Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 PM
'M'

1,954 posts, read 3,183,149 times

Advertisements

I've decided to go back to school to get nursing degree/RN. Have previous degree not related to healthcare. I would like ideas on what anyone else thinks would be a good plan for someone like me. Am thinking of LPN first at Front Range Community College, then working in nursing while I finish up with a BSN. Any ideas, pro and con? I am "older" but am motivated and passionate about what I see as my opportunites to go into specialized areas of nursing. Will need financial aid for school. Also, I live in the mountains, so the driving will be a consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,363,271 times
I want point you to Excelsior College, the largest accredited school of nursing in the US. It is located in Albany, NY. https://www.excelsior.edu/

It has specific programs that will fit your needs, as an older student, in Colorado or any state. https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_...ool_Of_Nursing

It is very well known and respected in health care and has been granting degrees for many years. In addition, it is used by the Armed Forces to train nurses. Be sure to review the video and read the information and make a contact with the school.

https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_.../nursing_video

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-04-2009 at 09:09 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 12:00 PM

17 posts, read 95,362 times
Default Nursing schools

My daughter just graduated from Regis University, from the accelerated BSN program. She starts her new job at the Children's Hospital next month. Regis has an excellent reputation and a great program, with 98% of their graduates passing their Board exams on the first try, and an unbelievable placement rate for new grads as well.

She moved to Denver 2 1/2 yrs ago after graduating with her BS in Biology, worked at a Denver hospital as a rehab tech and was trying to decide whether or not to pursue Physical Therapy. Nurses at the hospital encouraged her to consider Nursing, and recommended Regis. I know that she is so glad that she took their advice...both on Nursing as a career and Regis as the school to attend!!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 12,037 times
Default back to school

Nursing is a great second career. I also went back to nursing school as an adult learner (age 32). Being from NC, I'm not sure how the community colleges are in CO. I received an ADN after 2 years. Was able to sit for the LPN boards after the first year. Worked as a CNA until I got my LPN. After a few years I went back and got my BSN (very much worth the trouble to get your BSN). Your opporutnities as a LPN will be more limited than with a RN degree. Check with the community college regarding grants and loans. I also had to apply for these as well. I considered Excelsior (formerly Regents years ago) to get my BSN, but they were very expensive at that time. Will any of your prior college credits transfer to the community college? Hope there is not a waiting list and you are able to get in. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:16 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,355,293 times
I would not go the LPN to RN route (unless you can do what hart48 did). If you want to be an RN, go for that right away. BTW, you do not get an "RN" from any school. You get that from passing the state board exam. You get an AAS (associate in applied science) or a BSN (bachelor of science in nursing) from the college/university. You are then eligible to take the NCLEX (?) exam.

I am saying if you want to be an RN, do not enroll in an LPN prgram. There are a number of nursing programs here in CO. Regis has been mentioned, also CU has a similar program, as does Metro. UNC in Greeley and UCCS have nursing programs as well. Both Regis and CU also have direct-entry nursing programs. There may be others. Do a google search.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:53 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,105,611 times
UCCS's Bethel program offers a nursing program. (Colorado Springs)

Old 02-07-2009, 01:09 PM

18,656 posts, read 33,247,800 times
If Regis is the same Regis as in the Boston area, it's a private school and very expensive (and a BSN, not a two-year). I always suggest that people take the fastest, cheapest way to take the RN boards (usually an associate's degree or hospital diploma) and then, if you want more credentials, you can always get them while making an RN's salary (and maybe tuition assistance from your job).
So much can happen in an adult life in four years. I think starting at a BSN is always a doubtful choice. (My humble opinion- I got a diploma in 1981 and have never seen a job I wanted that required more nursing degrees, although did move into public health, not nursing, for a period of time, overseas).

Old 02-07-2009, 01:44 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,355,293 times
You cannot do public health nursing in this country w/o a BSN, except in perhaps very small communities. Many PHNs have master's degrees, and I'm talking about staff nurses.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:57 AM

17 posts, read 95,362 times
Regis University in Denver is a Jesuit college, but not affiliated with Regis College in MA. It is a private school, and it is relatively expensive. They offer several nursing programs (not just BSN). I mentioned the accelerated BSN because students with a previous degree (depending on area of concentration) can complete that program in 12 months. The OP mentioned having a previous degree...

Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,615 times
Smile nursing

I am in a 1+1 nursing program at National American University in KS, but there are campuses in Denver and Co Springs. Its a great program, its accellerated. As a lot of schools are doing, NAU's 1+1 means that your first year you get your LPN, take the NCLEX (boards) and pass it of course, then you go on with your RN year (if you choose). They allow about 2 months off between the LPN and RN year for the NCLEX. It is nearly impossible to get into any nursing program (took me literally 5 years), so I would definetly start now, if you haven't already! By the way, there are several "older" gals in my class!
They do offer financial aid. Check out [url]www.national.edu[/url]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
I've decided to go back to school to get nursing degree/RN. Have previous degree not related to healthcare. I would like ideas on what anyone else thinks would be a good plan for someone like me. Am thinking of LPN first at Front Range Community College, then working in nursing while I finish up with a BSN. Any ideas, pro and con? I am "older" but am motivated and passionate about what I see as my opportunites to go into specialized areas of nursing. Will need financial aid for school. Also, I live in the mountains, so the driving will be a consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado