Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 02:33 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times

Advertisements

A report was released today, 7/20/08, from the Brooking's Institute
Mountain Megas: America's Newest Metropolitan Places and a Federal Partnership to Help Them Prosper - Brookings Institution

"...A new report takes stock of how economic, social and environmental realities in the Intermountain West are being driven by the emergence of five super-sized “megapolitan” areas that dominate the states of Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah..."

I have downloaded the full report and I believe it will make interesting reading
http://www.brookings.edu/metro/~/med...ull_report.pdf

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 02:39 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,851 times
Not much time to spare today, but IMHO, the New West basically sucks.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Not much time to spare today, but IMHO, the New West basically sucks.
Oh, you don't say---Thanks for you intellectual comment and that creative word--wow, I am impressed.

Livecontent

Old 07-20-2008, 03:37 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Well, interesting read--but it the document is so internally disingenuous that you have to wonder if the person who wrote the conclusions and "headlines" actually read it. Basically, it says that the current growth trends in the Rocky Mountain West are going to continue--even accelerate, and that the region will be the boom area in the country. Sounds like a great sound bite for the "New Democrats" to chant about when they meet in Denver next month. (Am I the only one that thinks that the release of this document by the Brookings Institution, which frequently favors "liberal" causes, on the eve of the Democratic Convention in Denver smells just a little bit "funny?") Read into the document, though, and the statements there contain enough warning flags to question any cheery conclusion. Some highlights: Water is already a problem in some areas (Duh!) and will likely become a more serious problem if current growth and climate trends continue. The transportation infrastructure of the region, especially rail, is woefully inadequate. Living costs are higher than the national average and incomes are lower. Education is substandard in many areas. Immigration has brought many relatively uneducated and less productive workers into the region at the same time that the number of unskilled jobs available is shrinking. The report also notes that construction will likely continue to be the major economic force in much of the region rather than many other "productive" industries.

That last one reminded me of a quote from an economist who said that an economy relying solely on construction is akin to a society eating its own **** to keep from starving.

The report is heavy on the idea that some new collaborative model will emerge that will somehow allow all of the stakeholders in the process to solve that myriad of major challenges that all of that growth is going to engender. Had these mental giants bothered to look at the history of the region, they would see that has seldom, if ever happened, and--in the ever-more contentious, "me-centered" world of 2008--is about as likely as a palm tree growing on top of Long's Peak. Of course, Brookings--because it loves federalism--sees a magnanimous role for the Federal government funding and managing all of this wonderful growth in the region. Uh, that would be the Federal government that has done such a GREAT job managing the energy situation, the mortgage meltdown, education, etc., etc.

In one enlightening moment, the document talks about urban growth in the region becoming more "densified" (i.e., "New Urbanism"), but then goes off and gushes about the sprawling metropolitan areas in the region growing and sprawling together into ever-more amorphous blobs. Guys, you can't have it both ways.

So, we have another fluff and bull**** feel-good treatise predicting an outcome that--if it happens--will be a social and environmental disaster for the region. It's always heartening to us "common folk" to see that Ph.D.'s and other supposed experts can have their heads clear up their ***es as far as those anointed types usually think we do.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:38 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
In one enlightening moment, the document talks about urban growth in the region becoming more "densified" (i.e., "New Urbanism"), but then goes off and gushes about the sprawling metropolitan areas in the region growing and sprawling together into ever-more amorphous blobs. Guys, you can't have it both ways.

So, we have another fluff and bull**** feel-good treatise predicting an outcome that--if it happens--will be a social and environmental disaster for the region. It's always heartening to us "common folk" to see that Ph.D.'s and other supposed experts can have their heads clear up their ***es as far as those anointed types usually think we do.
This I agree with. I simply ignore most of these reports coming out, as it tells me nothing I didn't already know. Interesting discussion going on the Albuquerque forum right now, since one of the new "megapolitan" areas the report talks about about is Albuquerque/Santa Fe. In their case, they have a commuter rail system under construction (the Rail Runner) that when complete in just a few years, will link Albuquerque and Santa Fe with mass transit. I still don't see how that amounts to Albuquerque and Santa Fe becoming one "megapolitan" area, especially with Indian reservations splitting the two cities.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:59 PM

I do not totally agree with JazzLover's gloom because I am more of an optimists but he has many many good points and his comments were intellectual and well though out--so I gave him a rep--can you believe that??? It beats the word "suck".

I have started reading the report and it does say that there are hazards in the growth and there will be significant problems. It is saying much that is already known about the growth of the region. However, the growth will occur, in any case, and it trys to present a senario of how it could be handled. Optimistic, maybe but we will see.

It does talk about how California is losing the coastal influence:

"The region is growing up, flexing its muscles, and distancing itself from California, which historically has had an outsized impact on the West’s development."

I know a number of you, will love that. But beware, it is saying that we are becoming a powerhouse of our own; the day will come when new quiet areas of the country will be disgusted by all those "know it all" people "coming here from Colorado".

Livecontent

Old 07-20-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
"The region is growing up, flexing its muscles, and distancing itself from California, which historically has had an outsized impact on the West’s development."

I know a number of you, will love that. But beware, it is saying that we are becoming a powerhouse of our own; the day will come when new quiet areas of the country will be disgusted by all those "know it all" people "coming here from Colorado".

Livecontent
Actually, quite a lot of people in our neighboring states (Utah, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, etc.) are already sick of "know-it-all" Coloradans, mostly those "escaping" from the Front Range, moving to those states. When I relocated from Colorado to Wyoming several years ago, I definitely got the "unwelcome" vibe from many native Wyomingites until I explained that I was from rural Colorado. Then, they would say, "Oh, that's different--you're OK." Many old-line rural Rocky Mountain residents paint Front Range "greenies" (so named because of the Colorado license plate) in the same dubious light as Texans, Californians, "Easterners" and other yuppie urban types perceived as the monied invaders of the rural Rocky Mountains. Cruise around some of the other Rocky Mountain state forums and you'll see what I mean. The "vibe" is there.

As an aside, it's not surprising that Colorado got rid of county coding on its license plates a few years back. Before then, having a "Front Range" county designation or a Front Range emission sticker tagged you with a "black mark" in many rural Colorado counties. Yes, really.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Actually, quite a lot of people in our neighboring states (Utah, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, etc.) are already sick of "know-it-all" Coloradans, mostly those "escaping" from the Front Range, moving to those states. When I relocated from Colorado to Wyoming several years ago, I definitely got the "unwelcome" vibe from many native Wyomingites until I explained that I was from rural Colorado. Then, they would say, "Oh, that's different--you're OK." Many old-line rural Rocky Mountain residents paint Front Range "greenies" (so named because of the Colorado license plate) in the same dubious light as Texans, Californians, "Easterners" and other yuppie urban types perceived as the monied invaders of the rural Rocky Mountains. Cruise around some of the other Rocky Mountain state forums and you'll see what I mean. The "vibe" is there.

I'm glad you were smart enough to be born in Colorado. At least that's where I think you were born.

As an aside, it's not surprising that Colorado got rid of county coding on its license plates a few years back. Before then, having a "Front Range" county designation or a Front Range emission sticker tagged you with a "black mark" in many rural Colorado counties. Yes, really.
And here I thought they just ran out of combinations.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:12 PM

On the license plate thing, I was told by a "high-up" in the Department of Revenue that the department recommended that, since computerization had obviated the need for county coding, it be dropped. Many law enforcement people opposed the change, but some metro area law enforcement were in favor of it because some metro gangs were picking fights with other gangs based on the county code on the plate (i.e., Denver gangs vs. Adams County gangs). I was also told that New Mexico quit placing county decals on their license plates for the same reason at about the same time. And, before you ask the question, yes, Wyoming (and Montana) still do county code their license plates.

And, no, I wasn't smart enough to be born in Colorado, I was fortunate and blessed to be born there, and I haven't forgotten that. That's why I fight so hard to protect the natural and historical heritage of the place against those who would trash it.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
And, no, I wasn't smart enough to be born in Colorado, I was fortunate and blessed to be born there, and I haven't forgotten that. That's why I fight so hard to protect the natural and historical heritage of the place against those who would trash it.
And the rest of us, who weren't so fortuanate, can just kiss off? Especially us "Easterner" yuppie urban types? After all, I am from Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado