Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:42 AM

119 posts, read 705,825 times

Advertisements

livecontent,

you put everything into such great perspective. My parents are immigrants from Poland and they came to the new land as well and left everything behind. My mother visited Poland only once since she left and it was 24 years before doing so. She didn't know the language, didn't have family here....now that's tough. She was my inspiration to pack my bags and move out west to the new frontier. My hubby and I wanted a change and loved the west so we got we what asked for....change. He put it best....leaving is like breaking up with an old girlfriend. After your break up you think of all the fond memories you've shared, but you forget all the reasons why you broke up. It's kinda like that. Before we moved out here, i was cussing about everything I couldn't stand and couldn't wait to move. But now that I'm here it's hard not to compare. There's still something about New England; memories, perhaps,.....too many and that's the problem. I've got to make up for it here and begin my own traditions with my family. I want these feelings to go away so I can get on with my life and not run around with blinders on. I don't want my memories to go away. I just want be happy that I'm here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 02:17 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Perhaps my challenge is that I never "broke up" with Maryland. It was the only state I didn't leave willingly. I'd have stayed happily!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Curious in CT,

Perhaps it was much easier for me to leave my home state because I was in the Army. Every time, I returned home on leave, I felt more like a visitor. Also, because the Buffalo area where I grew up was decaying. In my visits home, there were less and less of the people I knew; they were also leaving. In addition, I went away to college, worked in different states, and moving to Colorado was not a blunt separation from my past.

In the same sense, areas of Europe were in decay. If you read about the early waves of immigration from Europe, you will know that many towns and villages were decimated by immigration to America. In Sicily, where all my grandparents originated; many times the people were forced on the ships by the authorities, to get rid of the poor. Whole families moved or followed. In Colorado, many Italians can trace their roots to a Single area of Potenza, so they built Potenza Hall on West 38th in North Denver; it is still there. I can remember as a child, immigrants would not identify themselves so much as an Italian, but from the village or region. That is because, of course, the nation of Italy was very new, formed in the late 19th century from different regions and that national identity was not firmly established.

All my siblings and my parents moved to Colorado; so in a way, it is much easier. We are all together, happy and alive here for many decades. It is interesting to note that all married people who moved from other states and now all the grandchildren have been born in Colorado. I have been here so long that sometimes, I make up stories to myself that I went to the local grade school and high school and eventually I will believe it. Also, I now have memories of times past in Colorado; of buildings that are no more; of people and events and I can see the changes over many decades. So, I have created a new long term past of maudlin longings.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-06-2009 at 07:43 PM..

Old 03-06-2009, 08:01 PM

You are certainly lucky to have your whole family here. I always say, I just wish for one person....just one person from back home to move out this way and be nearby. If everyone lived out here with me....heck...I would say whatever to CT. I've come to realize that it's the people and memories that I miss the most. I also think, gosh, CT must be great for no one from my family to ever leave the place and therefore, I must still be missing out on something special. I never felt that it was anything special when I lived there. As a matter of fact, when I met someone who moved to CT from elsewhere, I would always respond, "why the heck did you pick CT?" It's funny how the mind plays on you once you leave a place. You always think the grass is greener...well, it actually is greener in CT! LOL If everyone I knew left CT to be somewhere else, I don't think I would really care about wanting to be there.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
For 16 yrs we had no family here; the closest was in Omaha, NE. It was hard to get people to come out here to visit, even my parents at first. Now, we have family and it is wonderful! We get together for holidays; to go to the Pumpkin Patch at Halloween, the Botanic Gardens on Mother's Day, free days at the Art Museum. I love it!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:56 PM

16 posts, read 33,775 times
Well, if anyone is interested to know, I'm totally over the homesick thing. My husband and I drove back east to see family for the holidays, and I can say in all honesty that it was the most HORRIBLE trip of my life. The weather was terrible (only 3 days of sun in a month) and tons of ice storms. My car was in the shop for two weeks because I hit a chunk of ice in the road, my parent's neighbors hit and killed one of my dogs, and of course there was the usual family drama. NEVER again. Words can't express how happy I was to be home again, out west where I belong.
Sure, I've got lots of great memories of the east, but now I also have some very bad ones, and frankly after catching up with old friends, the quality of life is way better out here. So maybe the trip was necessary as an eye-opener, but I sure do miss my critter and wish that we just never went.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:18 PM

leafchime,
first off.....i'm so very sorry for the loss of your dog. I can't imagine. Pets are certainly the best form of family and I'm sorry. (i too have a dog and had to let one go a couple years back.) Anyways....I'm so happy that you went home and realized this was the place to be. After I visit all of our friends and family, I'm hoping I feel that way too. We sure do take for granted all the wonderful days of sunshine, don't we? LOL

Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Thank You for telling us about your experiences. It makes it much better when we post and get a response. I am very happy for you. Now, perhaps you can think about creating a future for your own family in Colorado, When the children are grown; they may decide to stay in the immediate area if Colorado can continue to offer opportunities and a quality of life. Then, you will indeed have a new extended family. Also, we must also be reminded, as we get old, we should try not to create those "family dramas" which drive relatives and children away. But, alas what we decry in our elder generation, we become more and more like them everyday.

Livecontent

Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafchime View Post
Well, if anyone is interested to know, I'm totally over the homesick thing. My husband and I drove back east to see family for the holidays, and I can say in all honesty that it was the most HORRIBLE trip of my life. The weather was terrible (only 3 days of sun in a month) and tons of ice storms. My car was in the shop for two weeks because I hit a chunk of ice in the road, my parent's neighbors hit and killed one of my dogs, and of course there was the usual family drama. NEVER again. Words can't express how happy I was to be home again, out west where I belong. Sure, I've got lots of great memories of the east, but now I also have some very bad ones, and frankly after catching up with old friends, the quality of life is way better out here. So maybe the trip was necessary as an eye-opener, but I sure do miss my critter and wish that we just never went.
Ditto. I never did get homesick when I came here 3.5 years ago. The one thing I miss (real crabcakes, 100% jumbo lump eastern blue crab, from Faidley's, in Baltimore) I can order by phone and have shipped in cold (not frozen) by overnight air. Yummm. My childhood is long gone, I can't go back and get it. I'm happy here, it's gorgeous, people are friendly, weather is excellent (dry and sunny and mild) and being retired "every evening is Friday night and every sun-up is Saturday morning."

Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
I love visiting CO, but I highly enjoy living in NH. It is one of the best states in the eastern US. You have in NH: 1) LOW tax burden, 2) Good business climate, 3) Low Unemployment, 4) Great Outdoor Ammenities that include lakes, mountains, and a coast. 5) A very well educated population, 6) No State Income Tax or Sales Tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado