Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 12:49 PM

8 posts, read 15,168 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are looking to re-locate from Christchurch back to the US. We love it here, but our housing options are out of our stratosphere and the cost of living is going up up and further up.

We're looking at the Mountain West region of the US, and Colorado is our dream locale, or at least the western side of the state. We're looking for a small town with reasonable housing prices and options.

We have two young children, and I'm a primary school teacher. My wife is taking a course in primary teaching right now, and will finish in a year.

We're not looking to move back right this minute, but certainly within a couple of years. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

PS,
My wife and I are both Americans, so immigration isn't an issue for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 01:52 PM

11,818 posts, read 34,317,414 times
define "reasonable"

"Options" for what?

Who knows where real estate price will be in a few years.
Who knows what the job market will be in a few years.

Anyone got a crystal ball for xmas?

Last edited by 2bindenver; 01-01-2009 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: i need glasses

Old 01-01-2009, 02:26 PM

Ah, yes, the perils of posting on a forum. Thank you for the informative reply.

Seeing that we're both school teachers, we're looking for a house at 200,000 or less. We would like a home with ome character, not a cookie cutter. We'd love moutain views, but the key for us is to live in and aroudn the mountains. We don't mind snow.

Now, I'd love a crystal ball for Christmas as much as the next guy. But, there are historical tendecies with housing prices. For example, in one neighbourhood in Christchurch, housing will ALWAYS be expensive, whereas another will be less expensive in relation to the pricier one. I'm sure Breckinridge or Aspen or whatever is horrendously expensive.

We're particularly interested in Park County or Clear Creek County. We were very impressed with the way Bailey looked, but the teaching salaries in Clear Creek are excellent.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:50 PM

26 posts, read 127,489 times
the colorado

Old 01-01-2009, 06:52 PM

12,260 posts, read 24,390,431 times
If you are looking at the western slope I would suggest Grand Junction or Durango.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,950,809 times
Since you're both teachers, Grand Junction ( population approx 48,000 ) on the western slope is probably your best bet. The school district is growing. I also know for a fact that they hire quite a few out-of-area teachers. In the smaller towns, teachers are among the highest paid jobs available so there tends to be alot of competition for the few openings available. In addition to the competition, the good-ole-boy network favoring locals over outsiders is still somewhat functional. It's not impossible, but be forewarned that it is a challenge to say the least. You'll have a much easier time finding teaching positions in Grand Junction than you will in the smaller towns.

I know you didn't like 2bindenvers comments, but I'm inclined to agree. Real estate values all over the USA are being re-calibrated at this time, and the recalibration is likely continue for some time. Attempting to guess what prices will be in a few years is a fools game at best. For what is worth, the recalibration is working in your favor as a buyer, so you can thank your lucky stars for that. The same thing goes for the job market. It too is being recalibrated at this time, and the job market recalibration is NOT working in your favor. During times of recession/depression, teaching becomes more popular even in the larger population centers because it pays so well in comparison to most other jobs.....and it offers more security.

If Grand Junction strikes a chord of interest for you, search the Colorado forum using the words Grand Junction. There's alot of information already posted. Good luck with your move!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-02-2009 at 10:08 AM..

Old 01-03-2009, 12:34 PM

Thank you for your help. Grand Junction looks really nice, so we will certainly look around there for work and housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado