Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 07:35 PM

274 posts, read 952,207 times

Advertisements

In reading another thread from a couple of years back I was surprised to find that apparently wood buring stoves and fireplaces are outlawed in certain parts of Colorado. Could someone tell me if they're still allowed in the Durango, La Plata County, Silverton, and Ouray areas? Also, if so what is the likelyhood that it will be allowed to continue?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 03:24 PM

108 posts, read 389,589 times
Wood stoves are still alive and well here. A large percentage of people still use them for their main source of heat. I have never heard anything about outlawing them, I would think that would be hard to do in such a rural area....

Old 09-23-2008, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the reply.

When you say alive and well here, are you referring to Durango itself or the unincorporated areas outside the city limits?

Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:18 PM

504 posts, read 2,175,035 times
Maybe you're thinking about uncertified woodstoves being outlawed. Parts of Oregon did the same due to terible air quality issues in the wintermany years ago. A woodstove is legal there, but it must be certified as being low pollution emiting. They're generally very efficient too. It's hard to buy a non-certified woodstove anywhere now. Pellet stoves are also less polluting.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:08 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Default Where are fireplaces outlawed in Colorado?

Which towns in Colorado outlaw woodburning fireplaces and stoves? I am looking for smoke free air.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 AM

Hi Terry. I could have been misinterpreting the posts as Bluebird had suggested above, but there are a few threads on the subject if you search the Colorado forum. It appears to be mainly along the Front Range. One post I read stated that all fireplaces installed in Denver since 1985 are gas. It went on to explain that due to air quality days I think different restrictions were imposed. I wouldn't think a city that had to deal with those issues would work for your goal.

Here is the link to that thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/denve...d-burning.html

I understand NH has banned the outside wood buring heat sources that Bluebird mentioned as well.

Despite the wood burning fireplaces, I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding clean air in rural Colorado. The restaraunts are nice too as the state itself is non-smoking.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado