Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 33,403 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

My fiance & are contemplating a move to a moutnain town, and I'm looking for some info about my job prospects in and around Fort Collins. I am a high school English teacher with 5+ years experience in a strong school district outside Boston, Mass.

Are teaching jobs plentiful out there? Will being from the east coast hurt or help or not matter at all in my job search? When does the hiring cycle for teachers typically begin in CO? Are any districts particularly worth pursuing?

Thanks a lot. I'm really excited about the idea of moving west, and I appreciate any insights or advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 05:15 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,589,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozco View Post
I am a high school English teacher...
Consider proof reading your posts. ("My Fiance & and...", "...to a Moutnain...")

Old 09-12-2007, 10:59 PM

157 posts, read 650,564 times
Hey rozco ~

I can't speak for Fort Collins and its schools, (hopefully others can help there) but here are some thoughts. Where I've been, your east coast background wouldn't likely have mattered ... hiring cycle ~ job fairs at univeristies/colleges are normally in April, with major interviews in early June or maybe late May (may be different in other districts, but that's how mine went).

I would definately recommend getting started asap because Colorado has "relatively" extensive, time-consuming, and kInda expensive teacher certification requirements ... Colorado Department of Education Home Page can tell you a lot ... you might have already done this. You might have already done this, too, but search this forum for "teaching Fort Collins" or just "teaching" or whatever ... I found some some really good info. that way.

Good Luck and best wishes ~

Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,464,273 times
Boulder Valley schools, a sort of sister district to Ft. Collins in the sense that both are college towns, has hundreds of applicants for every job. You might look at the substitute teaching pages on the DOE website. A friend of mine who is signed up with both BV and St. Vrain (northern Boulder Co) says she could sub full-time if she wanted to. You will not get benefits doing this, however.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:48 AM

423 posts, read 1,956,342 times
There are several new schools in the Fort Collins area. There was one opened in Timnath, Wellington, and Fort Collins this year, and there are plans for more to open next year. The area is still growing pretty rapidly. There are several colleges in town including Front Range Community College, Regis University, and Colorado State University. There are also two main school district for K-12, they are Thompson Valley School district in Loveland, and Poudre Valley School district in Fort Collins. You may want to look at their websites for more info. I hear it is very competative, but if you have 5 plus years and some good referals you will most likely be ok. Also just so you know Fort Collins is at the foothills of the mountains. There are places in the mountains close to town like Livermore, Glacierview Meadows, Red Feather, Horsetooth and Buckhorn canyon area, etc. Just thought I would let you know that. Good Luck.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 PM

7 posts, read 33,403 times
Thanks for all of the advice.

Charles, I'll try to be more careful, thanks.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 10,403 times
Default High school teaching ops

My DH teaches at Poudre High, one of the two large high schools in Fort Collins. I will be honest, he says the jobs are terribly hard to get. This area is packed solid with well educated people. (correct me if I'm wrong guys) I believe there are 2 major colleges in Fort Collins alone. I contemplated teaching at one of the high schools, but even getting in as a Para is nearly impossible. I'd have to apply this year for next, POSSIBLY, because your name is put into a pool of applicants. I know a young lady teaching at Poudre High who has been a Para for 4 years and still hasn't gotten a full time position.

As one post stated there are new schools, however two that were listed are elementary schools. The one in Wellington is brand new, having just opened for the fall semester. They already have a list of would-be teachers waiting to teach there.

If you find one it's a wonderful district, good luck on your search.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:01 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,421,178 times
A. Fort Collins is not a "mountain town." It sits at the base of the Front Range foothills. And, it really isn't a "town"--it's a pretty good-sized city.

B. Teaching jobs. You will be competing with a lot of people for those jobs just about anywhere in the state. In the urban areas, there are lot of transplants always moving in, looking for the "Colorado lifestyle." A fair number of them are teachers. For locals and transplants both, the 9 month/summer off teaching schedule is very attractive to people who love Colorado's summer recreation. That is a magnet, too. In the rural areas of the state, teaching jobs are often the most stable, decent paying jobs available. Often, even at Colorado's very average teacher salaries, a teacher in a rural district may have one of the highest paying jobs in the county--so, unlike many places, teaching jobs are prized, sought after, and held onto for the long-term. They are also one of the few careers available to natives of those smaller places who would actually like to stay there. Among those small town school districts, I can tell you that there often is a bias towards hiring that "local boy or girl" as a teacher.

Bottom line: it is possible to get a teaching job in Colorado, but expect it to be highly competitive and at salaries that may not look so great when comparing against living costs.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,464,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Butterfly View Post
My DH teaches at Poudre High, one of the two large high schools in Fort Collins. I will be honest, he says the jobs are terribly hard to get. This area is packed solid with well educated people. (correct me if I'm wrong guys)

No, you are correct.

I believe there are 2 major colleges in Fort Collins alone.

I only know of the one: Colorado State University. There may be a community college as well.

I contemplated teaching at one of the high schools, but even getting in as a Para is nearly impossible. I'd have to apply this year for next, POSSIBLY, because your name is put into a pool of applicants. I know a young lady teaching at Poudre High who has been a Para for 4 years and still hasn't gotten a full time position.

As one post stated there are new schools, however two that were listed are elementary schools. The one in Wellington is brand new, having just opened for the fall semester. They already have a list of would-be teachers waiting to teach there.

If you find one it's a wonderful district, good luck on your search.
I agree. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,591 times
Default grammar poleece =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Consider proof reading your posts. ("My Fiance & and...", "...to a Moutnain...")
In response to Charles the SENIOR MEMBER, I just love it when people try and seize the moment to seem intelligent in terms of their limited grasp of the english language. Yes I do see the conflict represented by the admission of being an English teacher and starting the post off with mulitiple misspelled words however I doubt very seriously the poster was aware she was going to be graded on her post. I habitually use characters and abbreviations that would make your average grade-school teacher cringe, but these are often on informal, unprofessional emails and postings. I did try my best to make this post up to your standards Mr. Charles, however since you seem to have so much time on your hands feel free to critique this post as well. guday (couldn't resist it)

P.S. Hope you enjoy Colorado, its a beautiful place that I was able to call home even if only for a 6 month period and hope to return to within the next few years.

Last edited by snobrdr101; 08-27-2008 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: charles will kill me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado