Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:17 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
California people are more then welcome to come to Pueblo,
I know a number of Pueblans who would not agree with that . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 08:53 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,716,521 times
There are lots of nice smalller towns in Colorado but you won't find access to amenities like California unless you are in one of the very few cities or suburbs. Pueblo is a nice place, and a relatively decent drive to the interesting city of C. Springs and a longer drive to Albuquerque, Sante Fe, and the Colorado mountains, but it does not have the geographic beauty people expect and equate with places like Evergreen. I lived outside of Evergreen for nine years and think it is overrated simply because the beauty of sitting in your house among the pines is spoiled whenever you have to get into a car--which is often.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I know a number of Pueblans who would not agree with that . . .
I know a number of Pueblans who would agree! It would be nice if we could get past this "lock the doors" mentality, also the mentality that ALL Californians, all 36 million of them are the same and interested in ruining Colorado.

To the OP: There are not a lot of "small towns" in Colorado other than the ski resort towns. Most Coloradans live and work along the Front Range, that is, Ft. Collins to Pueblo. There are mountain communities to the west of those towns (Evergreen [suburban Denver], mentioned by you; Woodland Park [suburban COS], brought up by another poster; Nederland [suburban Boulder, with a "hippie" flair]; some I can't think of off the top of my head that are suburban Ft. Collins/Loveland. Other options not on the eastern plains are Canon City, Grand Junction, the ski towns and probably some others that escape my mind at the moment.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Katiana wrote:
It would be nice if we could get past this "lock the doors" mentality,
I agree 100%! It's not gonna happen however, because a few posters on this forum refuse to grow up. Apparently they have a big chunk of their identity invested in being unfriendly and unwelcoming to anyone who looks at the world in a different way than they do. This is magical thinking at it's finest...My nasty, unfriendly attitude will intimidate those dreaded outsiders ( especially Californians ) and keep them out of Colorado, so I can romanticize about the good old days in peace.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Katiana wrote:
It would be nice if we could get past this "lock the doors" mentality,
I agree 100%! It's not gonna happen however, because a few posters on this forum refuse to grow up. Apparently they have a big chunk of their identity invested in being unfriendly and unwelcoming to anyone who looks at the world in a different way than they do. This is magical thinking at it's finest...My nasty, unfriendly attitude will intimidate those dreaded outsiders ( especially Californians ) and keep them out of Colorado, so I can romanticize about the good old days in peace.
I disagree 100% I want Pueblo to grow. I think the perfect size of a metro area is between 300,000 and 600,000 people, if planed out right of course. Then it is big enough to where you always have things to do but so big that its difficult to get around.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:22 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
To Josseppie: There are umpteen places that have 300,000-600,000 people already all over the US. By all means, move to one of them if that is what you want.

To the other "pro-Colorado population growth" types on the forum:

I am flat sick of people--especially the newbies--defending population growth in Colorado like it is all positive and wonderful--it is NOT! Materially, the "quality of life" in Colorado may be better today than it was--say 30 or 40 years ago, but in just about every other way the quality of life is worse. More sprawl, more traffic, more pollution, more crime; less open space, less solitude, less agriculture, less affordability. About the time I was in high school the population of Colorado topped 2.2 million--which was just plenty. It's around 5 million now. Worse yet, most of that additonal population lives in the most overconsumptive, wasteful, and environmentally destructive manner possible--so, the impacts are magnified. It is a disgrace. Unfortunately, most of today's Coloradans either a) weren't even born yet when the state really was a great place to live, so there is no way for them to know what has been lost; b) they just moved here recently, so they don't know what has been lost--and they surely don't want to hear that they have been part of the destruction; or c) they have a vested personal interest (by their career choice or business acitivity) in perpetrating the destruction for their own financial gain.

Time and again, I get told on this forum that this kind of growth (and I like the term coined by others for it: STUPID GROWTH) is "inevitable" and that I should just butt out and get over it. To some extent maybe some growth is inevitable, but that does not mean that I have to like it, embrace it, or in any way condone it. I can't, I won't, and I haven't. And I don't intend to stay quiet about it, either.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:34 AM

Jazzlover

There are a lot of great places in this country, and in Colorado, that are small are not growing move there if that's the kind of city you prefer.

The Front Range urban Corridor (from Pueblo to Fort Collins) was meant to be a growth corridor by its founders way before you and I were born and today we are just continuing what they started.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:16 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The Front Range urban Corridor (from Pueblo to Fort Collins) was meant to be a growth corridor by its founders way before you and I were born and today we are just continuing what they started.
Not in this economy, thankfully...one upside to all the downside of the recession will be the departure of many Pigmen and their minions.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:18 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Not in this economy, thankfully...one upside to all the downside of the recession will be the departure of many Pigmen and their minions.
Huh?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. The great depression was much worse then our economy is now and even during those hard times places like Pueblo was focused on growth.

In fact that is when Pueblo leaders started a college at the county building that would eventually branch off to become Pueblo Community College and Colorado State University - Pueblo! CSU - Pueblo is now the fastest growing university in the state and PCC has campuses from Pueblo to Durango. Shows that even during the hardest times people were forward thinking in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado