Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:04 PM

12 posts, read 50,337 times

Advertisements

We love Canon City, though our home is for sale as we are relocating to Pueblo due to my husbands job. We have looked at every square inch of Pueblo I think re: homes! We have decided on Pueblo West only because you get more land/home for the money. If you are still planning on moving to Canon City, you won't regret it, it is a nice little town.

Last edited by mdz; 08-19-2007 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Sorry, can't link to a realtor website here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 04:37 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
You know what's funny is that we are talking about moving and buying a house and i just realized that the property taxes here in texas are high! My brother-in-law pays about 1,500-2,000 dollars a year on property tax. and while browsing for homes in colorado i noticed taxes mostly under 1,000. Is this right? Did anybody else notice a change lower or higher after the move to colorado. would like to here comments.
Thanks to two Colorado Constitutional amendments--the 1982 Gallagher Amendment and the 1992 TABOR amendment--Colorado has one of the lowest effective property tax rates in the U.S. on residential property. While that may make homeowners giddy, it has a down side. Thanks to Gallagher, the effective tax rate on NON-residential property (commercial and industrial property in particular) is relatively high. Does that make businesses with large amounts of equipment and real property avoid locating or growing in Colorado? Good question--though the industrial base of capital-intensive industries in Colorado has not exactly been growing robustly. Thanks to TABOR, many service-providing taxing entities--everything from small water districts, fire districts, cemetary districts, etc.--have to live on very thin budgets, even in flush times. If Colorado does experience a serious economic downturn (and that is inevitable at some point--anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool), then many entities that provide very essential services to Colorado taxpayers are likely to face serious difficulties in providing those services. So, while no one likes high taxes or inefficient and wasteful government, Colorado's tax system can hardly be called "balanced."

Oh, and there is no free lunch. Colorado's aggregated local and state sales tax rates (often over 8 1/2% in many areas) make it one of the higher sales tax states. Also, fuel taxes in Colorado are among the nation's highest. Historically, Colorado was one the first states nationally to impose both the fuel tax and sales tax. Unlike Texas (home of the original poster), Colorado also has a state income tax, though it is fairly moderate compared to many states.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
What's the water situation like in Pueblo/Pueblo West?

Old 02-27-2008, 03:12 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
I live in Pueblo West and I drink water right from the faucet. It's the best water in the world.

We have septic with leach field on over 1 acre. The good thing here is we don't pay for sewage. My water bill in winter is about 14 bucks a month.

In the summer, we have a small lawn and sprinkler system to try to keep it green. I don't let the water bill get over 40 bucks a month in the summer.

My dad, Mr. McGowdog Sr. claims he doesn't drink water. He says that fish do the nasty in that stuff.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
My dad, Mr. McGowdog Sr. claims he doesn't drink water. He says that fish do the nasty in that stuff.
As old-line Coloradans say, "Whiskey is for drinkin', water is for fightin' about."

Old 02-27-2008, 03:19 PM

You got that right.

And yes, me and Callahan will fight for our water.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:44 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,001 times
thanks to all who helped in responding to my questions, but i have another question. Turns out my wife really doesn't want to move to Colorado, but I really want to, so we compromised to live here for one year, you know experience the 4 seasons get to know the area, so we are going to rent 6months-1year before we buy a home, so I'm looking for a 2 bed 2bath apartment with carport/garage a swimming pool, nice neighbors not loud and close to JC Penney, also looking for something close to major expressway, restuarants, etc. Any suggestions?

Old 06-12-2008, 03:40 PM

Good to hear from ya again! The weather's nice here lately when it comes to not being too hot-yet.

We're at about 81° now but could hit 95° by Saturday, with a low of 50°.

I hear that if you're a Texan, 100° is considered to be "a bit warm". I also hear that you consider an Armadillo to be a flat animal that sleeps in the road. And that your mailbox is 90 miles away from the house.

Anyway, you're looking at apartments on the North side of Pueblo like The Preserve at Belmont, Royal Plaza and La Villa Apts.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:22 PM

thanks alot for responding so quickly. I've been reading other posts and seen a few names quite frequently it's like I know some of the names like I know a person. Once again, thanks McGowdog and i've got this one shot to convince my wife, the move is for the better. I'll keep in touch and let you all know how it went and which apartment I chose and if other questions arise for the move i'll definitely post!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 PM

p.s. yeah it's hot and humid down in South Texas right now it's 82 but feels like 87 at 11:27 p.m. Central time and it's 67 in Pueblo how i wish i were there. Hey McGowdog how did you make the "degree" sign i can't for the life of me find it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado