Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 09:45 PM

5 posts, read 14,351 times

Advertisements

Well, let me start off by sayin I am totally new to this site and I am very sorry if this question gets asked alot.
I am 23, my husband 22 and we have a 13 month old son. We are debating whether or not to move to colorado. We are both ready for a change. We live in a small town in central missouri, I am currently a stay at home mom and my husband works in Wy on an oil rig and would like to get a little bit closer for him to drive. I have looked a little at Pueblo, but online only, and would like some opinions and also suggestions on other places. We aren't really interested in living in town. Idealy a place with a few acres and a place we could "get the most bang for our buck" Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by J-Tol; 12-01-2008 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Tol View Post
Well, let me start off by sayin I am totally new to this site and I am very sorry if this question gets asked alot.
I am 23, my husband 22 and we have a 13 month old son. We are debating whether or not to move to colorado. We are both ready for a change. We live in a small town in central missouri, I am currently a stay at home mom and my husband works in Wy on an oil rig and would like to get a little bit closer for him to drive. I have looked a little at Pueblo, but online only, and would like some opinions and also suggestions on other places. We aren't really interested in living in town. Idealy a place with a few acres and a place we could "get the most bang for our buck" Any information would be greatly appreciated!
How about Northern Colorado? You could probably get some acreage up north of Fort Collins. Prices of land land drop pretty dramatically once you get about 10 miles north of Fort Collins because you're then out of commute distance to Metro Denver. You would also be much closer to the Wyoming border from Pueblo. And, Fort Collins is a very pleasant town when you need to go to town.

As for Pueblo, it is a nice place to live, and has the advantage very affordable property and a mild climate (if a bit toasty in summer). It's also one of the few truly blue collar cities on the front range (historically, it was a steel mill town) -- that might be a good thing from your perspective, or bad, but it's part of the culture there. It is, however, going to very far from Wyoming compared to northern colorado -- about 3 hours to the WY/CO border, so it wouldn't IMO be an obvious place to choose if you're trying to be close to Wyoming.

I'd also encourage you to look in Wyoming itself, because it is a very uncrowded state; certainly it's much less crowded than Colorado. The capital largest city (Cheyenne) is very small-town by Colorado standards; Pueblo is twice the size of Cheyenne (or more)! In addition to lack of crowds, mountain scenery is certainly no less impressive in Wyoming, and you will likely save thousands of dollars every year in taxes (no state income tax, lower sales taxes, lower gasoline taxes, lower property taxes, etc), and acreage is much cheaper.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:10 PM

5 posts, read 14,351 times
Thank you tFox. We've driven through Ft. Collins before and did like it. Any place in Colorado would be closer for him to go to work (already drives 18+ hours) I just don't know much about Colorado at all and your information has helped alot already. Thank You!

My Husband works around Marbleton , but of course the rig moves around and isn't garenteed to stay in that area. We don't want to get too far north so southern Wy maybe....My husband mentioned Colorado and had asked for me to look at places and ones with the lowest cost of living. But with what you mentioned Wy might be a better place to look. And it makes alot of sense. Again Thank you so much and if you have any more suggestions on Wy they would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:34 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Tol View Post
Thank you tFox. We've driven through Ft. Collins before and did like it. Any place in Colorado would be closer for him to go to work (already drives 18+ hours) I just don't know much about Colorado at all and your information has helped alot already. Thank You!

My Husband works around Marbleton , but of course the rig moves around and isn't garenteed to stay in that area. We don't want to get too far north so southern Wy maybe....My husband mentioned Colorado and had asked for me to look at places and ones with the lowest cost of living. But with what you mentioned Wy might be a better place to look. And it makes alot of sense. Again Thank you so much and if you have any more suggestions on Wy they would be greatly appreciated!!
I suggest you post in the Wyoming forum for info on Wyoming. The Wyoming people probably know more about Colorado than we Coloradans know about Wyoming -- most Wyoming people cross the border into Colorado quite frequently.

As your husband probably already knows, one disadvantage of living in Wyoming is that it has a rather harsh and windy climate -- in comparison the front range of colorado is milder. However, in Colorado you have to deal with crowds and likely a somewhat higher cost of living.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,276 times
Greeley??

Old 12-08-2008, 12:13 AM

387 posts, read 677,853 times
I assume this isn't a commute you make daily, but the issue with Pueblo will be that driving to Wyoming will involve driving through Colorado Springs and Denver traffic, which can be heavy all the way through Fort Collins. Even off-peak I-25 can be stressful and congested. I would look north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado