U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 AM

2,980 posts, read 7,740,057 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend has been offered a drilling job which is going to pay $80,000 starting and im hoping to get into the medical field, maybe nursing. Is Grand Junction a nice town, pleanty to do? I've heard that the cost of living is very high, is that true?

I'd just like to know more before commiting.

Thanks all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 12:44 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,951,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
My boyfriend has been offered a drilling job which is going to pay $80,000 starting and im hoping to get into the medical field, maybe nursing. Is Grand Junction a nice town, pleanty to do? I've heard that the cost of living is very high, is that true?

I'd just like to know more before commiting.

Thanks all.
Tons of things to do here, if you prefer the outdoors. Hiking, Biking, fishing, camping, hunting, shooting, rafting, golfing, etc. You get the idea.

The cost of living here is the cheapest I've seen, and I've looked into and lived in many state.

Taxes $650/yr
Gas/Electric $65/mo
Car Ins $350/Yr

Although he know A LOT about CO, Jazzlover will be along shorty more than likely to make the place seem like Detroit or Baghdad.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:54 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,121,389 times
Grand Junction is going to be completely opposite of Scotland. If you enjoy the rain, greenery, and rolling hills, you are going to surely miss that living in Grand Junction. It's a very different environment, both physically and socially, in comparison to most European countries.

If you are considering the nursing field, Mesa State College has a great nursing program. My husband graduated from the program and he never had trouble finding a job.

My opinion of Grand Junction is probably very different from most posts you will receive. I just moved away from "the junk town" after living there for almost 6 years. I couldn't take it anymore. If you do a search on this forum you will find many other threads regarding GJ. Most of them I have responded to.

The cost of living will depend on what you are used to. I don't know what it costs to live in Scotland, but many people who move to GJ for oil field jobs are coming from southern states (Texas, Arkansas, etc.). For many of those people, GJ is very high. I just moved to Oregon, and GJ was definately a lower cost of living. So, it depends on your perspective. Good luck if you decide to move. Just know that $80K sounds like an amazing amount of money, but your bf will be working extremely hard to earn it. You probably won't see each very much.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:11 PM

Hi everyone. I actually don't like the weather here. It doesn't rain alot its the damp feeling winters that annoy me and mild summers. I am an outdoors person that loves to hunt, fish etc.

Are there alot of malls, shops there? Well the cost of living can be expensive here especially with housing. Average house here in my town is $300,000. Taxes can be high too.

I just wasn't sure if $80k for one person would give us a good quality of life.

I do love the scenery there, it reminds me of the Scottish highlands.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:34 PM

386 posts, read 639,118 times
Because there are many people moving to Grand Junction right now, there is a housing shortage, and that's probably what they're talking about with regard to cost of living. In general, Grand Junction has a very low cost of living -- with the current and temporary exception of housing prices.

Grand Junction is in the desert near the mountains. It's warm and dry, but there is plenty to do outdoors. In the city, there is relatively little to do; few cultural amenities and relatively little nightlife. So it really depends on what you're into.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:00 AM

Does anyone have any pictures of GJ or the surrounding area?

Is UT nice? Looking at the map there doesn't seem to be much happening there near the CO border

Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 AM

P.S does anyone have pictures of GJ or the surrounding area?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,951,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
P.S does anyone have pictures of GJ or the surrounding area?
My front door:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/motoracer51/CIMG2799.jpg (broken link)

Wild horses in BLM:

View from my front yard:
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/motoracer51/CIMG1022.jpg (broken link)

Another:
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/motoracer51/CIMG1023.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-22-2008, 09:14 AM

Thank you for the pics! Looks like a lovely place to live

Is it more expensive to live there than in Longmont, Louisville, Golden, CO? We don't know whether to move to GJ or nearer Denver.

I don't want to pay over the odds for a house.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:34 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,070,364 times
I'm jealous! I'd love to move there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado