Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 9,525 times

Advertisements

I have seen a number of posts about moving to a ski town. We live in New Hampshire and are looking to make a move to a Colorado ski town. We have vacationed in Steamboat, Breck, Crested Butte... Skied Vail and many others. I lived in Breck just after college. Our kids are 9 and 13... so the schools are critical. My job has me travelling 30-50% of the time... so a decent airport schedule is important. Does anyone have feedback on raising kids in a ski town? We love Crested Butte. I have spent some time researching Durango.. although not really a ski town. Thanks for your comments...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 05:31 PM

72 posts, read 250,187 times
Hope you have millions in the bank. Ski towns are completely unlivable for the average middle class family. Wouldn't we all love to move our family to a ski town? I would move mine to Whitefish , Montana or Frisco-Summit County, Co, or Alyeska, AK. Frisco-Summit County has the convenience of Denver 1.5 HR down the road with ABASIN, LOVELAND, COPPER, BRECK and the Gore range right there.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
I believe there was another thread about this just recently. In any event, any of the ski towns are a stretch for DIA accessibility. I mean, it's almost an hour from here in Louisville, and we are in the NW suburbs. And the only major airports in the state are DIA, and Colo. Springs, with DIA being far busier, therefore having more flights.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,709 times
Access to DIA from any CO ski town is pretty sketchy. A viable option would be the airport at Eagle or the commercial schedule out of Steam Boat.
You might want to check out Park City, UT, also. Quick access to SLC and lots of great skiing. You'll have to research the schools though.
Good Luck with your search. Like someone else said, 'a lot of us would like to live in a ski town', but that little item of affording it keeps getting in the way

Old 03-08-2008, 07:32 PM

I think Park City is a great idea. My cousin was looking for same and ended up going with Park City b/c of the airport access. I forgot all about that. Yes, much better access than the ski towns of CO to DIA.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:06 AM

14 posts, read 60,441 times
I grew up in Crested Butte and Gunnison. We were able to afford a much better quality of life once we moved to Gunnison. Plus, at the time, after 6th grade, you were bussed to Gunnison anyway. The biggest thing I remember from my childhood is going skiing every Tuesday for school! How cool is that?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 9,525 times
Thanks for all the feedback. Just curious on the cost of living thing... is the major factor here housing or are there other significant considerations? It seems that housing cost is fairly similar to what we have here in NH, (unless you go for a large home). I am fortunate that I would not need a job locally as I can work remotely from almost anywhere, if there is a decent airport nearby... which is the other challenge.

I see a number of posts form folks that don't think a ski town is a good place to raise kids. Does anyone that has raised their family in a ski town have a comment? There are drugs and alcohol everywhere. Curious if there are social issues to consider as well....

Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 AM

739 posts, read 2,948,506 times
I'll only speak to the DIA/flights thing-
we seriously considered moving to Eagle/Vail Valley area. YOu'll find Eagle to be a great community, great schools and affordable (relatively speaking for Vail Valley). The huge sticking point at this juncture in our lives is the airport situation. I guess it depends on where you are traveling- i.e. if you are going ot Dallas or Chicago often, the flights may be more frequent and affordable out of eagle. My husband travels frequently, probably similar to your percentage and he was really scared about being that far from a major airport (DIA). That killed the deal for us. I love it up there, great community but he did not want to be 3 hrs from DIA (in good weather) and traveling every 2 weeks or more. We also can work remotely from anywhere. DM me if you want more specifics.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandFamily View Post

I see a number of posts form folks that don't think a ski town is a good place to raise kids. Does anyone that has raised their family in a ski town have a comment? There are drugs and alcohol everywhere. Curious if there are social issues to consider as well....
Well, I didn't raise mine in a ski town, so I can't tell you from experience. They do have schools up there, sports and the like, so it's do-able. Raising kids near a college town has meant that the kids want to do college-type stuff in high school, e.g, wander the Pearl St. Mall, etc. But kids everywhere want to do adult-type activities.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandFamily View Post
Re: raising kids -- There were a variety of reasons we very deliberately chose to raise our son in a ski resort; now that we've done it, I see many, many more pluses than minuses to having raised my child in a ski town -- Steamboat Springs, in our case. It was a nice way to grow up, imho, with eclectic entertainment possibilities and huge sports/outdoor fun options, and with some contact with people from other parts of the world who were visiting or working here for a season, but also with the small-town pluses of knowing most folks who lived here, small-enough classrooms, being totally safe anywhere at any hour, etc. He is now 21 and in college elsewhere and says he remembers his childhood fondly.

Not sure what's meant by "social issues," but happy to give an opinion if I have one. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado