U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 04:23 AM

38 posts, read 98,760 times

Advertisements

Ok, So my wife and I are currently living Charleston, SC. In our opinion it is the worst city in America! at least for us. Anyways, so I am getting out of the Air Force in a career that really doesn't set me up for a good future (In my mind) my wife has a degree in advertising and stuff like that. anyways, in charleston, her degree is completely worthless, anyways, my job deals with cargo, shipping, (anything that a Airport does) ok.. so I grew up in VA in the blueridge, and living on the coast with no good surf has been 4 years of torture. OK! So!! before I start in the more area focused forum, I've been researching Fort Collins, and hmm.. well, thats about it. Skiing, mountain bikes, rock climbing, thats what I do, growing up.. thats my thing.. ok.. back to what I'm looking for.. so, so I think its abvisous that Denver will provided everything my wife might want, but its all about balance, so we have come up with what we are looking for.. so from what I list below, maybe someone can help us pick the right area to focus our research.

so we are looking for

- great shopping (not your cookie cutter malls, sick of them)
- best location for getting to skiing in under an hour (if possible)
- small town feel, with every comforts of a big area
- lots of fine Arts, music mostly (not rock bands)
- community groups, clubs, not stuck up, creative people
- how about latin culture (we're hispanic, we might look and sound American, but we would like to have latin friends who aren't umm.. illigael, it sounds a bit messed up, but you have to do alot of favors and translate all the time.. I'm all about helping people, but breaking the law sometimes gets hard, we stay away from border jumpers, I came leagely, so can they)
- Dancing dancing dancing!! we love to salsa dance, and good fun night clubs or bars
- is smoking still aloud in restorants and bars and clubs? Its kind of nice being in a smoke free place, thats how it is here in SC now.
- Are the roads in bad or good condition? Roads in SC are like driving dirt or gravel roads, bumps, pot holes, cracks, man, its the worst place for your cars supession and tires.
- Can people drive? they sure cant here.
- JOBS JOBS JOBS!! we need some place with tons of jobs and good pay, we understand that we will be pretty much starting over when it comes to work, but come on, people cant even find work at wal-mart or fast food places here.. homes average at 250k and total house hold income is not even 40k a year..

sorry for this being alittle long, looking forward to see what you all recommend!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:00 AM

2,755 posts, read 12,501,821 times
- great shopping (not your cookie cutter malls, sick of them)

We also have lots of cookie-cutter malls.

However, The city of Denver and many of the original suburbs all have small commercial areas of mostly locally-owned shopping. Examples are South Pearl, Old South Gaylord, Highlands Square, Tennyson Street (North Denver). Cherry Creek is the location for expensive boutiques. In the suburbs, you have Old Englewood, Old Littleton, Old Town Arvada, Downtown Golden.

- best location for getting to skiing in under an hour (if possible)

Golden or Western Lakewood, but with traffic it's likely to be more than an hour.

- small town feel, with every comforts of a big area

I don't think Metro Denver really has anywhere with a "small town feel," unfortunately. The only suburbs that might feel like a small town is Golden or Morrison, as they both are hidden behind some hills.

- lots of fine Arts, music mostly (not rock bands)

We do have a very large performance arts venue called the Denver Center for Performing Arts, which includes music venues (mostly classical). I wouldn't call Denver a mecca for classical music, however.

- community groups, clubs, not stuck up, creative people

I think you can find that here. My central Denver neighborhood has many very active community groups and lots of creative types.

- how about latin culture

You shouldn't have a problem here. While there are a noticable number of illegal aliens in Metro Denver, the vast majority of the Hispanics in Denver are legal and many of them are Denver natives.

- Dancing dancing dancing!! we love to salsa dance, and good fun night clubs or bars

Yes, there are a number of dance clubs and latin-oriented dance venues in Denver.

- is smoking still aloud in restorants and bars and clubs? Its kind of nice being in a smoke free place, thats how it is here in SC now.

We also have a statewide smoking ban.

- Are the roads in bad or good condition? Roads in SC are like driving dirt or gravel roads, bumps, pot holes, cracks, man, its the worst place for your cars supession and tires.

Roads aren't very good here either.

- Can people drive? they sure cant here.

Well, I've found that every city in America has the worst drivers in America.

- JOBS JOBS JOBS!! we need some place with tons of jobs and good pay

Now's not the best time to find a job, and you'll have lots of competition. That said, I'm sure the ones you'll find pay much better than a place like South Carolina.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 AM

12,258 posts, read 23,296,150 times
You need to look at Pueblo Colorado here is a link to the Pueblo page here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...ml#post6736580

Old 01-24-2009, 10:05 AM

24,422 posts, read 45,310,536 times
Denver area. Nothing else comes close, unless you want to be near lots of USAF stuff, in which case its COLO SPGS.

Small town feel is hard to have, unless you give up much of the other things on your list.

Try old-town Littleton, near the RTD lot, has some small town aspects. It's on the SW side of Denver metro area.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:19 AM

12,258 posts, read 23,296,150 times
LOL i love how you guys always leave out Pueblo. We have arts, Sangre De Cristo Arts and Conference center and Pueblo also has a thriving small town theater scene and a symphony. And for the occasional big plays that Denver gets the drive is only a hour and half drive, maybe 4 times a year. Plus we have the small town feel in a good size city with a downtown that is the second largest in the state and growing fast. One of the jewels in downtown is our Riverwalk which when completed will go from the historic downtown area to the baseball stadium and lake. In fact there is more development in downtown Pueblo then in the downtown's of Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Loveland and boulder and we rivel was it going on in downtown Denver. Not to mention that Colorado State University - Pueblo is the states fastest goring college.

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-24-2009 at 11:16 AM..

Old 01-25-2009, 02:25 AM

38 posts, read 98,760 times
hmm... ok, so maybe I need to visit this state.. as for small town I guess I really just need a nice city with nice people.. which area seems to have the least about of traffic? like I said, until I do some personal exploring, right now, I'm doing most of my reseach in Fort Collins.. And No, as of now, I dont think I need or want to be near any Air Force Bases. HAHA..

Old 01-26-2009, 07:06 AM

16,433 posts, read 21,244,341 times
I hope your AFSC is in demand on the outside. Many people would love to get into the Air Force right now because of the slow economy. You have a lot of benefits that civilians can only dream about. My son-in-law is leaving the military right now and I believe he's making a big mistake.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:47 PM

171 posts, read 168,811 times
If you think the beautiful city of Charleston, S.C. is so bad you are in for a lifetime of disappointment.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:27 PM

694 posts, read 964,634 times
What's your bank account look like? Denver is one of the most expensive cities in the country. Average price of a house is 405K. Few homes on the market. Average 1 bedroom in the city is around $1,300; for a decent 2 bedroom, about $1,700.

You also mentioned about surfing. Not here, pal.

For all you mentioned that you want in a lifestyle here in Colorado, you and the Ms. will need a combined income of at least 75 - 100k.

Denver is no longer a cow town like it was when I got out the USAF from Lowry AFB in 1983.

Now we have massive traffic all over town, high cost of living, and all the other problems associated with a big city.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:34 PM

11,517 posts, read 50,289,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
What's your bank account look like? Denver is one of the most expensive cities in the country. Average price of a house is 405K. Few homes on the market. Average 1 bedroom in the city is around $1,300; for a decent 2 bedroom, about $1,700.

You also mentioned about surfing. Not here, pal.

For all you mentioned that you want in a lifestyle here in Colorado, you and the Ms. will need a combined income of at least 75 - 100k.

Denver is no longer a cow town like it was when I got out the USAF from Lowry AFB in 1983.

Now we have massive traffic all over town, high cost of living, and all the other problems associated with a big city.
six year old thread here, John or JohnnyD ... do ya' think that the OP might have found a place by now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado