Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:26 AM

13 posts, read 144,770 times

Advertisements

I have been reading alot of posts on here about the western slope of Colorado. What are the primary differences between the eastern and western slope, I realize that more people live along the eastern side but what are some of the other diffences?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 01:54 PM

11,547 posts, read 52,903,008 times
Generally speaking:

The Eastern Slope (front range) has a diverse economy based upon agriculture, education, manufacturing & research, military, tourism and many other aspects you would normally associate with a vibrant economy and (relatively) large population base.

The Western Slope is more based upon agriculture, ranching, tourism, and extractive industries. The towns are smaller and the economic base is not as dense as the Front Range so services, shopping, and "big city" amenities are much fewer and further apart.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:35 PM

90 posts, read 316,610 times
sunsprit's post is good. I'd add....

"Generally speaking" the WS folks think they live in the "real" Colorado ... and that ES-ers are "citi-fied".

(But that ignores the Eastern Plains folk altogether. They *also* live in an "old time" version of Colorado ... ranching, farming, etc.)

ES Coloradans vary from being completely oblivious to WS folk ... to thinking them hippies or hicks ... to harboring great envy for the more relaxed lifestyle of the WS-ers.

(I should be a politician, huh?)

- KK

Old 02-06-2007, 08:14 AM

129 posts, read 1,224,275 times
As someone who has lived on both sides of the "hills", I've also noticed that Eastern Slope (Front Range) weather tends to vary far more than Western Slope weather.

For example, the average high temperature for a winter day in both Denver and Montrose may be 30. In Montrose, most days around that time will have a high very close to 30 -- say from 25 to 35. In Denver, for the same period of time, the highs may range from 5 to 55.

The Western Slope also tends to get less snow and rain than similar elevations on the Front Range.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:16 AM

4 posts, read 29,838 times
The easterners are alot more buisness people and families......the western slope towns are dominated by tourism,hippies and ski bums....big city to ski towns ......but the western slope lifestyle is alot more easygoing and u will notice how outgoing people are from the western slops compared to the city slickers who re in the cities.....

Old 02-06-2007, 01:37 PM

40 posts, read 203,399 times
The eastern slope is crowded and busy. People on the eastern slope have a more of a city mentality. It has been my experience that they always seem to be in a hurry, drive faster and crazier, and are less friendly. People on the western slope are more laid back, friendlier and less stressed. If you're a city person, you'd want to live in the Denver/front range coridor. If you're a small town person, you'd like the western slope.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:21 PM

90 posts, read 316,610 times
I wonder if PamelaAZ is even reading these responses...? (But it's notable that we seem to be expressing the same general themes....)

- KK

Old 02-06-2007, 02:24 PM

13 posts, read 144,770 times
I'm reading the responses, thanks for the input, it helps me get a better feel for the state

Old 02-07-2007, 08:57 AM

129 posts, read 1,224,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poormeadrink86 View Post
...the western slope towns are dominated by tourism,hippies and ski bums...
LOL! So far, on the western slope, I've met only one person I might label a hippie (compared to many more on the eastern slope), just a few ski bums, and a handful of people involved in the tourism industries.

Actually, I've met people on both sides of the mountains in all sorts of professions, doing all sorts of work, and all sorts of personalities. There are simply a lot fewer people here in the Western Slope towns, and therefore a higher percentage of ranchers & other rural population as a ratio between urban and rural.

I definitely agree that things are more easygoing here in the west as compared to the Front Range cities, but that's also true of other small towns and rural regions throughout Colorado (and probably everywhere else).

Old 02-07-2007, 08:49 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,886,108 times
Born and raised in Colorado Springs. Spent a few years in Grand Junction. Spent a few years in Denver Metro. Live back in C Springs.

Yet, I keep having dreams about moving back to Grand Junction.

The only real difference is the Western Slope is a little more laid back as it hasn't had the influx of out-of-staters like the Front Range. The geology is far different than the Front Range and the further west you go the more desert it is like.

the industries are different but overall, it's the Colorado Lifestyle people seek. I had relatives visit me when I lived in GJ and they really liked it but for the smaller "city" that it is. They didn't quite get why I liked it so much there.

While Denver, C Springs and other cities/communities on the Front Range have more "night life" and more culture, the Western Slope has it's own hidden gems that you can't get here. It's much quicker to get to outdoor things than here on the high plains. Fewer people also mean a more relaxed life.

I miss the heck out of it. I would move there in a second if I could afford to move. My heart is in GJ. I like the more simplistic lifestyle but you can still get in some culture, good food and the drive up to Glenwood Springs is scenic (outside the oil pumping stations) and Carbondale has its own charm as well as El Jebel and on the other side is Paonia and such. Olathe is a fun place to visit for a day as well as Montrose.

I have found a lot of fun hiking areas between GJ and those areas and going to the Grand Mesa when it's 100° in GJ is a nice day trip to get out of the heat. Averaging around 70°-75° on top and the view is phenomonal.

But there's plenty of golf (which I don't do) but I used to love taking a day trip in the winter to Moab, UT along the back route to see some of the incredible geologic formations along the Colorado River.

It's where I should be but alas I am not. I like the Front Range but rather prefer the slower lifestyle and the independence of GJ. You can still get in a good meal, both local and national chains but there's just something about a regular "festival" in the summer that you can't get here on the Front Range. It's more intimate, more of them and downtown GJ has a charm that no other larger city in CO can even come close to.

Man, I miss that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado