Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 11:04 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times

Advertisements

Then why don't you keep your negative comments in the Colorado Springs subforum?

You got your own subforum. Joss has every right to post positive news that might bring jobs to Pueblo, which is greatly needed.

I care about this stuff and I could care less for your rudeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 12:38 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Then why don't you keep your negative comments in the Colorado Springs subforum?

You got your own subforum. Joss has every right to post positive news that might bring jobs to Pueblo, which is greatly needed.

I care about this stuff and I could care less for your rudeness.
That makes two of us.....

Pueblo is a decent town. Personally, I can't wait to get back there....

Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 AM

I appreciate the work by the OP here and try to show an op respect when I'm in "their" thread. Granted, it's CDs thread.

I've gone out on a limb to see this OP not getting bullied around because I don't like that for anybody.

I don't know if it is going appreciated or not though. Maybe anonymously and maybe not. Maybe I waste my time, which I don't mind so much. I'd just like to know whether I waste my time or not though, because I cannot always afford to do so.

The truth about Pueblo from my recent experience is that it is VERY hard to find a job here, whether you've got a skill/degree/etc. I finally got a job and it's a place I hope to retire in. It took me a year and four long months to change my career here. Maybe some are better at changing careers than me. One of the things that helped me is to stop listing all of my credentials. It seemed like once I swallowed my pride enough to take "BS, EET" off of my resume and just say "Some college", I started to get hits.

It doesn't look like that is going to change in this town anytime soon. If you can get and secure a decent job here, it's not so bad. But we're near family here and we get the opportunity to get the heck out of here and vacation other places.

Lately, I've enjoyed kicking back and just working on the house and my cars a bit.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:42 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

3. Arlington County, VA is up and coming, no doubt...but it's driven by that little city just across the river...Washington DC.

Irrelevant information of no real importance.
Arlington County, Virginia is up and coming to what?

Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Arlington County, Virginia is up and coming to what?
You're right, I phrased that point extremely poorly. Arlington County is a vibrant city where there are a number of national and international corporate headquarters, the standard of living is relatively high, services to its citizenry is at a high level, and so forth...but, as I pointed out, a lot of that is due as much to being adjacent to D.C., rather than something Arlington County itself has done. Another aspect I was poorly pointing out was that Arlington is in contrast to some of the other locales on the list that are comparatively rural or in the rust belt, etc., and, for a variety of reason, hardly at the cutting edge of attracting new jobs.

My complaint about the post of that top ten list is that I don't think it's that relevant to be on that (and many of the other top ten lists). I would say the same thing if Colorado Springs was number one on that top ten list. Think for a moment about what that top ten list is about -- how counties use information and communications technology. Now, it's good that Pueblo excels at that. They deserve a pat on the back for it. Just as Pueblo deserves pats on the back for a number of things (urban renewal efforts, the concept of the Riverwalk, preservation of historic buildings, its museum, etc.). But the fact that the county government uses information and communications technology well...well, I just don't think that any corporation is going to say, "Gee, Pueblo uses its information and communications technology extremely well. Let's move our corporation headquarters there."

From November 1, 2009 through the end of May, 2011, while there have been little ups and downs, in general, the number of jobs in Pueblo has -- overall -- remained flat. And, Pueblo's unemployment rate is considerably higher than the national average. I don't think this particular top ten list is going to make a whit of difference in employment in Pueblo.

I think Pueblo is looking to the future in a number of ways (as mentioned above), and those issues may, in the long run, attract businesses to Pueblo. I hope so. It's a nice little city. I think it is more progressive than Colorado Springs. I think Pueblo is working in more positive ways to improve their city than are the politicians in Colorado Springs. I'd like to see Pueblo prosper.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:27 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're right, I phrased that point extremely poorly. Arlington County is a vibrant city where there are a number of national and international corporate headquarters, the standard of living is relatively high, services to its citizenry is at a high level, and so forth...but, as I pointed out, a lot of that is due as much to being adjacent to D.C., rather than something Arlington County itself has done. Another aspect I was poorly pointing out was that Arlington is in contrast to some of the other locales on the list that are comparatively rural or in the rust belt, etc., and, for a variety of reason, hardly at the cutting edge of attracting new jobs.

My complaint about the post of that top ten list is that I don't think it's that relevant to be on that (and many of the other top ten lists). I would say the same thing if Colorado Springs was number one on that top ten list. Think for a moment about what that top ten list is about -- how counties use information and communications technology. Now, it's good that Pueblo excels at that. They deserve a pat on the back for it. Just as Pueblo deserves pats on the back for a number of things (urban renewal efforts, the concept of the Riverwalk, preservation of historic buildings, its museum, etc.). But the fact that the county government uses information and communications technology well...well, I just don't think that any corporation is going to say, "Gee, Pueblo uses its information and communications technology extremely well. Let's move our corporation headquarters there."

From November 1, 2009 through the end of May, 2011, while there have been little ups and downs, in general, the number of jobs in Pueblo has -- overall -- remained flat. And, Pueblo's unemployment rate is considerably higher than the national average. I don't think this particular top ten list is going to make a whit of difference in employment in Pueblo.

I think Pueblo is looking to the future in a number of ways (as mentioned above), and those issues may, in the long run, attract businesses to Pueblo. I hope so. It's a nice little city. I think it is more progressive than Colorado Springs. I think Pueblo is working in more positive ways to improve their city than are the politicians in Colorado Springs. I'd like to see Pueblo prosper.
I agree with you that this top 10 list is not going to be the the main reason Pueblo grows and improves it self economically. To be honest I think that distinction goes to CSU Pueblo and that is why I have a thread devoted to that growing university.

Now you said this as well:

"how counties use information and communications technology. Now, it's good that Pueblo excels at that. They deserve a pat on the back for it."

That is all I was doing, giving Pueblo a "pat on the back" for something they are doing good that got noticed nationally.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:28 PM

Thx Joss..

Nice to see Bessemer get some cred in tough times.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Talking Steel mill's melting pot marks 125 years as foundation of Pueblo

I always talk about Pueblo's diversity and how that help make Pueblo one of the original melting pot cities in the state. This year marks the 125 anniversary of when Bessemer was founded, it later became part of Pueblo, and was the city where the steel workers lived. That made it very diverse and when it became part of Pueblo made the city of Pueblo very diverse. Keep in mind this was in 1886 when many of today's cities in Colorado did not even exist.

This is from the Chieftain:

Thanks to Bessemer, Pueblo is widely known for its steel-making capabilities. And thanks to the former CF&I Steel Mill — now Evraz Rocky Mountain Steel — Pueblo's history was largely made with the sweat of immigrants — Italian, Greek, Mexican, Slovenian and German — who moved here more than a century ago to work at the mill. Bessemer gave Pueblo a job and cultural diversity.

The link: Buzz in Bessemer - The Pueblo Chieftain: Local

Old 07-18-2011, 02:22 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,894 times
Are the steel mills still up and running? I thought they closed down a long time ago (after some strike/union thingy)? I thought the mills were like a ghost town or something. When did they start up again???

Old 07-18-2011, 02:41 PM

Actually the mill never closed down completely. CF&I did go into bankruptcy and was bought out I think by Organ Steel Mills then they got bought out by Evraz.

Now the steel mill employs a fraction of what they did back in the 1960's and there are not all the suppliers here as well. However over 1,000 people still work there and they are talking about building a new rail plant and that would require them to hire more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado