower) than anywhere I've shopped (I moved up here from Florida). The Safeway in Frisco is somewhere in the middle with regard to size, but the prices are outrageous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyam22 View Post
Great news for some of us foodies, is that Whole Foods is coming to Frisco.
There's that too, if you're into that sort of thing. Also, there's Alpine Market on the West End of Frisco Main Street. I've never been there myself, but their focus is organic foods and that type of stuff.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
Default Best days of my life

I lived in Breckenridge back in the 70's. I was 10 when my family moved there. just at the top of Wellington and Gold flake. We lived there for only 6 years , but the best memories of my life. Food was expensive. Peak9 was half complete. 8 was less than 10y.o. Season passes for Peak8&9 $400/season for the whole family of 6 in '71. My last year there I paid $150/season for my individual pass. Started on woodies w/bear trap bindings and leather lace ups. Was an expert skier by the end of second year and had much better gear. Skiing was everything. 6mo's of great snow, 3mo's of slush, and 3mo of beautiful summers. I loved it. Wish I could go back. At the time going to school was a drag but have to say it was top notch. Finished in Denver @ CherryCreakHS after my Junior year because of Summit High. Dec. & Feb. was Thur. off for ski day. Life was very casual then. I can't imagine that's changed all that much for residents. Winter dictates and you can't change that. Its too bad it so expensive now. No doubt it because of how wonderful it is to be there. Looking at google earth it has expanded to almost its limits. Still see some rock piles here and there from the placer mining days. All the relic bldgs. from the 1800's are gone. They use to be everywhere. Needless to say I really miss it.
I would recommend living there if you have the money and enjoy small community living. Be ready for the winters and don't think the summers are any less enjoyable. Tourists have always been part of seen and what made it so fun. If you like the back country, plenty nature to see with endless hiking and camping opportunities. The absolute best view ever is atop Peak10 on 4th of July. Drive up to the base of last snow and hike to the top with boots and skies. Not for the week hearted. You will never see anything so SPECTACULAR. You're on the top of the world looking at what seems to be the entire Rocky Mountain Range. Nothing will compare from that point on. Im not a believer but at that moment I thought I was sitting with God. Once you break free of the view, you ski down for the last run of the year to BBQ and Beer local festivities just above tree line. I knew everyone there. I was 13y.o. and still have a vivid memory of that day.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:05 AM

102 posts, read 185,825 times
So true^^^^. I only hope that my 9 and 13 year old feel the same way in 10 years. We gave up everything to move them to Aspen and they are living the life.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:33 AM

309 posts, read 258,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phynghers View Post
I would recommend living there if you have the money and enjoy small community living. Be ready for the winters and don't think the summers are any less enjoyable. Tourists have always been part of seen and what made it so fun. If you like the back country, plenty nature to see with endless hiking and camping opportunities. The absolute best view ever is atop Peak10 on 4th of July. Drive up to the base of last snow and hike to the top with boots and skies. Not for the week hearted. You will never see anything so SPECTACULAR. You're on the top of the world looking at what seems to be the entire Rocky Mountain Range. Nothing will compare from that point on. Im not a believer but at that moment I thought I was sitting with God. Once you break free of the view, you ski down for the last run of the year to BBQ and Beer local festivities just above tree line. I knew everyone there. I was 13y.o. and still have a vivid memory of that day.
Wonderful description. I stayed in Breckenridge and Frisco for a week once, and it was fantastic. Heaven for those who love the mountains. The driving can be scary though. But I wouldn't know what ordinary day-to-day life is like there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado