Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:22 PM

93 posts, read 260,339 times

Advertisements

Florida has lots of problems. Very low paying jobs, a large percentage of poorly educated people, huge disparities in wealth, and high crime. Plus the economy is highly dependent on tourism with little in the way of companies that represent new technologies.

That said, it does have beautiful beaches, beautiful flora and fauna, and virtually no topography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 10:43 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0457 View Post
Florida has lots of problems. Very low paying jobs, a large percentage of poorly educated people, huge disparities in wealth, and high crime. Plus the economy is highly dependent on tourism with little in the way of companies that represent new technologies.

That said, it does have beautiful beaches, beautiful flora and fauna, and virtually no topography.
When I lived in Durango everybody I knew had at least two (and usually three) jobs and lived with at least three or four other people (some of whom they did not even know personally) just to survive. I'd say there is plenty of disparity in wealth there as well.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-17-2008, 10:23 AM

8 posts, read 20,460 times
How is Boulder off season? Is skiing far from the city? if so, how far or how long does it take to get to the mountains? I read an article the other day that it is one of the best places to retire.

What about Breckenridge? How is life there off-season? Are there good schools? What is the typical population make-up there?

Old 09-17-2008, 04:39 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiaddict View Post
How is Boulder off season? Is skiing far from the city? if so, how far or how long does it take to get to the mountains? I read an article the other day that it is one of the best places to retire.

What about Breckenridge? How is life there off-season? Are there good schools? What is the typical population make-up there?
I think you've been trying to get this question answered for awhile now, so I'll take a stab.

Boulder doesn't have an off-season, it's a fully functional year-round city. Unless, you consider the time during the summer when school (CU) is out as off-season. It is simply put, a college-town, but has an abundance of jobs as well. People live, work, and play in Boulder all year long.

I could be wrong, but Eldora is the closest ski area. Probably about 30-45 minutes away.

I've only been to Breckenridge once, I found it to be cute, but yuppified.

People typically go to the mountains during summer as well, just not as much as in winter. Lots of recreation to be had up there all year long.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:03 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,511 times
If you're a ski addict, Eldora will not be enough. You'll want to hit the "big" areas in Summit/Eagle County and elsewhere. From Denver/Boulder to "big-area" skiing will be about 1-1.5 hours with no traffic (which is rare on weekends).

Breck is a very touristy town. If you want a place with more year-round residents, look into Silverthorne or Dillon, both about 20 minutes from Breck (but only 10-15 minutes from other ski areas). As always, finding a job will be your challenge. But lots of different ethnicities and nationalities up here (including many South Americans).

Other than a month or two in the spring and fall, there's really no off-season in the high country. There are tons of festivals, concerts, and street fairs in the summer, and lots of people around.

Btw, for more ski-oriented information, check out the forums at Epicski -- lots of ski addicts there (including Colorado locals).

Old 09-17-2008, 07:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

I agree with David A. about Boulder. I mean, it isn't really a ski town; it's a college town with a lot of "others" working for a living year-round.

Breck is a ski town. You could probably get some info about make-up of the town on the CD main page for Breckenridge.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:45 PM

8 posts, read 20,460 times
Thank you David, thank you Fuzz , thank you Katiana. I get it now! Finding a job is not a problem since I own an online business, which makes it easier for me to move anywhere I want. My main concern was year-round activities, good schools, and a good environment for a single mom.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:22 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,917 times
Quote:
Thank you David, thank you Fuzz , thank you Katiana. I get it now! Finding a job is not a problem since I own an online business, which makes it easier for me to move anywhere I want. My main concern was year-round activities, good schools, and a good environment for a single mom.
IMO, Summit County would fit your need then, but it is Expensive and the cost of living is very high......Boulder is flat, like Denver, but it closer to the mountains than Denver. Boulder has more "city" amenities than Summit County will have.

If skiing is really what you want to be closer to, then Summit County is your answer, I also hear that the schools here are really good, low crime and alot of Hispanic/Latino/South American's here that should make you feel more comfortable

--Good Luck

Old 09-17-2008, 09:47 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Most of the "South Americans" (and Australians, ditto) I've seen working at the ski resorts are college students, typically of white European ancestry, doing something fun for their summer break (their summer is our winter). I think some people here are blowing this "Hispanic/ Latino" thing out of proportion-- other than for your typical Mexican/Central American migrant workers which can be found anywhere else in Colorado and the southwest doing all the dirty jobs.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:51 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Most of the "South Americans" (and Australians, ditto) I've seen working at the ski resorts are college students, typically of white European ancestry, doing something fun for their summer break (their summer is our winter). I think some people here are blowing this "Hispanic/ Latino" thing out of proportion-- other than for your typical Mexican/Central American migrant workers which can be found anywhere else in Colorado and the southwest doing all the dirty jobs.
I don't know if that was intended for me , but I was trying to be positive and let her know that there were other Hispanics here. I figured that it would make her more comfortable to know that there were others here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado