Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:58 AM

83 posts, read 356,003 times

Advertisements

I love racoons, are there any places in Colorado where there is an abundance of them. That is where I want to buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 PM

616 posts, read 2,995,778 times
I think you will find them scattered around the front range. When I went to CU Boulder, I locked myself out of my dorm room and was trying to climb through my window but 2 coons were right there. I decided to come back later.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:34 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,135,113 times
I used to work summers as a trail guide in Estes Park. We lived in a very primitive bunkhouse that wasn't all that secure anyway, so we frequently left the door open.

One night I was dreaming that I was at home in my bed with my cat sleeping on top of me. In the dream the cat put its paw on my forehead; the feeling of something cool and rough on my forehead was so real that it woke me up. I opened my eyes and found a racoon sitting on my chest staring me in the face! I don't know what kept me from jumping out of my skin (not that I'm afraid of racoons, I was just startled to find a "wild" animal in my bed), but I just muttered "Oh man!" and the 'coon hopped off and ran to the other side of the room.

Another time - same job, different year - some of us were sitting on the porch when a very tame racoon came to visit us. He hung out awhile, then left and returned with a friend. Then they both left and the first one came back with a different friend. They all looked the same, but we could tell the three apart by the way they took the bread we offered them: The first would take it from our hands and hold it while he ate it; the second would eat it while we held it; and the third would knock it out of our hands and eat it off the ground.

Anyway, there are lots of racoons around Estes Park, or at least there were 10-15 years ago.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:43 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,886,108 times
Grew up with racoons under the decks at our house in C Springs. Those guys are destructive but cute. They would fight with the skunks under there, some interesting summer nights growing up.

I don't see them as often around my area now but I have seen them. Even seen some coyote as well.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:05 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,879,341 times
We had plenty of raccoons right smack in central Denver. I'm talking within walking distance of the Cherry Creek Mall. They lived in the sewers.
We also had foxes, coyotes and shark-shinned hawks. Saw them regularly.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 11,712 times
This is so funny, my fiance loves raccoons...we have quite a lot of them here in KY, most along the side of the highways . We want to move to the Denver area next year, and he told me we should live somewhere with raccoons.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:23 PM

431 posts, read 2,785,918 times
I'll give you all mine. Destructive little devils. But electric fence sure helps keep them out of the corn. When they hit it we know. It sounds like a child crying. When the skunks hit it --well--the whole neighborhood knows. I get awful tired of taking down all the bird feeders and emptying the squirrel feeder. They don't just eat the feed, they got to tear up the feeders. I had to push one out of the tree one night with a broom, he was so brazen. I wanted the feeders and so did he.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:03 PM

83 posts, read 356,003 times
Default Raccoon lover needs info

Has anyone seen any racoons in Pueblo, LaJunita, or areas around there. I am planning on moving there and love the little bandits.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:54 PM

11,548 posts, read 52,903,008 times
lots of racoons, skunks, badger, prairie dogs ...

Old 02-23-2007, 01:08 AM

132 posts, read 575,297 times
Here in Missouri, a lot of raccoons have rabies and other diseases/parasites. I would suggest being careful about feeding or watching them at close range. They are fun to watch, but be careful about it and keep things like your garbage cans secured. Don't leave children or pets at risk of being bitten by them. They will also be a real nuisance if you try to grow fruit or vegetables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado