Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 12:36 PM

63 posts, read 101,897 times

Advertisements

I'm an outside observer up river in Cañon City. Like it or not, the whole region has a vested interest in a healthy Pueblo. A healthy Pueblo economy will make the whole region more attractive. And to have such dysfunction in the Ark Valley's largest school system is going to be drag on economic development in the area. Not to mention the drag on the real estate market within the city limits of Pueblo.

The Pueblo City school board may just as well have guzzled a cyanide cocktail. What fantasy world are they inhabiting?

Pueblo, you've got two choices. Recall election to replace the board, or invite the state to hurry up and take over the school system. With as many business and political leaders lining up to do battle with the board, I think such a solution is on the near horizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 01:51 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times
Actually the economy in Pueblo is doing very good. Better then I have ever seen it. In fact I have argued that cities get "economic events" that change the predictions on how fast it and the region will grow. The military was such a event for Colorado Springs and I think this has the potential to be that event for Pueblo. 2017 should be a fun year. Then combine this with what is going on in other sectors of the economy and I might get a few new highrises in the next few years.

Back on this topic. This week the Chieftain has ran a series on the impact recreational Mj, medical Mj, and hemp has had on Pueblo and the impact on the economy has been huge.

One article was on the housing in Pueblo as we are now a sellers market. For some reason this article is not on line but it discusses how Pueblo is going through a sellers market now and they have never seen it like this where there are not houses and manufacturing buildings to sale. That when a house goes on the market many get more then one offer at the same time.

Another article was on the impact on the economy itself.

1,300 — Estimated number of people employed in Pueblo County’s marijuana industry
25 — Millions of dollars invested in Pueblo County’s marijuana industry
95 — Number of people employed by Strawberry Fields
189 — Retail and medical marijuana licenses in Pueblo city and county
7 — Millions of dollars invested by the owners of Strawberry Fields

The link: Business invests millions in marijuana

Another article was on how it is impacting the agricultural industry here in Pueblo.

Imagine hundreds or thousands of Pueblo families using solar and wind energy to power growing areas in their yards or basements, where vegetables and other plants — including hemp — could be harvested year-round. Kelly Gelhoff and Meral Sarper do it all the time, and they predict that will be a major benefit of the “green rush” of jobs and products that all are part of the legalization of marijuana and hemp “Pueblo could easily become a hub of new technology for food production,” Sarper said. “The business models for those kinds of companies will be created here.”

The link: Legal marijuana, hemp transforming agriculture in Pueblo

Plus another article on the impact at CSU Pueblo as it is the only university to formally study MJ that I already posted on the CSU Pueblo thread.

Last edited by Josseppie; 07-27-2016 at 02:13 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 06:54 PM

63 posts, read 101,897 times
Even though I was against Amendment 64, I also realize legal MJ is here to stay. And Pueblo has definitely been reaping some economic benefits.

But when those PhD's begin to populate the new cannibus research center at CSU Pueblo, and they make decisions on where to live, school quality will be one of the most important factors to consider. As much as I'd like to see Pueblo succeed and grow, the D60 school system IS BROKEN. New arrivals will likely vote with their feet and buy in the county to be in D70 schools, even though they'd rather live in the city. Worse, they may decide the commute from the Springs isn't that bad.
(Although some may decide eastern Fremont County isn't that far, either)

It's OK to focus on the good things that are happening in Pueblo, but a real optimist knows when 50% is half full or half empty. When it's Pueblo D60 schools, optimists know the glass is bone dry, and it's time to take action.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:41 PM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
District 70 schools are fine and looking even better now.So, until District 60 gets the ship righted, there is that.

Imo, you'd have to move well past the southern El Paso schools on the south end of CoSprings to find a school as well rounded as Pueblo West high school. Palmer, no so much. You'd have to go up into the Black Mountain forest area for the really good schools.

Further south? Cheyenne Mountain maybe, Fountain Fort Carson, a 5A school, maybe.

I'm partial to our local Cyclones of Pueblo West.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian3 View Post
Even though I was against Amendment 64, I also realize legal MJ is here to stay. And Pueblo has definitely been reaping some economic benefits.

But when those PhD's begin to populate the new cannibus research center at CSU Pueblo.
On this topic I have heard people saying this will make Pueblo the equivalent of the FDA for recreational MJ, medical MJ and hemp as they will be studying the topic and coming up with the best rules etc then publishing it in their own peer reviewed paper.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:52 PM

40 posts, read 76,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am glad you like it here. I will say you picked a good time to move here as the economy is growing faster then I have ever seen it grow in my life. Good luck on your job hunting.
Thankyou for the kind words. I've since applied to a training program for a new career and I hope they accept me. In the meantime I've been occupying my time by trying to grow things in my backyard and visiting places on the weekend.
it would be nice if Pueblo had one of those 'New Age' stores that sells things like incense, candles, statues, wall hangings etc but I guess you can't have everything. hopefully as Pueblos alternative community grows, these kinds of shops will open up. Maybe someday I will open here.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra_lioness View Post
Thankyou for the kind words. I've since applied to a training program for a new career and I hope they accept me. In the meantime I've been occupying my time by trying to grow things in my backyard and visiting places on the weekend.
it would be nice if Pueblo had one of those 'New Age' stores that sells things like incense, candles, statues, wall hangings etc but I guess you can't have everything. hopefully as Pueblos alternative community grows, these kinds of shops will open up. Maybe someday I will open here.
There is a store in the mall you might like but I can't think of the name lol. They have a lot of things like what you are looking for.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,571 times
Hi there! I was looking for information on possibly moving to Pueblo as the cost of living seems comparable to here in IA. However, after looking at several sites, there seems to be mixed reviews on the town itself. I happened to come across this site and board. It's nice to see updated posts on a regular basis on here. Can you guys tell me what are the best areas of Pueblo to look for housing? Or what areas to avoid? I found a couple of houses for rent that are in my mark $650 for a 2 bdrm house. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 08-03-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnunez77 View Post
Hi there! I was looking for information on possibly moving to Pueblo as the cost of living seems comparable to here in IA. However, after looking at several sites, there seems to be mixed reviews on the town itself. I happened to come across this site and board. It's nice to see updated posts on a regular basis on here. Can you guys tell me what are the best areas of Pueblo to look for housing? Or what areas to avoid? I found a couple of houses for rent that are in my mark $650 for a 2 bdrm house. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!
I would avoid the east side and the side of town known as Bessesmer. I live on the south side and love it and the north side is great too. I also like downtown or any of the suburbs.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:30 PM

A good article on Pueblo in the Colorado Business journal as the old alpha beta building gets remodeled:

Two iconic water towers hold a bird’s eye view of Pueblo’s century-old red brick factory at 303 S. Santa Fe Drive. Adjacent to the Historic Arkansas Riverwalk, the grounds are bustling with fresh feet. Facing the water, several brew pubs, mom-and-pop restaurants, shops and a market fill the renovated factory. It’s a community gathering place; at least, it will be.

Railroad engineer and Pueblo native Ryan McWilliams paired with a Pennsylvania businessman (who remains anonymous) to turn a portion of the abandoned Alpha Beta meatpacking plant into a social meeting space. The other two-thirds of the 250,000-square-foot site will become a light industrial business hub for companies in the railroad industry. Plus, they plan to build another 175,000-square-foot workspace to host rail car repair.

The link: Pueblo stakes its future on innovation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado