U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 PM
H_H H_H started this thread

1 posts, read 6,525 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Durango in 3 weeks and have to opportunity to work in either Farmington or Pagosa Springs. Do people regularly commute from Durango to either Farmington or Pagosa Springs? How long would each commute take and how are the road conditions (especially in the winter)? I prefer the mountains to the desert but haven't spent a whole lot of time in the region. I suppose I don't have to live in Durango but prefer the town and atmosphere. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 03:55 PM

8,317 posts, read 27,696,984 times
Yes, there are people that make the commute every day. Durango to Pagosa can be treacherous in the winter, and one has to contend with the tourist traffic in the summer. Durango to Farmington has quite a bit of traffic. It can have issues in the winter, especially for the first few miles out of Durango.

I will be pilloried (nothing new) for saying this, but I think it foolhardy for anyone to be setting themselves up for a 100 to 120 mile roundtrip commute these days--especially will fuel costs are and where they are likely to be in the future. Someone will undoubtedly pipe up and say that there are many people across the country making those kind of commutes every day. Just because a lot of people do it does not make it any less foolish. Not to mention the fact that I consider my time much too valuable to waste 2 hours or more of it each day sitting on my butt in an automobile.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:38 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,746,539 times
Personally, I can't imagine doing either one on a regular basis.

The drive from Durango to Pagosa is a long one. In addition to the weather there can be a lot of deer hanging out on the sides of the road so you have to be extra alert.

There are two routes you could take between Durango and Farmington and both take about an hour. I've driven it in the winter and it can be just as treacherous as the Pagosa/Durango commute.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:09 PM

17,228 posts, read 23,103,253 times
H_H! Double H here! (we're H galore on this post!). Strongly consider getting a place in Farmington. It is a LOT more affordable than Durango if your work steers you in that direction. Durango to Farmington through 550 is a little over 50 miles. Jazzlover and Yodi are right. I've been in storms through there and they are NO FUN. And you have a lot of commuters going in both directions early in the morning. Halliburton is a big employer in Farmington and those gas trucks are rumbling out on the highways early, trust me! Nothin' wrong with Durango if you've got the bucks, but you've got the students to contend with on rentals (Ft. Lewis College) and the cost of living is not for the blue collar worker (you didn't state what type of work you are in). Tell you what I'd do; hang in Durango on a weekend. Although the main drag gets a little noisy, there are LOTS of mom and pop motels where you can get rooms for the weekend. Tourist season will be over, they are not that busy in hunting season. And the rooms are $30 to 35 a night, some a little higher. I go to a couple concerts a season at the Ft. Lewis College fieldhouse, they have a better than average lineup for concerts. Get a cab to take you to the clubs, or a concert or a movie. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:41 PM

2,746 posts, read 6,500,873 times
Just another voice saying don't do it.

If you choose to work in Farmington, live in Farmington. If you take the job in Pagosa, live in Pagosa. Sure, Durango is a great place to live and work if you have the job that lets you afford the place to live, but it doesn't offer anything special over and above Farmington or Pagosa. If you have a choice of working in Farmington or Pagosa, visit both of them, decide which you prefer, and live and work in that community.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:48 AM

57 posts, read 147,208 times
I have been in Durango only 13 years, but have been told by most of my neighbors that last year's winter storms were the "norm" 25 years ago. I don't know if another one of these "normal" winters is ahead, but last year, it took us almost 2 hours to get to Farmington to get a generator. And we didn't even want to attempt the drive to Pagosa, knowing the roads around Chama were already closed.

I agree with all above; save gas $$$, aggravation, and be safer on the roads. Move the the city you will be working in.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:34 AM

7,810 posts, read 17,911,720 times
jazzlover worte:
I will be pilloried (nothing new) for saying this, but I think it foolhardy for anyone to be setting themselves up for a 100 to 120 mile roundtrip commute these days--especially will fuel costs are and where they are likely to be in the future. Someone will undoubtedly pipe up and say that there are many people across the country making those kind of commutes every day. Just because a lot of people do it does not make it any less foolish. Not to mention the fact that I consider my time much too valuable to waste 2 hours or more of it each day sitting on my butt in an automobile.
I will be the one to say that there are many people across the country making those kind of commutes every day. I will add that IMO, they are socially irresponsible idiots.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 AM

57 posts, read 147,208 times
Many people make those commutes not because they are socially irresponsible (nor are they idiots), but because they need to live where they can AFFORD to live. Especially those with families. A small 1 bedroom condo IN the city can cost as much or more than a 3 bedroom home, 50 miles outside the city. Regarding the Durango area, this is especially true.

Making a long drive, with or without heavy traffic is not a choice, but a necessity for most people.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:11 AM

8,317 posts, read 27,696,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmyopinion View Post
Many people make those commutes not because they are socially irresponsible (nor are they idiots), but because they need to live where they can AFFORD to live. Especially those with families. A small 1 bedroom condo IN the city can cost as much or more than a 3 bedroom home, 50 miles outside the city. Regarding the Durango area, this is especially true.

Making a long drive, with or without heavy traffic is not a choice, but a necessity for most people.
Then, if that is the only way to live affordably in an area--with what the future appears to hold for fuel prices, economic strains, etc.--it's probably not a very good place to make long-term plans to reside, as many people will soon find out.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 AM

7,810 posts, read 17,911,720 times
justmyopinion wrote:

Perhaps my choice of words was a bit extreme, but jazzlovers words below ring true to the core.

jazzlover wrote:
Then, if that is the only way to live affordably in an area--with what the future appears to hold for fuel prices, economic strains, etc.--it's probably not a very good place to make long-term plans to reside, as many people will soon find out.
Jazz...you hit the mail on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado