Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 11:27 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times

Advertisements

This probably isn't in the right forum, but I can't find a travel one here. I need info on where to stay and how to get to Mesa Verde and Four Corners. Eg; is Durango the nearest place with accommodation or are there any nearer?

I want to do a long weekend trip, driving down from Denver, 1st/2nd week of June, staying in comfortable, 2-3 Star motels/hotels with somewhere good to eat close by.

Any and all helpful advice most welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Cortez is closer to the 4 corners and MV, but while you're in the area you ought to visit Durango too while you're there.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:50 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Can you recommend any hotels in either city?

Old 03-07-2007, 02:27 PM

110 posts, read 473,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Can you recommend any hotels in either city?
I would recommend the Holiday Inn Express in Cortez. Staying in Cortez will put you almost equidistance between the Four Corners and Mesa Verde and it will be less expensive and less busy than Durango. You can go onto their web site and see photos, availability, etc.

Also, from Cortez you can take a short trip 8 miles North on Colorado 145 to the great little town of Dolores (where I grew up) if you want to see a much different landscape than the Cortez area.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:29 PM

157 posts, read 651,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomonter View Post
Staying in Cortez will put you almost equidistance between the Four Corners and Mesa Verde and it will be less expensive and less busy than Durango.
I would agree w/Colomonter. Cortez is likely to be less expensive that time of year and easier access to where you want to be.

If you want to check out Dgo too, you might try the Holiday Inn - its 2 blocks from Hwy 160 West (to Mesa Verde) and 2 blocks from Main Ave downtown (lots of good places to eat). Holiday Inn - 970.247.5393 For more info on lodging in Dgo, try Dgo Central Reservations (970.247.8900) or www.durango.org

Wait, oh yeah, there is also the Far View Lodge inside Mesa Verde National Park www.nationalparkreservations.com

Good luck and best wishes!

Last edited by dgoboy204; 03-07-2007 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 03-08-2007, 01:18 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,125 times
I agree with Colomonter, tfox and Dgoboy, Cortez would be better for Mesa Verde and the Four Corners monument. I would go visit Durango for lots of activities to do like the train ride, strolling downtown, all the fab restaurants, raft rides too among other things. You might stay in Holiday Inn one or two nights in Durango and do stuff there and then transfer to Cortez Holiday Inn and do the rest from there. Durango Holiday Inn has Applebees right there. You can easily walk to downtown from there, which is great since parking in downtown Durango can be an Olympic challenge. Visit the Durango Chamber of Commerce on Camino Del Rio and Santa Rita Drive for lots of brochures, info and more on the area and stuff to do. Have fun!
For time:
Train take a day to ride.
Mesa Verde takes about half a day to see but if you go on all the hikes, count on at least one day.
Raft rides take a few hours.
Four Corners monument you can see and take a few pictures and leave in a couple of hours at most.

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 03-08-2007 at 01:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado