Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 07:20 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times

Advertisements

Ever since I read the editorial in the Gazette about how Pueblo and Colorado Springs need to work together to make us a stronger region I have been re-evaluating my jealously over the Springs. Admittedly it will take me time but I think I need to move passed the contempt I had for the Springs in the 1980's when they grew and Pueblo did not and realize that in order for Pueblo to be a strong city Colorado Springs needs to be a strong city as well. Maybe Pueblo will never pass it up population wise and that is ok as we will always be a co-anchor to the region and Pueblo will have more prestige if the region has two strong cities.

P.S. I am still going to hope that Pueblo does pass the Springs up in population some day but not because the Springs losses people but because Pueblo just grows faster. I know this is proof that I have a ways to go but I am trying lol

Here is the editorial I am talking about and I think one of the best I have ever read in the Gazette!

"The zero-sum poverty fallacy would lead folks in Colorado Springs to begrudge the citizens of Pueblo for landing a new windmill factory that would have been nice to have in Colorado Springs. The zero-sum fallacy would lead people in Pueblo to begrudge Colorado Springs for building the Southern Delivery System pipeline to facilitate growth."

The link: http://www.gazette.com/opinion/springs-56239-colorado-pueblo.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 04:43 PM

Pueblo is working on a number of projects in downtown and around the city. The biggest is the new Minnequa Lake Park and there is a article on its progress today:

"The 100-acre lake will have a base pool of about 600 acre-feet, which will be supplied by the Lower Ark and supplemented by the Pueblo Board of Water Works under an agreement reached last year. It also will have the capacity to detain up to a 100-year flood and release that volume of water back into the Arkansas River over a 96-hour period, Hobson said."

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain :: Lake Minnequa shores surface again

Also, we have been talking about how Kaiser Permanente will be opening up a medical office here and today it was formally announced in the Chieftain. Here is that article:

"Kaiser Permanente will open its Pueblo medical office in October at a building in the ParkWest Medical Complex near U.S. 50 and Pueblo Boulevard, the company announced."

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain :: Kaiser selects ParkWest site

One of Pueblo's newest companies has been praised for being among the best run companies in the state, here is that article:

"GCC of America's rapid rise as one of Colorado's best-run companies follows more than a decade of focus on best management practices by its Mexico parent, company president Enrique Escalante said Thursday."

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain :: Peak performer: GCC honored as one of state's best-run businesses

To get even more compaies to move here Pedco will help promote sites here is a link to that story:

The Pueblo Economic Development Corp. will soon help members better promote their commercial sites to business prospects.

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain :: PEDCo starts property list

Also, the Govoner will visit Pueblo again. He has to be my favorite govoner as he proves he does not forgert about us down here!

"Gov. Ritter wants to reconnect with folks on how things are going and what they need from him," said Wil Alston, a spokesman for Ritter. Prior to events in La Junta, Ritter is scheduled to tour the construction project on the West Fourth Street bridge in Pueblo at 2 p.m.

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain :: Ritter to visit La Junta, Pueblo area

Finally this weekend will have 2 downtown events the B street bash tonight and tomorrow will there will be a diabetes fundraiser with multiple events that will end with a concert on the Riverwalk. I just heard that festival Friday's starts tonight but I am not sure.

All in all not a huge news day in Pueblo yet all of these are nice steps that will hopefully create some major announcements next quater.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:14 AM

Smile Good news for Pueblo

I find it ironic that just a few days after I had my up date on the new 4th street bridge the Governor came down to look at its progress. In my opinion this shows how this is a important project not only to Pueblo but the state of Colorado as this is a major highway in Pueblo and a vital link for many cities in the region to us. Here is the article from the Chieftain:

The governor, who walked with several community members and elected officials to within 15 feet of the western end of the bridge work, called the project an engineering marvel.

The new structure traverses the Arkansas River and much of the Pueblo railroad yard. Construction of the new bridge began in December 2007, but was halted for about a half-hour during the governor's visit Friday.

Ritter said that when completed in 2011, the bridge will have the longest span (pier to pier) of any state highway bridge in Colorado

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain :: Ritter tours bridge project

Also, unemployment came out for May in Pueblo and altough I am the first one to admit we are still in a recession, I see it every day at work, I beleve that things will get better in 3rd quater. In fact I predict one maybe 2 major announcments for Pueblo. So if we can hold at 8.1% for now that is good for us. Here is that article from the Chieftain:

Pueblo's jobless rate held lower for a second month at 8.1 percent in May.

The rate still was elevated but no longer the highest among Colorado's larger cities, according to state figures released Friday. Weld County and its county seat of Greeley reported a May rate of 8.2 percent.

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain :: Local jobless rate holds lower at 8.1%

Old 06-20-2009, 03:19 PM

Exclamation More Pueblo news

Today was a bigger news day then I first thought as I missed two important articles and one event going on in Pueblo this weekend. At first glance they do not look like much but when analyzed they are three great examples of why I am so exited about Pueblo's Future.

First this article on Pueblo possibly getting two new reservoirs. That would give the county 3 reservoirs and 2 major lakes with some kind of club, one reservoir being among the largest in the state and the most visited state park. This is great for Pueblo for two main reasons. First, recreationally speaking it gives our county something that no other county has along the front range. As Pueblo grows having so many lakes in a short distance will make the metro area more green then it would be and give plenty of places for outdoor activities for our citizens that other cities will not be able to offer. Secondly, and more importantly, having so many reservoirs in Pueblo county will ensure that we continue to be the county most people look at for their water supply in a large region of the state and even in other states including part of the Denver Metro area. That will allow us to keep our political power even though some cities are the same size or larger.

Here is the article in today's Pueblo Chieftain:

"A sod farm owner and gravel pit operator have plans to build a pair of reservoirs east of Pueblo, if they can find some takers"

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain :: Reservoirs proposed: Two east of Pueblo

The next article talks about how all the universities and colleges in southern Colorado are going to work together to increase the areas education level. This shows how Pueblo and Colorado Springs are the co-anchors for the region and to be honest since Colorado State University - Pueblo is the main school working on this shows how we are seen as the regions leader. Thus, as southern Colorado grows Pueblo will always be the hub city, thus, it will keep us a important city in the state and region.

Here is that article from today's Pueblo Chieftain:

The presidents of Colorado State University-Pueblo and Pueblo Community College have joined with leaders of eight other colleges in the region to look at ways to improve educational opportunities and economic success in Southern Colorado.

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain :: College presidents to tackle education, economic woes

One more thing there is a large convention at the state fair grounds this weekend. This is something that Pueblo has that no other city outside of Denver has, so much room for major conventions. I think as Pueblo grows you will see us utilize not only a larger convention center that some day could be 250,000 square feet but the state fair that has close to 1 million square feet for conventions. I would be willing to bet that when fully developed and utilized Pueblo could handle the kind of conventions that today only Denver can in the state. Sure this wont happen over night but I am talking long term goals.

To sum up I think the short term goal for Pueblo should be to increase our business base with alternative energy companies, the tech park, R&D parks, industrial companies etc to get the metro population to double, that would be 300,000 people. In the same time we should work on making the downtown a jewel by adding on to the Riverwalk, convention center, art and theator complex, working with the state fair to have more and larger conventions and getting some kind of minor league baseball team. Pueblo should, also, work on continuing to make CSU Pueblo a major university by helping it get to to 10,000 students then 20,000 students. Pueblo should add the new reservoirs and lakes and make our current ones better for our residents and continue to make our county politically strong. In my opinion this is Pueblo's century and the next generation will look at Colorado with having two major cities, Denver and Pueblo, not just Denver like the state is viewed today.

I want to add that I am not trying to put down other Colorado cities, although I know it looks that way. I am just trying to show, the best I can, that although Pueblo will never be one of the most exclusive and rich cities in the state why I think Pueblo has a bright future and why we will always be one of the major cities in the state and region.

Finally, here is a updated picture on the new police complex in Pueblo.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:39 PM

Talking Verisma's reach growing

This was in today's Pueblo Chieftain as is yet another company that is headquartered in Pueblo.

Peter McCarthy and his partners never doubted their 2004 decision to choose Pueblo as the headquarters of Verisma Systems.

The firm - recently named to Colorado's annual listing of 50 Companies to Watch - handles regulatory, record keeping and back-office data support for hospitals and doctors groups in 14 states

The link: http://www.chieftain.com/articles/2009/06/21/business/local/doc4a3d99c22fd81677527211.txt

Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 PM

The plan: To construct a $3.8 million, 15,000-square-foot, energy-efficient building to house both the nature and raptor centers. The proposed timetable to completion: three years. "A year and a half to find the money - or at least enough to start - and a year and a half to build it, according to the architects (Pueblo's Hurtig, Gardner and Froelich)," says Zarr, who also functions as the nonprofit group's unpaid executive director.

They are located down by the Arkansas river and is a great area with a small board walk and a bike trail goes past it. This is a great idea but to be honost I am not sure they can raise the money.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:28 PM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
Nice info there Joss.

Yeah, Ritter was in LaJunta and I think Las Animas too. There was a sign up for Ritter in LA;

Thank Ritter for our increased tag fees!

Old 06-23-2009, 04:42 PM

I still like him. At least he does not forget about Pueblo like Owens did. Sometimes I think he thought Pueblo was in New Mexico, I wanted to mail him a map of Colorado lol

Old 06-25-2009, 11:41 AM

Another big weekend in Pueblo with the usual downtown festivals and this big show at the fairgrounds with a parade in downtown.

Pueblo will be hosting its 25th annual Rocky Mountain Street Rod Nationals this weekend, beginning Friday. Rowlett said more than 2,000 street rods are expected to be at the Fairgrounds for the event. It is the area's largest vintage car show. "

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain :: Street rods to roll Friday

CSU - Pueblo will soon add another program. Here is the article from today's Pueblo Chieftain:

"Colorado State University-Pueblo may soon offer a bachelor's degree program in athletic training after the Board of Governor's of the CSU System on Wednesday approved a proposal for the program."

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain :: CSU-Pueblo eyes degree in athletics

Again no major devlopment news but "steps" that are good news for Pueblo.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Exclamation Cost of living below average in Pueblo

This is was on KOAA and is great news for us and yet another reason I am so exicted about Pueblo's Future.

"Out of more than 300 cities across America, surveyed during the first few months of 2009, Pueblo had the second lowest cost of living in the country."

The link: http://www.koaa.com/aaaa_top_stories/x1974617349/Cost-of-living-below-average-in-Springs-Pueblo

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado