Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:40 PM

68 posts, read 331,347 times

Advertisements

In response to ROYWC's post about smaller towns in Colorado...

Okay well first off. When someone asks a question in here, the best thing you can do is help them out. You're signed up to this site and check it and should want to help people out. Some people (mostly couples) want to make better lives for themselves and one day raise a family and be as successful as possible in a nice or nicer enviornment. Some of you people who post these miserable replies have ABOSLUTELY NO IDEA what it's like to live else-where.
I.E.

Population in NJ
Where I live now- 31,983
Where I live until 8 years old in Bayonne- 61,842
Where I work in Elizabeth- 120,000
Where I grew up in Brick and went to High School- 76,000

Some people like my girlfriend and I who are moving to Evergreen next year from N(as of now through research) just want to get away from the following; over population, traffic filled roads and cities which is EVERYWHERE YOU GO, EXTREMELY rude, snobby, uptight and obnoxious people and absolutely DISGUSTING air and garbage polution and contamination of waters.
Now, I do not expect to move anywhere in the world where things are 100% better, but things are completely different in other places (LIKE COLORADO). Yet there are MUCH nicer places with MUCH friendlier and happier people. As far as "pricey" goes, I found my dream house that I fell in love with in Conifer on the side of a mountain that was $459,000. Its in a nice town being next to Evergreen with a great school system. A house like that around here would probably sell for somewhere over 1 million and maybe 2 mil in some towns with better school systems. If i saved for 5 years, I could afford that with my gf. (Right now we pay $1700 a month for a brand new apartment which goes for 800-900 out there.) It would take me 15+ to afford that kind of a house here and still have to put up with all the snobbyness, traffic, pollution and rude people. Seriously who wants that? To all you miserable people who reply smart a$$ remarks to all these threads from innocent people who want to make a better life for themselves,GROW UP AND GET A LIFE. You think you know everything but you dont so live somewhere else like NJ and then come talk to us people who want better lives. Until next time, have a miserable life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 07:07 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Came here to CO to retire and get the heck out of the DC area .... crowded ... nasty people ... hateful traffic .... sounds familiar.

Come on out; you're gonna love Colorado.

s/Mie

Old 12-30-2008, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I agree we should help people out. Sometimes helping out includes a "reality check". There simply aren't a lot of "small towns" in Colorado like there are in some states back east, such as Pennsylvania and New York. (I'm not familiar with NJ.) Most of the towns in CO with populations under say, 100,000 people are suburbs of larger cites on the Front Range. (Please note jazzlover and others, I said "most" not "all".

Honsestly, I don't know what you could rent in metro Denver for $800-900/mo. My DD lucked out with a 2 BR, one bath apt in SE Denver for $650 that she rented 3 yrs ago and the landlord hasn't raised the rent since. That is because it is privately owned and her landlord likes her. Such deals are few and far between, and it is not a "luxury" apt.

As for jobs, well, the economy sucks right now. Not a good time to quit your day job.

I for one, would never tell anyone not to come here b/c I think there are too many people, etc. I don't buy that drivel. I would say especially now, don't come out w/o a job (unless you're lucky enough to be retired, like Mike!)

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-30-2008 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: typo, can't type too well with my contacts in!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:44 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
... I would say especially now, don't come out w/o a job (unless you're lucky enough to be retired, like Mike!)
I'm just another dime-a-dozen, 35-year overnight success. Dues paid. Tickets punched. Here we be.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 PM

34 posts, read 120,209 times
njstinks, Moderator cut: no rude comments about other members please! I sugest you and your girl friend take a 2 or 3 week road trip to Co and see things for youself. I think you'll find most people in Co to be welcoming. The main reason you'll hear complaints from them is because the don't have any marketable skills and they are afraid that new commers will take their jobs. They just want you to come out spend all your money and then go back where you came from.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 12-31-2008 at 09:13 AM..

Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 PM

274 posts, read 952,619 times
Jazz does all he can to discourage anyone from moving to the Colorado area. He commonly talks about how natives are being forced farther and farther out of Durango due to people like me moving into the area and driving up the prices. No one gave me a dime. I say if Jazz wants to live in Glacier Club or in town, learn a better profession and make something of himself. Personally I love Durango, and the people there. As for work, I can make a living there as easily as anywhere else. If Colorado is what you want, don't let anyone discourage you. The only negativity I've ever encountered from people in Colorado were here on this board. In person the people around Durango, Silverton, and Ouray are the most easy going friendly group I've met in a long time.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:37 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
bucky7680 said:

Quote:
They just want you to come out spend all your money and then go back where you came from.
A prominent editorial columnist for the Denver Post has actively espoused that philosophy for years. He has had one of the most loyal followings of readers of any columnist of the paper. Why don't you call him up and swear at him?

Old 12-31-2008, 08:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
bucky7680 said:

A prominent editorial columnist for the Denver Post has actively espoused that philosophy for years. He has had one of the most loyal followings of readers of any columnist of the paper. Why don't you call him up and swear at him?
Yes, Colorado has promoted tourism for >100 years, and then is surprised when those who visit want to move here!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,766 times
Yes, the naysaying does get tiresome.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:57 PM

719 posts, read 2,618,621 times
Amen, ottodog. The lemmings from both coasts always lament what's wrong with where they are and move here en masse, only to make their old realities more evident here as time goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado