Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 PM

157 posts, read 655,148 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to install a fence around the home we're purchasing and are trying to weigh our options on what type of fence we want to install.

I am trying to avoid wood fencing at ALL costs. I don't want the maintenance of a wood fence and I really don't like the look of it to be honest.

The property is a full acre, but since we're not going to be putting any fencing in front of the house, it'll be just short of an acre that we are going to fence (we would like to fence the whole perimeter of the property (I don't have the land survey from the builder yet, but I'm guessing it'll be 600-700 linear feet that we'll be fencing).

So my first question is this...the house is in Pueblo West, north of Hwy 50, but I'm not sure where to find rules/regulations or covenants on fencing? I found information for the city of Pueblo but I don't know if it applies to P.West also? We want a 6' tall privacy fence for starters. It's my understanding that this is ok, but anything taller requires special approval and permits? Can we set the fence right on the property line? Or does it have to be so many inches/feet inside the line? I just don't want to install a fence that has to set several feet inside the property line and risk neighbors claiming that wasted space as their own in the future.

Keep in mind also that we're wanting to install this fence on our own. So, at this point, I've looked at a few options for the TYPES of fencing and have narrowed it down to either chain link fencing with privacy slats installed, or privacy vinyl fencing. OR, we had thought about a combination of both, with the chain link lining the perimeter of the property and a smaller area of vinyl fencing closer into the house so that we have a nice, very secluded area in our back yard.

I've noticed that P.W. gets a LOT of wind at times but I'm not sure if this is common year round? Will either of those fence types be appropriate for the area? I know there is a massive price difference in both but that's not as much of a concern of ours...I just want to know that whatever we choose is going to hold up with few problems in the given area.

I've already attempted to price vinyl fencing and so far the cheapest place I've found is at Home Depot for 6'x8' sections at about $92 per section. Does anyone know of anywhere else it might be cheaper? Be it online or locally? If we decide to do the whole back yard w/ vinyl, 700ft of fencing can get very expensive...(not to mention the posts, caps, etc)

Chain link on the other hand, I seem to have no idea how to price because what I've found online appears to have a dozen different pieces that factor into the price, so I don't know what I'm looking for, even on a per linear ft basis.

So, any thoughts, opinions, information or direction are greatly appreciated. Obviously the first thing is finding out rules/regs so if someone even knows where to point me to to ask about it, that would be great. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
Installed vinyl fencing for years~ you mentioned wind

vinyl fencing will flex in the wind until it snaps. if you feel you would like to put vinyl fencing up ensure you put steel inserts in the posts to stand up to the wind~ or figure on replacing it often.
As far as the cheap vinyl fencing you are looking at I do not recommend it. You are much better off getting country estates, triple crown, or some other premium brand.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:32 PM

in terms of cost then for the vinyl fencing you're referring to, what are we looking at?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Re: the rules, you'll have to find out who you should call. Try the county for starts.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:49 PM

*who* in the county office though is kind of what I was looking for?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:51 PM

11 posts, read 21,739 times
Cool re:installed

Installed vinyl fencing for years~ you mentioned wind

vinyl fencing will flex in the wind until it snaps. if you feel you would like to put vinyl fencing up ensure you put steel inserts in the posts to stand up to the wind~ or figure on replacing it often.
As far as the cheap vinyl fencing you are looking at I do not recommend it. You are much better off getting country estates, triple crown, or some other premium brand.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:59 PM

Michael, I'm not sure you meant to repeat yourself lol, but just in case you didn't see my question above to your other post

"in terms of cost then for the vinyl fencing you're referring to, what are we looking at?"

Old 10-23-2008, 11:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgirl View Post
*who* in the county office though is kind of what I was looking for?
Just call the main number and tell them you want to put up a fence. They'll route you to the right dept.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 7,572 times
Default Fence in Pueblo West......

I am sure you already have your fence? Since this thread is 4 months old...

I am in Pueblo West as well. All those materials are ok, as long as the fence is no more than 6 feet high. The governing body is the Pueblo West Metro District, specifically, the Committee of Architecture (COA). You will need a permit to install a fence.

We have about 600 linear feet to install, and are finding quotes from $15000-35000. Crazy, but that includes installation, since we are not planning to do it ourselves. The high number was for Trex fencing. Good luck to you.

Cannot get the URL to post correctly. www.pueblowestmetro.com

Last edited by Urge Cation and Respect; 02-25-2009 at 01:52 PM..

Old 04-27-2010, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,807 times
How about a stucco fence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado