Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,398 times

Advertisements

I disagree--most parts of Denver aren't that safe for a young woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
In that case, most anywhere will do. Denver seems your best bet, lots of people and bound to be a job of some sort for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 01:10 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I disagree--most parts of Denver aren't that safe for a young woman.
Troll.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:42 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
A friend of mine was over in Denver for meetings a few days ago--downtown around the State Capitol specifically. His wife (not originally from Colorado) commented that she had never seen such a large concentration of homeless people, bums, and panhandlers in any other major city in the US that she had visited. They also watched, as they sat at a stoplight right in front of the State Capitol, a carload of young male gang-bangers openly taunting the young middle-class couple in the car next to them--trying to pick a fight.

I have had to personally step over bums sleeping in the doorways of state office buildings in downtown Denver, and I have been told repeatedly when staying in hotels in the downtown area that one should walk in groups of no less than four--day or night--for personal safety reasons. That advice from people who work downtown every day.

So, yes, there are parts of Denver absolutely not safe for a young woman to be out alone--or anybody else alone for that matter. I know several women who work downtown who have concealed weapons permits, know how to use a gun, would use it to defend themselves if necessary, and "pack" every day. And, no, they aren't the "paranoid" types--they have had the kind of harrowing experiences that make one resort to such methods of self-defense.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
A friend of mine was over in Denver for meetings a few days ago--downtown around the State Capitol specifically. His wife (not originally from Colorado) commented that she had never seen such a large concentration of homeless people, bums, and panhandlers in any other major city in the US that she had visited. They also watched, as they sat at a stoplight right in front of the State Capitol, a carload of young male gang-bangers openly taunting the young middle-class couple in the car next to them--trying to pick a fight.

I have had to personally step over bums sleeping in the doorways of state office buildings in downtown Denver, and I have been told repeatedly when staying in hotels in the downtown area that one should walk in groups of no less than four--day or night--for personal safety reasons. That advice from people who work downtown every day.

So, yes, there are parts of Denver absolutely not safe for a young woman to be out alone--or anybody else alone for that matter. I know several women who work downtown who have concealed weapons permits, know how to use a gun, would use it to defend themselves if necessary, and "pack" every day. And, no, they aren't the "paranoid" types--they have had the kind of harrowing experiences that make one resort to such methods of self-defense.

I guess she has never been to south Florida then?

Seriously though, we have a homeless problem here on the western slope, and if people would stop conditioning these people and rewarding them for begging, maybe, just mabe, these people would pull them selves together and do something with their lives.

When I walk into Wal-Mart, and see a mildly retarded man in a wheel chair working full time, I have no sympathy for these "homeless".

Their "homelessness" is a product of their very own actions in life, and it's never to late to make a change.

The rest of us can help them by NOT giving them money/cigarettes/etc.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:51 AM

294 posts, read 1,334,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
For sure, all along the Front Range is cool, and that's about 80% of the state population. Fear not. Y'all come.
Sarcasm? If not, I'm pretty sure that statistic is very wrong..

Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 AM

18,012 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Please give me your colorado opinions!!

In defense of Mike From Back East; he's been a member of City-Data since early 2006, is a Charter Member who volunteered his time and efforts to all of the Colorado Sub-forum and perhaps others as a Moderator, helped establish and set up all of these indexes we use and encourages each and every member here to use the vastly informative search function, was once from the DC area and is very happy about his move to the Front Range...

I doubt he resorts to the lowest form of wit- sarcasm.

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-23-2009 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: It's my personal opinion that the Front Range stops at Fountain

Old 01-23-2009, 11:02 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
On top of that I think his numbers are right, most of Colorado's population lives on the Front Range urban Corridor from Pueblo to Fort Collins....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado