Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 10:41 PM

4 posts, read 34,675 times

Advertisements

I've browsed through most of the threads, and haven't seen too much on how Craigslist has worked for people?

I'm wanting to move to Colorado and don't know very many people there. I've been shopping for rentals properties/apartments on Craigslist. I'm young and I'll admit, probably naive, and want to make sure I don't make a mistake or get a fraud with craigslist.

Has anyone had problems? What should I be on the look-out for? Or if you've just had good luck, I'd like to know too!

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 11:30 PM

68 posts, read 363,485 times
Watch out for people that are too eager to help you...and NEVER meet anyone alone....there a serious amount of scams on craigslist.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
A girl (actually young woman) in Minnesota was murdered when she answered an ad on craigslist for a nanny job. She met the person alone. This happened about 2 months ago.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:58 AM

47 posts, read 47,108 times
Ok, don't get into this hype. Yes bad things could happen on craigslist or any interent site. However, If you are talking about renting, Craigslist is great for deals. I used in in three cities and it works great. When I lived in Denver I needed a month to month. I found many people that I met with that showed me apartments all around capitol hill and uptown. I never had a problem. You can get great deals on apartments on craigslist. It is a internet classified section.

Yes there may be a guy in there using it for scams, but that could happen in a old school newspaper classified add too.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
A girl (actually young woman) in Minnesota was murdered when she answered an ad on craigslist for a nanny job. She met the person alone. This happened about 2 months ago.
I guess it would be good to go visit with another per.son One reason is for the obvious safety. The other is the relaxation factor. With someone there with you there is less face to face pressure like when there is a possible negotiation.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunGirlCO View Post
Watch out for people that are too eager to help you...and NEVER meet anyone alone....there a serious amount of scams on craigslist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhead View Post
Ok, don't get into this hype. Yes bad things could happen on craigslist or any interent site. However, If you are talking about renting, Craigslist is great for deals. I used in in three cities and it works great. When I lived in Denver I needed a month to month. I found many people that I met with that showed me apartments all around capitol hill and uptown. I never had a problem. You can get great deals on apartments on craigslist. It is a internet classified section.

Yes there may be a guy in there using it for scams, but that could happen in a old school newspaper classified add too.
My response was in answer to this post about scams. The young woman (who was a distant friend of my daughter's) met someone alone about a nanny job. She was killed and placed in the trunk of a car. Yes, it could have happened in response to any kind of ad. But it happened. It is good advice not to meet someone alone.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:28 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,206,150 times
I found my place in Denver with CL...great find! Worked out really well!

Old 12-25-2007, 10:18 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I found my place in Denver with CL...great find! Worked out really well!
Me too! I love our place, but also, I did not go alone to look at our future home. I think that is just common sense nowadays (unfortunately)

Old 01-02-2008, 12:48 PM

75 posts, read 290,830 times
I started using craiglist to sell stuff while living in Northern VA outside of washington DC. Most of the time, I would meet interested parties in a parking lot of a bestbuy or some other heavily traffic'd area. I did have people come to my home to purchase things as well. I used craigslist to find our last two rentals here in Socal.

I have had Zero issues with craigslist in terms of safety.

I will also say that some markets are better than others from a user experience. For instance, DC craigslist was heavily used for everything while Philly's craigslist is never used. San Diego is ok, but not as great.

Like most have said, if you feel something shady, walk away from it or dont respond. Also, bringing a companion is a good idea.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:58 PM

57 posts, read 261,829 times
Default Craigslist for Rentals?

Living in the Balt-Washington D.C. Metro area, Craigslist is the best rental source. Is it as commonly used in Denver/Boulder/Ft. Collins/Colorado Springs area? Is it a reliable source for finding a house to rent? Any other suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado