Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:32 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times

Advertisements

When my old thread titled, "Is there anything on the Eastern Plains?" was recently revived, it reminded me of a trip I took during the late summer about two and a half years ago to the Pawnee National Grassland, about an hour northeast of Greeley. Very beautiful, very unexpected in the middle of a sea of grass going on forever it seems. And very uncrowded. We saw maybe two or three other cars the whole several hours we spent there. I remember it was extremely windy and tons of giant grasshoppers that looked like aliens from another planet. It was a surreal experience. I thought these pictures were permanently deleted when my hard drive crashed last year, but just found them on my parents' computer. Not being one to let a good picture go to waste, here they are!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 03:40 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Excellant pics Pilgrim......I grew up on the plains in Limon......and it was beautiful there......except in the winter

Old 01-03-2009, 04:16 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
Cool! Thanks!

Old 01-03-2009, 05:06 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
It's a beaut of a butte!

I wonder where that was from Merino, Haxtun, Otis, Holyoke, Wray, etc.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:49 PM

123 posts, read 524,783 times
Hey there's Two Socks, well maybe not... I think thats a cow.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:01 PM

260 posts, read 1,438,522 times
I used to camp there almost every year in Boy Scouts ... back in the 80's. It was an absolute blast. We saw so many rattlesnakes in this area! And climbed the buttes before one of them got knocked over on top.

And now it's not even recognizable ... all ranger-i-fied and protected. You used to be able to wonder around anywhere and now it's 'stay on the trail' only. The place has is very unusual It's a really cool area ... and the nearby ghost town and missile silos are also interesting to see. There was a graveyard in town from the late 1800's that is interesting to see. And this area was filmed in the made for TV series 'centennial' ... I believe.

Last edited by b.adams; 01-04-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 11:15 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
It's a beaut of a butte!

I wonder where that was from Merino, Haxtun, Otis, Holyoke, Wray, etc.
McGowdog - The Pawnees are out northeast of Greeley about 10 miles off Colorado 14. You can see them from the highway.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 AM

687 posts, read 2,951,348 times
Good shots again!! And those with any interest in Colorado history should rent and watch "Centennial" as mentioned earlier. Much of it was filmed on site, fantastic series. Of course a bit dated to watch now, but still great history. One of those snowy days inside things to do.
VegasPilgrim, ever been to SandCreek Massacre site? Way down southeast corner of the state?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Good shots again!! And those with any interest in Colorado history should rent and watch "Centennial" as mentioned earlier. Much of it was filmed on site, fantastic series. Of course a bit dated to watch now, but still great history. One of those snowy days inside things to do.
VegasPilgrim, ever been to SandCreek Massacre site? Way down southeast corner of the state?
Nope, but I want to see it some day, as well as Bent's Fort. I figure it could be worth doing a roadtrip going through some backroads in eastern Colorado and Kansas, seeing the real Great Plains, all the way to Kansas City. The Pawnee Buttes to the north and the town of Kiowa to the south is the farthest east I've ever been in Colorado.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
I've got a Lamar/Wiley/McClave/Bent's Fort little photo thread in here somewhere.

I used to deliver food to the people who lived at the site of the Sand Creek Massacre; the Mables, I believe. Some Mayos and Blodgetts up there too. They up and sold their property to the Native Americans for a couple Mill and moved to the Springs. I used to swing by there every other Monday for about a year!

It was right there between Chivington and Brandon or maybe west of Chivington towards Eads (but closest to Chivington), but north on some county road that curves around... you can tell the sight by the strange line of trees (maybe native cottonwoods or something) right smack dab in the middle of nowhere!) If you're in the Denver Metro or Springs area, head to Kit Carson and head south through Eads, then head east on that road and don't turn on to 287 going to Lamar. Just continue east towards Healy Kansas. But if you see a Chivington sign, you're close. Not much in Chivington! I knew the whole town by name I did!

That was MY stompin' grounds... from Lamar west to Hazwell, then north through May Valley, Chivington, Brandon, sometimes Sheridan Lake to Towner (where my mom was born), up to Arapahoe, Cheyenne Wells, First View, then north to Burlington, Bethune, Scratton, Vona, Seibert...

I wished I had my EnV phone with me back then. I didn't even have a camera phone and not much time to snap shots. Dry land farming out there mostly.

Now along that Ark Valley, that's another story for another day.

Centennial! Watchin' it now!

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-05-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado