Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:31 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times

Advertisements

This was in today's Gazette. I am glad to see the Pueblo station number one in the Pueblo/ Colorado Springs market.

KOAA news still No. 1 most of day

The latest local television ratings look very much the same as they have for the past year, with KOAA/Channels 5&30's newscasts maintaining a large lead in the mornings, afternoons and at night, according to the November Nielsen ratings that were released earlier this week.
The only crack in the KOAA armor came at noon, where the station finished second, behind KRDO/Channel 13. Otherwise, the station led its rivals at 5 a.m., 6 a.m., 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.
"It's consistency of product, consistency of personalities," said Ethan Beute, KOAA's creative services director. "We just do good work, we try to, and viewers are responding."
KKTV/Channel 11 remained in second place at 10 p.m., with KRDO in third.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 02:10 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,915,731 times
Get your TV talk here: SpringsTV Talk

Wait, what? KOAA studios are still in C Springs! Imagine that.

I don't mean to be mean here but seriously, KOAA is effectively a Colorado Springs station. An address in Pueblo doesn't make it a Pueblo station when they choose to broadcast from C Springs.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Get your TV talk here: SpringsTV Talk

Wait, what? KOAA studios are still in C Springs! Imagine that.

I don't mean to be mean here but seriously, KOAA is effectively a Colorado Springs station. An address in Pueblo doesn't make it a Pueblo station when they choose to broadcast from C Springs.
They broadcast from Pueblo look at this from wikepodia:

KOAA-TV is the NBC affiliate for southern Colorado. It is licensed to Pueblo, and broadcasts on channel 5. It also operates a translator, K30AA channel 30, in Colorado Springs. The station has staff and offices in both Pueblo and Colorado Springs. Its news studio is located in Pueblo.

I have been there and watched them do the news live from the studeo in Pueblo.

If you think this information is wrong give them a call then post what you find out here!

Old 01-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Me thinks you should work for the Pueblo Chamber of Commerce.

It's not wrong but your incredible need to push Pueblo is running thin, especially based on the fact they only have KOAA as an address.

Good word. Oh and no, their news studio is in Colorado Springs: KOAA colorado springs - Google Maps and have been there for YEARS and YEARS.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:04 PM

Oh and BTW, even KOAA acknowledges the fact the studios are in C Springs:

Quote:
By 1978, with a news staff based in Colorado Springs, KOAA jumped to second in the ratings after being “fourth in a three station market” for many years. Gilbert then began focusing on coverage of community events as a way of connecting with the viewers.
KOAA.com - Our Story (http://www.koaa.com/station_info_featured/x911468681 - broken link)

Their legal "headquarters" may be in Pueblo but they are effectively run out of the Colorado Springs studio off of 8th street.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:21 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Default Channel 13 is #1 and the Gazette is #2

At noon, the dorks who wear all the makeup and broadcast the news eat their lunch at MoMos by the City Diner near 8th and Santa Fe in Pueblo at noon. We've seen em'. They make it look like they're broadcasting in the Springs though, with the mountain backdrop.

I wish Giorgianne Snuffleuppagous would move over to Channel 13 KRDO because channel 13 rocks! They are better in the morning, early evening and at 10:00 pm, according to McGowdog Ratings.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Me thinks you should work for the Pueblo Chamber of Commerce.

It's not wrong but your incredible need to push Pueblo is running thin, especially based on the fact they only have KOAA as an address.

Good word. Oh and no, their news studio is in Colorado Springs: KOAA colorado springs - Google Maps and have been there for YEARS and YEARS.
I would be surprised if Giorgianne would ever switch to KRDO as she actually lives in Pueblo. You can tell because when she does the new she lets it slip at times that she is in Pueblo. A example I remember was when the Branch Inn explode she said "our friends to the north in the Springs have offered to help" Also, she is very popular on KOAA, they would be stupid to let her go.

Its possible though because some people from Springs commute to Pueblo. I was surprised when KKTV got rid of Mike Madison, I think he is one of the best weatherman in our region and was exited when KOAA got him. He was the only reason I would watch KKTV, now I only watch KOAA.

Coflower,

They act like they are in the Springs and their office is bigger, only makes sense as the Springs is bigger. They keep their news studio in Pueblo, just call them since you do not believe me or MCGowDog.

I have a theory as to why they keep their news studio here. I think its because they see us as a growing area and if Pueblo even grows to half the size of the Springs by them being the only station here can command a huge lead in Pueblo's market and by splitting the rating in the Springs with the 2 other networks cause them to have an overall first place rating.

Why be in a city with two other stations in Colorado Springs when they can be the only station Pueblo?

BTW after this post an apology would be nice when you find out that KOAA actually does broadcast their news in Pueblo......

Old 01-03-2009, 05:39 PM

McGowdog,

Actually the Pueblo Chieftain has a larger coverage area then the Gazette. The Chieftain can be bought in all 16 counties in southern Colorado and even northern New Mexico.

The Pueblo Chieftain has a higher market penetration rate then the Gazette.

This was in 2003 but still hold true today:

"Oct. 29--The Pueblo Chieftain has continued to dominate the nation's daily newspapers in market penetration, the strongest measurement of a publication's readership in its hometown.
For the eighth year in a row, The Chieftain had the highest market penetration among all daily newspapers and the highest among morning dailies. The measurement is aimed at newspapers' primary market area and does not include outlying counties in Southern Colorado.
The latest rankings from the Audit Bureau of Circulation show The Chieftain with a market penetration of 67 percent of households in Pueblo County in both categories."

And in Pure numbers since the Chieftain has such a high market penetration rate they are actually close to the Gazette and in some areas actually are higher.
The bottom line is the Chieftain has a bigger impact on Pueblo and Pueblo politics then the Gazettes in the Springs and Springs politics, as you can tell with the SDS.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:14 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Who's that "Thunderbumper" guy on KOAA weather? He's about a thilly thavage! "Juth a little thunderbumper." He's not very masculine is what I'm sayin'. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

KRDO has a new female anchor who's pretty easy on the eyes. And the new blondie... she's not ugly either.

Add: Yes, Josse. Thunderbumper. That's what the dude says when he's referring to thunderstorms. Or at least that's what I think he's talking about. He's the one who's about 52 to 55 years old and he has blondish hair.

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-03-2009 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: Thousands and thousands of thunderbumpers ago into the future...

Old 01-03-2009, 06:40 PM

McGowdog,

Thunderbumper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado