Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 AM

9 posts, read 40,244 times

Advertisements

Right now I live in South Lake Tahoe, CA and I was thinking of moving to Colorado because of the recreational and scenary simularities. I want to find a place with lots of outdoor activities, music, art, community college, and affordable rent. Plus having a friendly open minded community that's not a retirement village. It seems like everytime I look up a place that seems perfect there's so many negative comments and posts of it having high crime. Does this type of town even exist here in CO? I'm tired of living in a place that has low paying jobs and high rent with crappy homes and a low sense of culture. Please name a few towns or city's that local people really enjoy, I just want to find a good community to live in. Thanks so much for any information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 11:45 AM

39 posts, read 124,615 times
Here we go again.....

Old 10-22-2008, 11:51 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cestahoe View Post
Right now I live in South Lake Tahoe, CA and I was thinking of moving to Colorado because of the recreational and scenary simularities. I want to find a place with lots of outdoor activities, music, art, community college, and affordable rent. Plus having a friendly open minded community that's not a retirement village. It seems like everytime I look up a place that seems perfect there's so many negative comments and posts of it having high crime. Does this type of town even exist here in CO? I'm tired of living in a place that has low paying jobs and high rent with crappy homes and a low sense of culture. Please name a few towns or city's that local people really enjoy, I just want to find a good community to live in. Thanks so much for any information
Mountain towns in Colorado suffer from the same maladies as the Lake Tahoe area. Everyone wants to live there but the local economies make it difficult. The average home prices in the destination spots are jacked outrageously out of proportion in comparison to the average salaries because the towns have become millionaire playgrounds. Chances are most folks who aren't independently wealthy won't be able to afford a decent home in one of the demand cities like Aspen, Telluride, Steamboat, Breckenridge, etc. You're going to have to look out of the way (i.e. less desireable). Some place like say Craig, Delta, or even Grand Junction.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:01 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
you could live on the front range...cheaper housing and nearly the same elevation.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestahoe View Post
I was thinking of Manitou Springs, it looks like a nice town. Are there a lot of outdoor activities here? And is this an open community to gay and lesbian couples? Any information would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:09 PM

306 posts, read 1,161,682 times
My niece lives in Highland Ranch and its lovely. I would check that area out. Tahoe is a bit dead end, even though they have been dressing it up the last 15 yrs. My BIL has been a dealer at Harveys for 35 yrs. I would suggest getting out as the economy there is always iffy.

Good luck to you. I doubt that the crime anywhere is any different then Tahoe. You know to stay out of the bad areas.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:24 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,363,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearJammerOne View Post
Here we go again.....
Yay! Another 'moving to CO' thread!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
People like to dream of a more pleasant life. Let us not ambush their dreams. Have patience and realize that for many people starting these 'moving to CO' threads!, dreaming is as far as it will go. For the fortunate few, they just might find a better life in Colorado....like I did. Believe me, if I can do it ( and I did it without the forum ), others can and will do it too.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:41 PM

Can't people move around these days without someone saying "oh no not another one". We all came from somewhere else at one time, trust me I've lived in a tourist town for 10yrs I've expierenced it a lot. Get over it already, you should be happy that people find a place beautiful and desirable, stop being soo negative, not cool.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:49 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
cestahoe wrote:
Can't people move around these days without someone saying "oh no not another one".
I agree with you, but that won't stop the naysayers nor will it stop most people from living wherever they damn well choose to live. Those who are offended by the naysayers....remember the old saying, sticks and stones........blah, blah, blah

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 10-22-2008 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado