Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,629 times

Advertisements

Can I get some info from people who live in the Pueblo and surrounding areas (say 50 miles out).
I mean things like crime,taxes on homes and land(high or low compared to rest of U.S.) quality of life type of info.

Thanks Kerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
I will have to go out and get those stats for you tomorrow as I do not know them off the top of my head, but I will do that.

As far as quality of life, I am biased as I live in Pueblo but I think its GREAT! Look at this page on this site for pictures and more info on Pueblo:

//www.city-data.com/forum/colorado/523455-pueblo-southern-colorado.html

If you have any questions I would be more then happy to answer them!

Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 AM

Thats the problem it looks fantastic..almost to good to be true.
I am retired (I am young in my 40's so work is not really a issue).
I was wondering about property taxes. Are they high in Pueblo or in Colorado in general?
Any info is much appericated.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 AM

See if this helps:

Average Residential Monthly Utility Bills:
Natural Gas:
$ 43.05
Electricity:
$ 60.00
Water:
$ 21.52
Telephone:
$ 22.00

Taxes:
Groceries and prescriptions are not taxed.
City Sales and Use Tax:
3.5%
County Sales Tax:
1%
State Sales Tax:
3%
Total Sales Tax:
7.5%

Median Family Income for 1996: $ 35,300
State Individual Tax is 5% of Colorado Taxable Income. There is no city or county individual tax.
Vehicle License Tax is the percentage of the list price and the vehicle weight.
Lodging Tax is 4.3%, in addition to other applicable sales tax, charged on hotel and motel rooms only in the city limits.
Real Property Tax in Colorado is assessed by the political subdivision in which the property is located. The assessed valuation, for tax purposes, in Pueblo County was 29% for the total value of commercial and 10.36% of residential property in 1996.[/LEFT]
Civilian Labor Force:
Total Employment:
Total Unemployment:
% Unemployed:
6.4%

Violent Crime:
(1997)
Homicide:
Rape:
Robbery:
Assault:
Property Crimes:
(1997)
Burglary:
Larceny:
Auto Theft:

Pueblo Colorado Demographics and Relocation Information (http://www.puebloonline.com/about/demographics.htm - broken link)

Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 AM

Thank you.
I noticed there is also a Pueblo west..is that a good area also or not?
Sorry fo being a pain in the butt.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:40 AM

You are not, as anyone will tell you in here I LOVE to talk about Pueblo lol

Now for Pueblo West. It is a suburb of Pueblo, technically a metro district. The taxes are different then in the city and I think they are higher but the cost of housing is lower. Its more of a rural area with no street lights and many of the roads are not paved and it is spread out.

Here is a area I think you should check out: http://www.walkingstickvista.com/

It is a new area being developed by the university on the north side of pueblo and will be more dense living. They will, also, have a area for people who are retired with a nice fountain and I am told you will be able to walk where you want to go.

There are also new condos being built in downtown all the time by the Riverwalk area, that would be great if you like that kind of living.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 AM

Look at this too:

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...ng-pueblo.html

Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Now for Pueblo West. It is a suburb of Pueblo, technically a metro district. The taxes are different then in the city and I think they are higher but the cost of housing is lower. Its more of a rural area with no street lights and many of the roads are not paved and it is spread out.

Here is a area I think you should check out: http://www.walkingstickvista.com/

There are also new condos being built in downtown all the time by the Riverwalk area, that would be great if you like that kind of living.
I'm not so sure about that. Pueblo West is out in the county so sales tax is about 3.5% and Pueblo in the city limits would be about 7.5%. The lack of tax in Pueblo West is also its burden; volunteer fire department, Sherrif substation, as the Pueblo Police have no jurisdiction out there, although a number of them live out there, no curbs and gutter, etc. I'd say that housing is/was pretty low out in Pueblo West too.

That's why about 80% of all residential construction for Pueblo County was done out in Pueblo West. Now there's a bunch of empty brand new and spec homes out there now.

I suggest you stay away from WalkingStickVista for now and stick with reality. Pueblo West is here right now, waiting for you!

I also like Joss's suggestion to check out the new condos near the riverwalk. That would be cool.

Truth be told, there's a bunch of gems out in Pueblo proper, but you have to get out here and really look around to get a good feel for it. I like Aberdeen, El Camino, the Regency area I think it's called, any area near a golf course pretty much, including Walking Stick, the Ridge and Eagleridge area if you like new development...

I'm gonna drop you a few links that I've come across in my 2 year tenure on City-Data as well. I appreciate all of Joss's help here, but he's starting to remind me of Arnold Horseshack. OOH OOH-OOH OHHH! PICK ME PICK ME!

Pic thread of mine that include lots of Pueblo pics and places to eat here. Keep in mind that there's another small mountain community about 20 miles south of Pueblo called Colorado City, Rye, and San Isabel.

I Need The Truth About Pueblo

Info on Pueblo West, Co

What do you think about Pueblo Colorado?

Pueblo or Pueblo West?

Boating in Colorado

And the one that brought me to this wonderful forum in the first place;

Why is Pueblo CO so cheap?

Truth be told, there are many reasons why a home in Pueblo would be nicer than a home in Pueblo West. But it's those little nuances about it that I like; for instance, I love the seclusion. I love that my neighbors are an acre away from me on each side. I like having an acre+ of property. I love that we have no street lights! If my bozo neighbors will shut their porch lights off, then we've got pitch black out there and you can see stars! You can also see the glow of city lights on the horizon that would be Pueblo and Colorado Springs. It takes me about 55 minutes to get to Colorado's best airport which would be the Colorado Springs airport.

That's my 2 cents.

Flashforward to Joss: I'm not sure about the property tax difference at this point, but some of us are on septic tank and leach field. The good thing about that is that we don't pay sewer. My last water bill for the month of December was 14 bucks. What was yours?

If anybody is gonna put Pueblo West down, it's me. I've been living here for the last 9 years! I know this place. I'm also gonna discuss the things I like about it too.

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-14-2009 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: edit pic link

Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 AM

All good suggestions and I did not mean to put down Pueblo West, its a great place to live. People just tell me they pay to much for water, electricity and property tax compared to city rates. But since I don't live out there I do not know my self if they just like to complain or there is something to it.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks people and McDowdog I to like my space so I will be taking a closer look out in Pueblo west.
Thank you all again very much
Kerry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado