Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in New York City?
Yes, I would like to live in New York City. 10 37.04%
No, I don't want to live in New York City. 17 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:49 AM

12,259 posts, read 24,359,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
Colorado Springs has nine TV stations and as far as I know they are not 'shared' with any other city. They do cover weather and news in nearby communities such as Woodland Park, Monument, Pueblo, and Falcon. Three of the Stations say 'Colorado Springs/Pueblo' but they are located in Colorado Springs - I think this is more of a need to cover Pueblo news since they don't have their own stations.
9 stations? I know of 4 major ones that do news and one PBS.

KOAA, NBC, is number one for the region and is located in Pueblo and they broadcast from Pueblo. They have a news office in the Springs.

KKTV and KRDO, CBS and ABC, broadcast from the Springs but have a big presence in Pueblo with news offices.

FOX news 21 again is in the Springs but has a presence in Pueblo

Rocky Mountain PBS is in Pueblo.

It does not matter where the station is located, however, the bottom line is they are in both cities and as they grow they will be tied to the hip of each other like Minneapolis/ St Paul and Dallas Fort Worth as those cities share the same media.

As far as coverage the Springs is bigger so they get more coverage as Pueblo grows Pueblo will get more coverage. That being said neither city lacks for news coverage from any media source.

Sorry I know this is off topic but I wanted to address it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
It's not the actual teams themselves, it's the population and infrastuture that normally goes with those cities. Green Bay, that's a town now, no two ways about it. Milwaukee (a real city) should have the Packers and not Green Bay. But most other teams, pretty much fit the bill. Would you rather have a major operation in Pueblo or Denver? Things like that is what defines cities. Now please don't look up some great hospital in some little town somewhere, you get what I'm trying to say.

As far as the world cities goes, it's pretty easy, if you've never heard of the place, it's probably a town (that is assuming you have a little knowledge about the world). Some towns can get big, but a true city in my eyes has to look and feel like one. Sprawling outwards does nothing enhance a town. You need a good 'city core' to reach that stutus. The cities back East are great at making my point. The cities at west are a little different.

One other thing, when you leave the city limits of a 'town', it won't take long before it's undevolped land. A couple miles away and it's like you fell off the face of the earth or something. A little hard using that example at West again though.
The bottom line is by true defination Pueblo and Colorado Springs are cities even if we do not have pro-teams but to be honost I see that changing in the next 20 years as we continue to grow and top 1.5 million people....

Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,060,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The bottom line is by true defination Pueblo and Colorado Springs are cities even if we do not have pro-teams but to be honost I see that changing in the next 20 years as we continue to grow and top 1.5 million people....
They better start working on their 'skylines' fast then, otherwise, they'll ALWAYS just be big towns! Which I never see them passing that label anyway. 10 stories ain't a sky scaper!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
They better start working on their 'skylines' fast then, otherwise, they'll ALWAYS just be big towns! Which I never see them passing that label anyway. 10 stories ain't a sky scaper!
Agreed we do need to work on our sky lines but before the economic downturn both cities had high rises being planned. Pueblo a 23 and 16 story one and the Springs a 20 to 25 story one. That got put on hold but as the economy recovers, and it will, its only a matter of time before we get some.

Also, keep in mind, that Pueblo has the second largest downtown in the state with a Riverwalk that will go to the baseball stadium and a historic area only surpassed by Denver's. So we have the footprint for a world class downtown and that is more then half the battle to having a successful downtown as we grow. In fact the state is planing on growth by building a new 4th street bridge that will be 6 lanes and cost over 30 million dollars and will have the largest span between two peers in the state.

BTW as a side not Pueblo's tallest building is 17 stories. We even have a "heavy industrial high rise" at the power plant for the master controll that is 30 stories high.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 PM

[quote=Josseppie;7535484]Agreed we do need to work on our sky lines but before the economic downturn both cities had high rises being planned. Pueblo a 23 and 16 story one and the Springs a 20 to 25 story one. That got put on hold but as the economy recovers, and it will, its only a matter of time before we get some.

Also, keep in mind, that Pueblo has the second largest downtown in the state with a Riverwalk that will go to the baseball stadium and a historic area only surpassed by Denver's. So we have the footprint for a world class downtown and that is more then half the battle to having a successful downtown as we grow. In fact the state is planing on growth by building a new 4th street bridge that will be 6 lanes and cost over 30 million dollars and will have the largest span between two peers in the state.

Are you trying to say that Pueblo or the Springs has a skyline? Come on now, you've been to the east coast. And I'm sure you've seen the skyline's of other cities around the country. Wow, you really do think that Pueblo is some bustling city? .....

Old 02-19-2009, 02:25 PM

[quote=pittsteelerfan;7535907]
Quote:
Agreed we do need to work on our sky lines but before the economic downturn both cities had high rises being planned. Pueblo a 23 and 16 story one and the Springs a 20 to 25 story one. That got put on hold but as the economy recovers, and it will, its only a matter of time before we get some.

Are you trying to say that Pueblo or the Springs has a skyline? Come on now, you've been to the east coast. And I'm sure you've seen the skyline's of other cities around the country. Wow, you really do think that Pueblo is some bustling city? .....
Its all a matter of perspective, compared to NYC or Boston no compared to the rocky mountain region yes Pueblo is a bustling city. Going south you have to drive to Albuquerque to find a larger city, going east its in the next state, say Kansas City or Oklahoma City and west is Salt Lake city.

BTW La is the second largest city in the country and they have a lousy sky line and no pro football team lol

Old 02-19-2009, 02:36 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,269,911 times
Quote:
BTW as a side not Pueblo's tallest building is 17 stories. We even have a "heavy industrial high rise" at the power plant for the master controll that is 30 stories high.
...and grain silos that are 14 stories high! Wow! Top of the World Ma! Pueblo! When you leave Pueblo... you've ... left the reservation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie
That being said neither city lacks for news coverage from any media source.
What?! Pueblo doesn't have enough bar knife-stabbings and ... things floating down the Fountain Creek and State Fair News and Stimulus Jobs Created to warrant its own am radio station, much less a TV network! Pueblo has to piggyback off of Colorado Springs for news coverage and that's that! Pueblo doesn't even have a Jim Rome radio affiliate anymore. They changed 1350 over to some stupid am oldies station. Who listens to music on am? Old farts, there's this invention called 2-speakers... stereo! It kind of matches our 2 ears!

You know, Pueblo's telecommunications industry uses the 16 baud modem to connect with the outside world; that's 16 smoke signal clouds/minute.

And we're gonna compare Pueblo Colorado to the City!

Quote:
Going south you have to drive to Albuquerque to find a larger city, going east its in the next state, say Kansas City or Oklahoma City and west is Salt Lake city.
Ummm, WRONG! To the east you've got Wichita which rivals Colorado Springs in size and Pueblo can't be braggin' that hard about how much bigger it is than Grand Junction to its west, Santa Fe to its south, or Garden City and Dodge City to its east.

Quote:
Pueblo is also more cosmopolitan then the Springs and I say that as a gay person who see's how the cities are towards minorities directly!
And I'm a non-gay majority and I have a perspective too! Cosmopolitan does NOT describe this podunk "TOWN" in any shape or form! Bah! That thought is just a laugh!

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-19-2009 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: I'm not done yet Joss so just settle down there Beavis.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
...and grain silos that are 14 stories high! Wow! Top of the World Ma! Pueblo! When you leave Pueblo... you've ... left the reservation.

What?! Pueblo doesn't have enough bar knife-stabbings and ... things floating down the Fountain Creek and State Fair News and Stimulus Jobs Created to warrant its own am radio station, much less a TV network! Pueblo has to piggyback off of Colorado Springs for news coverage and that's that! Pueblo doesn't even have a Jim Rome radio affiliate anymore. They changed 1350 over to some stupid am oldies station. Who listens to music on am? Old farts, there's this invention called 2-speakers... stereo! It kind of matches our 2 ears!

You know, Pueblo's telecommunications industry uses the 16 baud modem to connect with the outside world; that's 16 smoke signal clouds/minute.

And we're gonna compare Pueblo Colorado to the City!
I listen to 590 KCSJ all the time and they give great news about Pueblo with Lee Roberts. KOAA is in Pueblo and will re main so and they are the most influential news organization outside of the Denver Metro area and are as influential as any station in Denver. Finally the Pueblo Chieftain has the honor of having the highest penetration rate in a market over all the newspapers in America and they reach all 16 counties in southern Colorado, the Gazette can not say that.

Pueblo is also more cosmopolitan then the Springs and I say that as a gay person who see's how the cities are towards minorities directly!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I listen to 590 KCSJ all the time and they give great news about Pueblo with Lee Roberts. KOAA is in Pueblo and will re main so and they are the most influential news organization outside of the Denver Metro area and are as influential as any station in Denver. Finally the Pueblo Chieftain has the honor of having the highest penetration rate in a market over all the newspapers in America and they reach all 16 counties in southern Colorado, the Gazette can not say that.

"Pueblo is cosmopolitan"? ..... Those two thing should NEVER be put in the same paragraph, let alone sentence. Your idea of "cosmopolitan" is ALOT different than most people! ......

Old 02-19-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
"Pueblo is cosmopolitan"? ..... Those two thing should NEVER be put in the same paragraph, let alone sentence. Your idea of "cosmopolitan" is ALOT different than most people! ......
Again its all a matter of perspective I said Pueblo is more cosmopolitan then the Springs that being said Denver and NYC and Boston, to name a few, are more cosmopolitan then Pueblo....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado