Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 01:58 PM

56 posts, read 222,955 times

Advertisements

Ques about the commute:
- How long is the commute from Bayfield to Durango. In case my husband finds a job in Durango, but we're looking at Bayfield to live (cheaper).
- How bad is the traffic. We're used to Albuquerque traffic, which is getting really bad.
-Are the roads bad in the winter? Do they close the highway? They do here in ABQ (canyon).
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 03:24 PM

157 posts, read 651,881 times
Hey bigglynals,

the commute is about 20 mins. It can be pretty full of traffic (at rush hours in particular), and is probably the most hectic commute in the area. That being said, if you are used to ABQ traffic, this might not really be so bad. The difference is that there are really only two routes from Bayfield to Dgo, not multiple options. One route is a two lane and the other is a combo. of two and four lanes which has been improved lots in the last few years with more development to come. The Three Springs subdivision being started between Durango and Bayfield will likely add even more traffic in the next few years on the 2/4-lane highway. But, as a result of the planned growth, the highway is already being improved to meet future needs better. In winter, especially in AM, roads can be treacherous and commute times will be longer. However, road crews (snow plows) here are usually great and they are out there clearing snow as soon as it starts falling. Usually, snow is gone from roads no later than mid-morning. Hope this helps!

Old 12-15-2006, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 26,530 times
does anyone have any info on the 3 springs developement. i heard they are building 2700 homes there. has construction started on this and what is there build out timeframe.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:13 AM

Thanks dgoboy. That really did help. Im also REALLY INTERESTED in the [b]3 SPRINGS DEVELOPMENT[b]. My husband & I are looking to move to Durango (from ABQ) this spring. We're tired of the angry people here in ABQ & all the crime. We need to find a small, down-to-earth town that actually has green trees & grass. growing. My husband is a Physical Therapist & we're worried the job market isnt good out there.
* What other affordable communities are there that surround Durango? House price range in the $200k-$275k?
* Anyone else have info on the 3 Springs area?

Old 12-15-2006, 04:15 PM

157 posts, read 651,881 times
Hey bigglynals,

just some ideas. You might also check out Mancos, about 30 mins to the west and Cortez about 45 mins to the west. Both are smaller towns with their own distinct feels - Mancos is mountaiiny, while Cortez is a little more desert. Prices likely to be cheaper in both places than in Dgo. Pagosa Springs is about 1 hr. to the east, but is kinda expensive like Dgo. Ignacio also to the east about 45 mins. In northern NM, you have Aztec (45mins) and Farmington (bigger 1hr. away). Other subdivisions/areas around DGo include - Durango West I & II, Hermosa, Hesperus.

Physical therapy - National Geographic and Outside magazines are just two who have written up Dgo as great outdoor/active living -- physical therapists can be in high demand. There are already numerous here, but if Dgo keeps growing as planned, we will continue needing more. Good luck.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:06 AM

476 posts, read 2,319,118 times
Dgoboy204 said it right. That area is growing a lot, I was just over there yesterday driving around. You should do good since they have lots of bikers, hikers, climbers, and so forth. I read where there is a shortage of doctors there too because of all the newcomers and retirees too. I wish I knew prices on homes. My friend from Durango kinda told me that the houses in the city and within about 5 miles around Durango are all costly since everyone wants to be near the vibrant downtown. The cheaper areas would be out toward Bayfield and Mancos. You have to drive over Hesperus hill though to Mancos and it gets more snow up at Hesperus, although gorgeous area and if you got a 4WD might be a good choice. I liked up Junction Creek and Lightner Creek too but my friend said those areas are pretty much just for rich people unless you can find an apartment to rent there. Also like Edgemont Ranch. Lots of trees. I dont know costs, sorry but you might write that name down as well as Dalton Ranch which has a pretty golf course. Skyridge up near Fort Lewis has tons of homes but it is really large development and homes are really close together. Some may like that. I kinda like more privacy myself. Call me old fashioned but I like a backyard to enjoy some privacy unwinding from a busy week, but if you dont want any upkeep on a yard, Skyridge would be good. So many areas, I wish I could name them all. I think only a realtor who has lived there a long time from the area could really answer you, I just dont know how anyone could know all of them and it overwhelmed me.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:09 PM

Wow, great info. I will check all of those out. We'll be up there soon to check all of these neighborhoods out.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:34 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
When looking into any new development in that area, be sure to find out about the infrastructure. Bayfield was having a heck of a time a few years ago because the wastewater treatment plant couldn't handle the capacity required with all the new growth.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:41 PM

54 posts, read 302,165 times
Default dgoboy204 reply

"You might also check out Mancos, about 30 mins to the west and Cortez about 45 mins to the west. Both are smaller towns with their own distinct feels - Mancos is mountaiiny, while Cortez is a little more desert. Prices likely to be cheaper in both places than in Dgo."

Hi dgoboy204, that was great info., I was going to ask if you would or could tell us a little bit more about Mancos and Cortez? I am trying to narrow down a location in Colorado and Mancos sounded interesting... If someone is looking for a city with say less than 100K in population, more affordable homes around $250K range with say 1 acre of land and a great view of trees and less flatness, would you suggest Mancos? Can you think of any other cities that match this description in Colorado? I know everywhere is beautiful there but I was trying to narrow down the search a little bit. Thanks so much!!!

Old 12-18-2006, 09:26 PM

I second that question. That sounds like what we're looking for. After reading the info from duster1979, that scares me about Bayfield; we were really looking there for houses/jobs. Yikes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado