Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:10 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times

Advertisements

They should rename this thread Colorado Springs and Pueblo threrad since both cities are in the same region and would generate more traffic on it....

Old 12-27-2008, 04:32 PM

Some info on Pueblo that I posted on another site:

1. Pueblo Springs Ranch - That was the an old ranch that extends from just north of the city of pueblo to the El Paso County line, about 24,000 acers. A Las Vegas development company bought it and it is currently being annexed in the city. When done it will be one of the largest planned comminutes in the country and will have the largest tech park in the state, the Pueblo Springs Tech park located by exit 110. According to CU Boulder that one development alone will have 74,000 housing units or 200,000 people when built out.

2. There is a new industrial park south of town that was designed for large industrial companies. Our first one is the Vesta's wind turbine plant that when completed will be the largest of its kind in the world. The Colorado Springs gazette reported that the Springs did not have that kind of capability that pueblo has to attract large industries.

3. The Colorado Energy Park - This is a new renewable energy park being developed east of Pueblo by AEHI. It will be 21,000 acers and have different kinds of energy plants as well as major industries that need to be by power sources. It will be the largest of its kind in America.

4. downtown - Pueblo's downtown remains the states second largest and due to the riverwalk, convention center much is going on. High rises are being planned that will be over 20 stories, the grand gardens project is still on track and will have retail space, condos, hotels, movie theater, and parking garages. They are always building condos. I suspect that downtown Pueblo will resemble Denver's by 2020.

5. CSU-Pueblo - It is currently the fastest growing university in the state. Football has returned in a brand new stadium and many of the building are getting a face lift as well as new buildings planned, currently 3 new dorms are either being built or planned.

Giving all that is going on I believe that the next 11 years, now till the 2020 census, will be pueblo's decade

Old 12-27-2008, 06:01 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
I disagree because Pueblo is not Colorado Springs and they should stop piggybacking on and mooching off of CoSprings for things they should be doing on their own; aka news and weather and traffic reports!

The Denver Metro area is big enough to warrant their own subforum, as well as Colorado Springs.

Pueblo, as well as Grand Junction may one day get their own sub forums like Boulder, Ft Collins, etc.. This is what I hope to see. Until that day, this post belongs in the Colorado subforum, not the Colorado Springs forum. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but El Paso County is about 6 times the size of Pueblo county and probably about 5 times the size in population as all of SE Colorado.

The good folks to our north don't care about Pueblo because they don't live here. I doubt they want to have to sort through all these posts to get to their own.

The way I figure it, I have three choices; Denver, Colorado Springs, or Colorado. I don't post in Boulder much and I rarely post in Fort Collins.

I appreciate your efforts on growing the Pueblo sub-forum, but I'd rather you were requesting Pueblo to have its own subforum. I'd get on board with that. I've been here for over 2 years now and I've been pushing that since I got here. Either way, City-Data is the best and all others aren't even blips on the radar screen.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:48 AM

I completely disagree with you Pueblo - Colorado Springs are a much smaller version of Dallas - Fort Worth. We are connected economically and socially now and will be for as long as the cities exist, rather we like it or not. In fact more growth is planned for Pueblo, due to our location, then the Springs!

You said this "I disagree because Pueblo is not Colorado Springs and they should stop piggybacking on and mooching off of CoSprings for things they should be doing on their own; aka news and weather and traffic reports!"

That means that your main example is the news? Well the number one station in the region is channel 5, KOAA. Any idea where their main office is located? Apparently not since you said Pueblo piggy backs and mooches of the Springs. Let me tell you, their main office is in Pueblo and they broadcast the news from Pueblo. They just have a news office in the Springs. As far as KKTV and KRDO, yes their main office is in the Springs but they have major news offices here and both consider Pueblo a growing market and each are trying to get some of KOAA's market share as we grow. KOAA is by far the most influential station out side of Denver in Colorado and arguably as influential as any Denver station! Here is what wikepodia says about KOAA:

KOAA-TV is the NBC affiliate for southern Colorado. It is licensed to Pueblo, and broadcasts on channel 5. It also operates a translator, K30AA channel 30, in Colorado Springs. The station has staff and offices in both Pueblo and Colorado Springs. Its news studio is located in Pueblo.

As far as news papers, the Pueblo chieftain has a larger circulation then the gazette, reaching all 16 counties in southern Colorado.

Having one room just makes the most sense so we can start to act like the one region we are.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:19 AM

Mc Gowdog,

Even Colorado Springs largest news paper, the gazette, considers us to be one region. Here is what they said it a editorial about the SDS. I decided to post the whole article, from December 10 2008, so no one thinks I took it out of context. I highlighted the parts important to our discussion.

This column, a champion of rugged individualism, isn't a touchy-feely, kind and cuddly place to be. Seldom does it suggest holding hands, singing "Kumbaya," and chanting "can't we all just get along?" Today, it does just that. So jump in, cozy up, and think kind thoughts about Pueblo, that crown jewel on the Arkansas River. It's time for the citizens and servants of Colorado Springs and Pueblo to come together, hold hands and decide how to move forward with the Southern Delivery System, a water pipeline that will benefit both great cities and the region they co-anchor.
In the unlikely event Pueblo County officials try to block the project, Pueblo and Colorado Springs both lose. Pueblo loses control, and the Springs loses its best and most affordable option for transporting its Arkansas River water shares. So let's get real, assess the costs and move forward with a plan that's based more in reason than emotional, needless rivalry politics.
In a recent meeting with The Gazette's editorial board, United States Sen. Ken Salazar - who represents all Colorado communities - expressed his desire to see an end to the traditional hostilities that divide Colorado Springs and Pueblo. He didn't sing "Kumbaya," but one could almost hear the faint melody as he explained his impassioned desire to help end a ridiculous rivalry that hurts both towns. Resolving that conflict involves building the Southern Delivery System, a project the senator supports.
Gazette: "Do you support Colorado Springs building the Southern Delivery System, and going forth with the preferred plan of Colorado Springs Utilities, which involves obtaining water from Pueblo Reservoir?"
Salazar: "If we can get the Fountain Creek issues resolved - if we can get Fountain Creek restored and deal with the flooding issue - then the answer is yes."
Before construction commences on the $1.1 billion underground pipeline, Colorado Springs officials must convince Pueblo County commissioners to approve a 1041 land-use permit. That means the commissioners are positioned to bargain for some of the resolutions Salazar mentioned. They possess a permit that Colorado Springs wants. The permit has value, but not unlimited value.
Pueblo County, after all, isn't the only viable option for transporting water. If Pueblo County gives Colorado Springs no reasonable options, the city can take its pipeline inlet upstream and bypass Pueblo County entirely. That wouldn't bode well for Pueblo. An upstream project means Pueblo officials have no leverage to ask for much of anything.
Colorado Springs officials would have no reason to agree to minimum stream flows through Pueblo, and Pueblo would have little say in what gets done with Fountain Creek, which carries Colorado Springs' treated wastewater.
So why doesn't Colorado Springs take its pipeline upstream from the get-go, and stop all the monkey business with Pueblo County? It's a money thing. As a consultant for Pueblo County said Monday, the upstream option could cost something like $150 million more than the reservoir option. That's a nice chunk of change in financially troubled times.
The disparity in cost between Plan A and Plan B gives everyone incentive worth roughly $150 million to take Rodney King's advice, to just get along, and resolve the dispute.
Pueblo County commissioners know they can create some expensive dilemmas for Colorado Springs Utilities, in the form of special amenities and promises, so long as they don't get too outlandish. The closer the price tag on those demands marches toward $150 million, the more attractive an upstream alternative becomes. Likewise, Colorado Springs leaders know that a 1041 permit won't come free. Pueblo County is nicely positioned to make multiple reasonable demands, and a few that may not seem so reasonable.
We can sing "Kumbaya" at a public hearing for the project at 6 p.m. tonight, at the Sangre de Cristo Arts and Conference Center, 210 N. Santa Fe, in Pueblo. At this hearing, consider the cold hard facts. Pueblo County can't afford to deny Colorado Springs a permit. And Colorado Springs has a financial incentive to deal. One way or another, the Southern Delivery System will get built. It's important to the future vitality of Colorado Springs, which means it's important to Pueblo - one of the West's greatest, most up-and-coming cities. Let's work together, egos and emotion aside, to get this pipeline built through Pueblo County.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:37 AM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Any idea where their main office is located?
Yeah, I do have an idea of where the main office is! In Pueblo! Big flippin' whoop!

A real Dallas Fort Worth Megalopolis Pueblo and Springs is between exits 104 and 135! Wow! Pretty soon, we'll have our own professional football team! We can gather the troops in Eden, Bragdon, Pinon, Wigwam!, Buttes, Fountain! Wow! Watch out Broncos!

I get star-struck everytime my wife and I go to the Tea Palace or the Tea Garden in Pueblo West and see our very own Georgianne Snuffleuppagus! (pardon the spelling)

So, when I'm driving from my home in Pueblo West to my work in the southern most section of Pueblo County which is Colorado City, and I turn on the radio stations to get the local Pueblo news, weather and traffic, which station do I turn to? When I go to the Chieftain dot com web site for breaking daily news, which section do I frequent?

You are a visionary! I like that! Now I have another poster who I can argue with on here! It's hard to argue when you're a lone wolf!

Quote:
In fact more growth is planned for Pueblo, due to our location, then the Springs!
I'm gonna go inverse Wayne Dyer on you and say, "I'll believe it when I see it!"

Quote:
It is licensed to Pueblo, and broadcasts on channel 5.
That's wonderful! Where do you think the majority of news material comes from? Pueblo or Colorado Springs/El Paso County? If it weren't for the State Fair and an occasional bar knifing, Pueblo wouldn't have much coverage at all! I've lived most of my Colorado life dating back to the summer of 1977 in Pueblo County. I've seen the News before; be it channel 5, or 11, or 13.

As far as that rag you're talking about, the Pueblo Chieftain, wow! That's one whopper of a paper there! The Lamar weekly or the Cheyenne Wells Ledger is beefier than that rag! The Pueblo sports community is too stupid to recognize that Rye High School is a Pueblo County District 70 school and every bit a part of the Pueblo community as Pueblo County and Pueblo West! I went to high school with the sheriff. And guess which high school Mr. Kirk Taylor went to? His mom was my Freshman English teacher too.

Good old Pueblo/Colorado Springs! Wow! Right now, I think all of the Pueblo posters could form a marching band! Prior to you, we could form the "PERIOD"! But now, with you, we can form the "COMMA"!

Quote:
So jump in, cozy up, and think kind thoughts about Pueblo, that crown jewel on the Arkansas River. It's time for the citizens and servants of Colorado Springs and Pueblo to come together, hold hands and decide how to move...
Oh, don't even go there again with the water! They want our (all of south eastern and Kansas for that matter) fresh water for their urban sprawl. Like I said before, send the people where the water is, not the water where the people are. And guess where that is? Along the Mississippi!

Last edited by McGowdog; 12-28-2008 at 03:45 AM..

Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 AM

268 posts, read 1,129,997 times
I went to Pueblo once for the state fair and wasn't really impressed. Other than that, I've only passed by on 25. It may seem like Pueblo is attached at the hip to the Springs if you live in Pueblo, but not so in the Springs.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:47 AM

I never said the Pueblo - Colorado Springs metro would be the same size as Dallas - Fort Worth metro, nor would I want us to be, I was just using them as a example. Wayne agrees, here is his quote:

Eeyore : It will be interesting to see how our region developers over the next 50 years. I see us as a emerging metropolitan area like Dallas/ Fort Worth, just no one knows what city will be the Dallas or the Fort Worth. I think that is why you see so much fighting between our cities, each city wants to be the principal city in a two city metro area.

Wayne: I agree with all of your last points, especially the observation that the Springs and Pueblo will someday be similar to Dallas-Fort Worth. And yes, it's up in the air as to which city will dominate. Remember that Minneapolis was once much smaller than St. Paul. That's an interesting setting to this day. Minneapolis dwarfs St. Paul, but lots of St. Paul residents consider their smaller city more cosmopolitan. In St. Paul, they like to call Minneapolis their largest suburb. -- Wayne

No matter what city becomes the principal city both will be important to our region, also, if you look at the whole metro area it goes from Hatchet Ranch (south of Pueblo) to Monument, that's about double the area you have said.

Given the fact that the Springs can not attract industries, all I see in the news lately is how the Springs loses primary employers or do not even have the capability to attract heavy industries, while Pueblo does its only a matter of time before we catch up. Here is a quote from the Gazette about why the Springs can not attract the kind of industries Pueblo can when Pueblo got the Vestas turbine plant, the largest of its kind in the world:

"Even though it would have been nice to attract this company (Vestas) into our region, the reality is we just don't have any rail sites. We don't have the kind of heavy industrial capabilities the city of Pueblo has," White said. "It's really a win for southern Colorado. Not everyone who works at this plant will live in Pueblo."

While there is land available in Colorado Springs along rail lines, the lines are dedicated to coal transportation"

Plus there is the proposed Colorado Energy Park, which the gazette supports, and that could mean 20,000 jobs or more. My point is we are all one region and should start acting like one, as the Gazette says a strong Pueblo makes for a stronger Springs and a strong Springs makes for a stronger Pueblo.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:14 AM

Who moved this thread and why? I did not brake any rules by opening this thread! I would like a explanation.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:01 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
They should rename this thread Colorado Springs and Pueblo threrad since both cities are in the same region and would generate more traffic on it....

There's a C-D terminology issue with this post. What you referred to as a thread is really a sub forum, the COLO SPGS sub forum. The owner of the site does not wish to include Pueblo - Canon City in the COLO SPGS sub forum.

Numerically, when enough postings on Pueblo, Canon City, et al, materialize on C-D, the owner will set up a sub forum for them. It's a sort of "critical mass" issue. Sub forums are allocated based on how many threads there are for that topic, with a minor issue of who will volunteer to moderate the new sub forum. All mods are unpaid volunteers.

Until then, keep posting good stuff, photo threads, etc, on Pueblo, Canon City, et al, in the main CO forum and eventually a new sub will have to appear in order to keep the knowledge on those towns in one place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado