Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 PM

13 posts, read 19,779 times

Advertisements

How are the drives in Pueblo? Looking to relocate in about four years (if not sooner)

Live in Nashville, TN area and people can't even drive in dry/clear weather let alone bad weather in this area. I drive in all weather, work in computer room and go in no matter what the weather, snow, ice, tornado or flood.

Been totaled twice in a ten year period. Both other drivers fault. First time t-boned (combined speed of 100 mph) and second time rear ended (other driver's speed 70 mph) and both in dry/clear weather.

The bad thing is can't sue anyone for casualty damages in TN; only medical. Did not receive seriously injuries from either accident, let's just say can take my hits. Mostly suffer from post stress syndrome now.

Yes, now how a used 'new' Jeep Cherokee so I will not lose anymore money!

Thanks for any information/experiences can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 01:39 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,442,251 times
Default Drivers in Pueblo

Thanks for posting here on City-Data and more specifically, down here in Pueblo.

I'm one of those drivers, so I'll give it a shot. I don't tailgate. I try to use extreme caution while driving through intersections. I don't run red lights.

I'd say the most dangerous areas in Pueblo are Hwy 50 that runs across the north section of town, Pueblo Blvd, etc. because you've got the highest speed and quite a few stop lights across those sections.

I used to drive commercially, so we did monthly trainings and were required to take monthly DOT tests and one thing we learned from that is the process of "clearing your intersections". This is where you identify the light at the intersection you are approaching and determine if it's red, green, or "Stale" green. If it's stale green, that just means you didn't see it turn green and don't know when it's going to switch to yellow. Also, as you go through the intersection, you're looking at the cross streets perpendicular to you and if you can't see traffic due to a building, tree, etc., you're proceeding through the intersection with the anticipation that someone may come across and run the light and you'll need to react. You should also slow down a bit through the intersection; the speed can be 10 mph slower than prior to the intersection. The worst thing you can do in an intersection is speed up to beat a yellow. The second worse thing you can do (worse thing for your own personal health) is to jackrabbit through an intersection as soon as it turns green without clearing your sidestreets. What happens if an 18 wheeler is running that light and you're in his path?

Pueblo is no Denver, but it's growing rapidly and you just don't know. I-25 runs through the town and there's a lot of bridges along it through town. The town is about 10 miles long from south to north and in the winter, it's dangerous. I've seen people going too fast approaching the big bridge between the Abriendo section of I-25 to the 1st Ave exit when there was no sign of snow or black ice, but the mag choride caused this car to start fishtailing while she was driving about 65. The speed limit through that section is 50. She's lucky there was no traffic behind her but me and I was able to slow way down and watched her almost hit the gaurd rails on both sides before she stopped sideways on the Interstate. She managed to pull over and she was ok.

In Colorado, people tend to go too fast in the snow, especially during the first couple of storms. Then after they go slip-slidin' away, they slow down a bit. We don't get pounded with snow regularly in Pueblo, but you never know. The best advice in snow is obvious, slow the heck down and keep your car in good shape, good tires, windows clean, and I prefer FWD and 4WD is great as long as you don't drive too fast. Some people like AWD vehicles, but I've heard good and bad. I've heard some people say they like RWD over FWD, but... I can drive RWD if I have to. I don't like RWD if I'm driving up steep hills or having to do a lot of stop and go.

I'm sorry about your prior luck with getting t-boned and rear-ended like that. You're lucky you're still alive. May I recommend a safe vehicle for you out here?

Just kidding! I wish you a smooth transition and welcome to Colorado whenever that may be.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:08 PM

13 posts, read 19,779 times
Default Reply to McGowdog

Thanks, my oldest brother was a commercial driver so know where you are coming from. Feel for commercial driver's around here. Drivers cut in front of them and tailgate them.

Pretty much do all those checks you do (everyone says I drive like grandma and I'm proud of it too). People just do not pay attention and think they own the road here in Nashville, TN area. My t-bone she ran the red light from a stopped position at that and rear end he was playing with his radio not looking at the highway. We have a lot of people from California and Florida here now and they have never had to drive in ice/snow. I just stay back like you do and let them slip,slide and spin out. Then inch around them. Have a lot of hills/dips in roadways around here. With my schedule out before the salt trucks/plows which helps to get home maniacs get out to play.

Glad to know where the 'danger' roadways are now. In a few years when you see someone poking through the bad weather that will be me, feel free to honk! Probably just keep the Jeep for the bad weather.

Would love the vehicle pictured, maybe buy one when get to Pueblo, lol.

Probably will be on thread again before visit next year. In other words, I'll get a map and mark it with the info given!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: