U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,155,387 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just wanted to post back my one-week exploring and bike trek in your beautiful State of Colorado.
My son and I had a blast! Coming from Austin I did not see any bad attitudes or hatred from the residents there.

Therefore, the Colorado hates Texan’s IMHO is not true!
We enjoyed our stay out there. Everyday there was something to do! My motivation status every morning when I got there was up was 120%. I did not waste one-day NOT wanting to do ANYTHING! Even though Austin, TX imho is more LUSH and colorful, those mountains you have is something very, very special! All the river rapids, hike & bike trails and scenic views is something I regret giving up when I left back in 1996.

The weather out there was HOT for a Colorado resident and was in the mid / lower 90’s. To me coming out of Texas, it was like heaven without the humidity! Everyday when we got into my vehicle, the windows was rolled down and the AC button was not active. Talk about a SMILE on our faces!

Coming from 600’ elevation to 5400’-14000’ (Mt. Evans) was a lung-buster and I learned that very, very quick on a bike trek we did on our second day out in CO @ 7600’.
So if you are coming from lower elevation, drink loads of H2O and take it slow and easy.

My son has asthma out here in Austin, then coming out to CO and riding his bike like a jackrabbit in those mountains; he did not even once take his inhaler. Therefore, I told my wife we found the cure.

I really did not explorer the fine DENVER area, but we did visit Washington Park, City Park and then Colfax / Downtown area. We did not get out of our car when in Downtown, but THE DENVER POST is HUGE! I really wanted to visit the Mile High Stadium (go Bronc’s) but time was very limited and this trip was only planned to ride our mountain bikes in the greater outside Denver area.

Over-all we had a blast, people on the trails were extremely polite, lot of active people (overweight or not) they were all outside getting active (even in Denver).
I know I easily put well over 1200 miles on my vehicle when I was there. Everywhere I go, it seems like something was always an interest.

Traffic was not a issue; we stayed in a hotel right off of Araphoe and I-25 area. My trips up North I-25 was very easily flowing. 6th Ave to I-70 was nice view and drive. The pitty drive was from Denver to Ft. Collins, that smell……. Eghh!! Boulder was very pretty, but too-many kids all over the place for my taste.

I think on our next visit, I think we’ll be looking more @ the towns of Denver.
Last but not least, my old hometown of Colorado Springs. I am sure some love it, but to me, what the heck did they do to those mountains off I25? All the houses, talk about loosing the scenic views because of that.

Thanks for reading.

~Mike

Pictures soon to come
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 AM

15,868 posts, read 28,226,666 times
Sounds like a grand trip!
As I sit here stewing in the humidity of eastern Massachusetts... plotting an escape for next May or so... Isn't that dry air a miracle?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 AM

Some pics:

BETASSO PRESERVE in BOULDER

======================

MT. EVANS

YES....... SNOW IN JULY!!

FT. COLLINS, CO / HORSETOOTH

==================================
CHIMNEY GULCH

=====================
BUFFALO BILLS GRAVE

================

QUINCY RESERVOIR

Old 07-28-2008, 09:16 AM

MORE......................

CITY PARK in DENVER

==========================

GOLDEN, CO / IN SOME RESIDENTS BACKYARD :d

FREE BEER!!!

Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Sounds like a grand trip!
As I sit here stewing in the humidity of eastern Massachusetts... plotting an escape for next May or so... Isn't that dry air a miracle?
Yes, a relief (dry air).

I do have to say this though, my son lips got really bad, even w/ chapstik. Mine were also affected a little, but nothing bad as my son got.

I really did not need lotion as I expected or nasal spray. I did not get altitude sickness when I was up there.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:10 AM

90,377 posts, read 109,210,504 times
Altitude sickness is a very individual thing. Some get it severely, some don't. There's not really a way to know who will and who won't.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,680,984 times
Holy freakin pictures !

Old 07-28-2008, 08:25 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,700,437 times
Nice pics!!!!!!!!!!!
Your son may have "humidity induced asthma."
Some do better in dry climates...much like my ex husband. They had his parents pick between Arizona and Colorado when he was in the 3rd grade in Shreveport, LA. They obviously picked CO., and he was/is fine.
That was a long time ago, maybe things are different now? He ended up being a football player in Aurora with a scholarship to Western State (Gunnison). He couldn't even play with other kids in Shreveport...go figure??
I love all of your photos,..sure looks like you got around and had a fantastic time!! Thanks for sharing!!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Holy freakin pictures !
Heck----> You should see my Hard-Drive

Old 07-29-2008, 06:00 PM

16,036 posts, read 24,086,352 times
Really nice pics. I never thought of trying to snap shots while negotiating a single-bike path!

The areas around Golden look a bit greener than when I was there earlier on in the Spring.

CS is a gr8 place too, I just like the way Denver is laid out better. It depends on the day and how you drive through the town though.

I heard someone best describe Colorado Springs as having an awesome view no matter where you're at.

Mt. Evans! You got snowed on in July! I did too. Late July too. Nice shots of the mt goats! Did you ride your bikes all the way up there? That's one way to stay in shape.

So Coors. Did you do the "short" tour? That means straight to the beer.

Go Broncos! Yeah buddy. Not ready for that just yet though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado