Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:49 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times

Advertisements

My sinuses noticably improved when I moved from humid and moldy Virginia Beach. They improved quite a bit more when I inadvertantly discovered an enzyme called Serrapeptase (http://www.serrapeptase.info/content.asp?page=Sinusitis%20problems - broken link). I discoverd it when I was looking for a kinder gentler alternative to Ibuprophen following some recent dental work. The Serrapeptase provided no noticable relief from the toothache pain, but it cleared up my sinuses almost overnight. I've taken it regularly since then, and I've had no sinus issues. Sure beats hassling with doctors and taking drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 PM

20 posts, read 188,391 times
does it clear up bronchial irritations though? Hers is severe. She just constantly coughs and flym is always in her bronchial because something she is breathing in is always around.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:42 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
The problem with the Denver Metro area is the desire from people to make it like the lush areas they left and cannot accept the land here. We put in non-native grasses and water it to keep it artificially green. This increases the humidity, increase pollen, changes the micro-climate.

We have those obsessive compulsive blue grass addicts who not only water too much, but add fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides, herbicides and apply all that garbage above the safe limits. So in your neighborhood, you have the criminal culprit who is poisoning your air, your adjacent land; and the ground water; and the river and streams where the poisoning flow.

And you wonder why you have problems breathing and have health problems. The guilty party is the neighbor with the dark green grass with no weeds, no insects, no worms, dead squirrels and a lack of birds. You will see this person, puttering his butt around, with his sprays and fertilizers, and standing back admiring his crime.

I do not have blue grass; I do not use any chemicals in my yard; I like my weeds; I have squirrels, birds and insects all happily living around me. I have an apple tree that has worms; that is how I know the apples are safe and natural to eat and I enjoy dandeloins out of my yard. Most importantly, I do not water--what lives, lives and what does not survive with the limited water, dies.

However, I have adjacent neighbors who are poisoning everything and they complain to me about my yard but the squirrels avoid their yards; their pets die; and the children are poisoned by the lovely grass. They have to make sure to fog their yards with Chemical, Biological Warfare before their outdoor parties. In their house, they are offended by any odors and have automatic chemical air fresheners that certainly detract from their health. My house smells of cabbage, onions, garlic, basil, oregano, olive oil.

These perfect people are aghast at any spider that they see in their house, and attack viciously with their weapons of mass destruction and make sure they keep it all insect free with continous--action pesticides. What makes it disgusting is the fools love to brag how they go to the organic and natural food market and bring that expensive food back to their deadly abode.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-24-2008 at 06:50 PM..

Old 10-24-2008, 08:00 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,276 times
I am all for organic, pesticide free enviroments. I stop, completely at spider anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would release a chemical bomb just to rid my home of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:19 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
I am all for organic, pesticide free enviroments. I stop, completely at spider anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would release a chemical bomb just to rid my home of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period!!!!!!!!!!!!
Years ago, I felt the same way as you. Today, I look at spiders as natural control of other insects. Yes, their webs can be unsightly, yes, they can be frightening; and some, very rarely, are dangerous.If they are in my way, especially, in the bath, I gently lift them and bring them outside. I try to do that with all insects that I encounter in doors, even flys; I try to direct them gently out the door.

It seems in the last few decades, or so, I have been very reluctant to kill any form of live. I hate myself for the ants that I stepped on and fried with a magnify glass when I was a child. When, I see an anthill in my yard, I look and admire and leave it alone. Grasshoppers can at times be abudant but my friends, the birds, keep them in control.

In Denver, the most severe problem I have is with aggressive yellow jacks and there have been rare times when I had no other choice, but an insecticide, because of the children. If they are in an area, that I can avoid, I let them go on with their lives. Miller Moths are a yearly periodic invasion in this area; they are harmless and just migrating to the cool of the mountains from the plains. They are big and years ago I was repealed by their sight but today, I leave them alone and again, lead them out of the house, if I can.

I have no idea why I have changed, but I just try to
Livecontent

Old 10-25-2008, 10:40 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
virtualcomposer wrote:
does it clear up bronchial irritations though?
I really don't know. The best thing to do is to follow the link I gave you ( and perhaps a few more on Serrapeptase ) and do your own research. I do know that it worked exceptionally well for me. I strongly believe in giving the body a chance to heal naturally via natural means. I'm the type of person who sees doctors and drugs as a drastic measure of last resort when all else fails, thus I rarely ever go to a doctor or take a drug.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I agree with jazzlover (!) on all points. I also agree with livecontent that planting bluegrass, etc, can cause allergies to these plants. However, as jazz said, there are some strong native allergens in CO, plus some people have allergies to foods, dust mites, animals and other things that are present in all climates. Molds, however, are not generally a problem here, except in some bathrooms. We had mold growing on the bathroom ceiling, but we killed it with bleach and it hasn't grown back. You can also get pain that has anti-mildew properties, but that's probably back to the chemicals.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:44 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Long ago, doctors used to recommend people with allergies move to Phoenix, Arizona on the theory that almost no plants could survive the heat out there. (Pollens being the most common triggers for allergies). And, indeed, the desert out there was better for some people's allergies. Unfortunately, times have changed; now Phoenix, Arizona (the city and metro area) is actually thought to be particularly bad for alleriges -- it's because so many non-native plants were brought into the city that it's virtually a cocktail of pollens from all over the world, nearly guaranteed to set off allergies.

Unfortuantely, Denver is a bit like that as well. If the native plants don't get you, then the non-native ones will. at least in town. The dryness is pretty good for stopping molds, but the plants are what gets you, and you have a whole city of people planting and watering those.

One thing Denver does have going to for it, actually, is winter. We tend to have early and late frosts that normally put plants into a dormant state (though this fall has been milder than most). That means that allergy sufferers are usually pretty good from about November - March. I can always tell when the plants come out in March because I start sniffling and sneezing, and usually have a redux in September with the ragweed pollens. But, starting about this time of year I normally get some relief.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,276 times
Livecontent, you sound like my DH!
The other day, we had a Scorpion up in my lighting in the kitchen!
Anyway, he says, "it will just run around and around and eventually die! WHAT?!! I'm supposed to putter around the kitchen cooking and stuff, waiting for the scorpion to fall out on to my head?? Helloooooooooo!!!!
It got in the light, it can get out!!!
I won!!HA! He got it out and put it in a jar, then released it out back!!BRAT!
I can hang with snakes, mice, lizards,bats, etc. But I say NOOOOOOO to scorpions and spiders!!
Now, I warned him when we were dating, I said, "If I see a spider and ask you to kill it, and you think you can't, leave now or, I will hold it against you forever!!" It is far cheaper to kill that spider for me, than to pay for the emergency room visit because your wife went into shock!LOL!!
As far as ants, well, I think all those stupid fireants that have scarred my feet and legs from my time in Florida, need to die and, I can see absolutely NO reason for them living!
Less mold in Colorado (thought I'd add something from the OP's topic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: